The New Forest

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
I took a trip to the New Forest this morning after a sleepless night for sunrise, hoping for some mist amongst the Heather which flourishes in the area at this time of year. After a 2 mile walk from the car park through some very boggy patches I made it to a misty spot with plenty of Heather and a beautiful lone tree.

Canon 5D Mark iii | Canon 16-35mm f4 L | 4 shot HDR in Lightroom CC.

An intimate detail image created this morning also. Controlled heathland burning is carried out annually in the park, with the aim to regenerate the heather and gorse, while killing invading species and preventing wildfires. It also makes a very interesting photographic subject, with plenty of textures and tones entwined.

Canon 5D Mark iii | Canon 16-35mm f4 L

A lone tree, surrounded by swirling mists. I went for a deliberate amount of vast empty space, to really add to the impact of the desolate surroundings of the tree.

Canon 5D Mark iii | Canon 70-200mm f4 L IS

Last edited:
Normally I hate close ups and these sort of detail shots, but the second is strangely curious and works well. Its so different it will probably win you LPOTY next year.

1st one I quite like. Technically its fine, I prefer just to lift a little more shadows and maybe a tad more saturation but its just a case IMHO of a little, not a lot as is much about preference more than anything. I like the subtle lead in line and good sky, its a decent spot.

Very nice and well worth the walk. I'm rubbish at landscape and can only aspire to photos like this.

The third is my favourite of the set. I find the second shot quite interesting, it reminds me of flattened forestry.

James

This is where I read the comments of others and get worried, because only the first one works for me. I really like it but I think the foreground needs 'lifted' somewhat in therms of brightness and the drama of the sky could be enhanced in PP . Two and three.... Emperor's new clothes spring to mind. Number two does nothing for me and number three just looks like a picture of a tree in fog.....

The first is very nice...peaceful, tranquil.
I'm very pleased you weren't tempted to push the colours too far as I can imagine this looks pretty much as you saw it.

The second I'm afraid does nothing for me, sorry.

The third is definitely the one for me.
Great use of almost empty space with the changes in cloud cover retaining interest in the upper third.

Normally I hate close ups and these sort of detail shots, but the second is strangely curious and works well. Its so different it will probably win you LPOTY next year.

1st one I quite like. Technically its fine, I prefer just to lift a little more shadows and maybe a tad more saturation but its just a case IMHO of a little, not a lot as is much about preference more than anything. I like the subtle lead in line and good sky, its a decent spot.
3rd one. Now you're taking.
Thanks Steve! :) Glad you like the second too!
For me the colours and exposure are natural, which is what I aim for, so I'm happy with it. As you say, personal preference.
Very nice and well worth the walk. I'm rubbish at landscape and can only aspire to photos like this.
Thank you Dominic. It's all in the practice.
The third is my favourite of the set. I find the second shot quite interesting, it reminds me of flattened forestry.

James
Thanks James :)
number 1 for me

cracking shot
Thank you!
This is where I read the comments of others and get worried, because only the first one works for me. I really like it but I think the foreground needs 'lifted' somewhat in therms of brightness and the drama of the sky could be enhanced in PP . Two and three.... Emperor's new clothes spring to mind. Number two does nothing for me and number three just looks like a picture of a tree in fog.....
Thanks for your comments. Why worried?
The foreground is a natural representation of what I saw, and is actually on the verge of being too bright for me. A soft dawn sky with a light mist isn't a drama filled event, so it's not something I intend to create in PP. The second was always going to be a shot that divides people, it's definitely marmite. The third is a picture of a tree in fog, mission accomplished.
The first is very nice...peaceful, tranquil.
I'm very pleased you weren't tempted to push the colours too far as I can imagine this looks pretty much as you saw it.

The second I'm afraid does nothing for me, sorry.

The third is definitely the one for me.
Great use of almost empty space with the changes in cloud cover retaining interest in the upper third.
Thanks Ruth :) As above the second is an opinion divider, it's different from my usual bag, and normally I struggle to make the detail shots, but I'm pleased with this one.
The first is, as you say, a natural representation of the scene.

Number 1 is very nice mate, great mix of colours. It was really nice before that mist lifted just a bit too high!

Number 2 doesn't do much for me, but it was very well spotted none the less and does tell the story of what they do to the forest well.

Number 3 is very nice, the portrait crop complements the shape of the tree nicely.

Sorry I didn't see you before you went, but I seemed to have gone off quite some distance! Haha.

Number 1 is very nice mate, great mix of colours. It was really nice before that mist lifted just a bit too high!

Number 2 doesn't do much for me, but it was very well spotted none the less and does tell the story of what they do to the forest well.

Number 3 is very nice, the portrait crop complements the shape of the tree nicely.

Sorry I didn't see you before you went, but I seemed to have gone off quite some distance! Haha.
Cheers mate! :) No worries, I couldn't see any of you, thought I better call someone in case you decided to hang about waiting for me or something!

Hi Mate, i see your early morning run to the forest went well.
Of the 3 Number 1, is my pick, just to differ from the consensus, and very well processed its too. I think you did a good job of the HDR Jake, to lift the foreground any further like you say would not be good think your right on the break point there to retain reality. The contrast between the Ferns and the Heather works very nicely, and nice shroud of mist covering the marching pine trees on the left.
Really nice light muted soft tones of the sunrise, very nice(y)

No 2, Its really interesting when you study it, all those red stems and the abstract patterns. When you look it it there is a myriad of colours in there. You can see how the burning off increases the diversity of these heath lands, although i thought they had done away with burning now. Anyhow I thought it was a shot of the inside of my hike boots at first:D or could this be the red weed form war of the worlds? Nice shot Jake very different(y)

No3, Like all the different tones in this shot, think as said the portrait looks good here and reveals the subtle layers well.

Hi Mate, i see your early morning run to the forest went well.
Of the 3 Number 1, is my pick, just to differ from the consensus, and very well processed its too. I think you did a good job of the HDR Jake, to lift the foreground any further like you say would not be good think your right on the break point there to retain reality. The contrast between the Ferns and the Heather works very nicely, and nice shroud of mist covering the marching pine trees on the left.
Really nice light muted soft tones of the sunrise, very nice(y)

No 2, Its really interesting when you study it, all those red stems and the abstract patterns. When you look it it there is a myriad of colours in there. You can see how the burning off increases the diversity of these heath lands, although i thought they had done away with burning now. Anyhow I thought it was a shot of the inside of my hike boots at first:D or could this be the red weed form war of the worlds? Nice shot Jake very different(y)

No3, Like all the different tones in this shot, think as said the portrait looks good here and reveals the subtle layers well.
Hi mate, it didn't go too badly, I went to that BBQ as discussed, ended up doing an all nighter though! Felt like crap!
Thanks for your comments on the images! I think you need to have a clean up of your hiking boots though! :LOL:

Love the first one,Jake and the foreground heather with its vibrance sets the theme.T he tree image is ethereal and quite a contrast to the first one yet in the same area. Up at dawn again then..Lol.

Re. the second one I'm none the wiser. It looks like a fungus…..dunno..

Love the first one,Jake and the foreground heather with its vibrance sets the theme.T he tree image is ethereal and quite a contrast to the first one yet in the same area. Up at dawn again then..Lol.

Re. the second one I'm none the wiser. It looks like a fungus…..dunno..
Cheers John :) Yep, well in fact I was up all night, so it was easier this time!
1st one for me, although (this could be my personal taste) the foreground could be lightened a tad? Perhaps ND filter over the top half, increase the shutter. Or alternatively via Photoshop.
Thanks Damien :) For me it's about right, especially viewed on my home screen, which is calibrated (this work screen makes it look a lot darker).

... only the first one works for me. I really like it but I think the foreground needs 'lifted' somewhat in therms of brightness and the drama of the sky could be enhanced in PP .
So you'd rather it was more lurid? I wonder how many others feel like this? As it stands it's an excellent result of hdr, that much-abused technique - because it doesn't smack of false drama, but accords with the natural emotion in such a scene. A photograph doesn't have to shout to be good.

1 and 3 for me too Jake, composition in both are really nice although I agree with Steve re the shadows in no.1.
Also leaves me wondering if there's an additional shot to be had with low sun skimming the surface of the heather and bracken?
In any case mate, nice shots.

HAHA! Fair enough, as stated, it's more of a personal preference for me to have the foreground slightly lighter than the background.

It's a great shot non-the-less, well done.
So you'd rather it was more lurid? I wonder how many others feel like this? As it stands it's an excellent result of hdr, that much-abused technique - because it doesn't smack of false drama, but accords with the natural emotion in such a scene. A photograph doesn't have to shout to be good.
Thanks Rog! Glad you approve :)
1 and 3 for me too Jake, composition in both are really nice although I agree with Steve re the shadows in no.1.
Also leaves me wondering if there's an additional shot to be had with low sun skimming the surface of the heather and bracken?
In any case mate, nice shots.
Thanks Neil, sadly the sun never made it up for quite a while, the fog blocked it all out shortly after this was taken.

First shot for me is bang on, I've already said I think it's up there as one of your best, and I stand by that comment.

The other two just don't do anything for me at all, but then you know me and my style, it's hardly surprising :)

First shot for me is bang on, I've already said I think it's up there as one of your best, and I stand by that comment.

The other two just don't do anything for me at all, but then you know me and my style, it's hardly surprising :)
Cheers mate :) The other 2 are definitely a world apart from your style!

Very nicely done, the first in particular is a cracker. So refreshing to see such subtle processing, that you haven't lost the feel of the time of day. A great example of HDR done right.
The second is not really to my taste, BUT I could see it being really effective blown up large and mounted on a wall.
The third makes me a little jealous, I love trees in the mist, taken many, but never come up with anything this good, must try harder :)
Excellent set, a morning well spent.

No I don't believe I used the word lurid anywhere in my post - in fact I've just checked and now I'm sure I didn't. ;)

I dislike over-processing and I cringe sometimes when I see overcooked images (rarely on TP but very often in landscape groups on Facebook). I was simply expressing my opinion that the overall effect could be enhanced with further PP - I certainly wasn't suggesting a HDR-fest. But I still really like the image - as I said in my post.

Very nicely done, the first in particular is a cracker. So refreshing to see such subtle processing, that you haven't lost the feel of the time of day. A great example of HDR done right.
The second is not really to my taste, BUT I could see it being really effective blown up large and mounted on a wall.
The third makes me a little jealous, I love trees in the mist, taken many, but never come up with anything this good, must try harder :)
Excellent set, a morning well spent.
Thank you Steve :) I think the second would work well as part of a project or a set, I think it would have a better effect. I will have to get back down there and try some more.
I got lucky with the mist around the tree, it's the same tree from the first shot believe it or not :)

Thank you Steve :) I think the second would work well as part of a project or a set, I think it would have a better effect. I will have to get back down there and try some more.
I got lucky with the mist around the tree, it's the same tree from the first shot believe it or not :)

Hmmm, yes the idea of a series sounds good, could see it working well on canvas for the added texture???
Yes, I did spot that it looked like the same tree, amazing how different they can look under different conditions and they change so much through the year too. Have had an ongoing project myself, recording a single tree over the last couple of years. Was hoping for a clear sky saturday evening to get the supermoon rising behind my tree, but it doesn't look like the clouds are going to play ball at the moment:(

Hmmm, yes the idea of a series sounds good, could see it working well on canvas for the added texture???
Yes, I did spot that it looked like the same tree, amazing how different they can look under different conditions and they change so much through the year too. Have had an ongoing project myself, recording a single tree over the last couple of years. Was hoping for a clear sky saturday evening to get the supermoon rising behind my tree, but it doesn't look like the clouds are going to play ball at the moment:(
Yep I think it could look good on canvas, or a nice texture rag paper. That sounds interesting, I love lone trees, I've not managed to find one near my home, and the New Forest is a bit of a drive.
I may have to start setting fires closer to home! :LOL:

Number 1 is my favourite due to the various colours and you have captured the pink sky well.

Nice shots. I think the burnt heath is also good for wildlife. This force new shoots to grow which are favorite food to some bird species. In scotland some landlord burn up to 10% of there heath every year. Now that not fact, just something i was told someday by a landlord which use her land for gamekeeper.

Number 1 is my favourite due to the various colours and you have captured the pink sky well.
Nice shots. I think the burnt heath is also good for wildlife. This force new shoots to grow which are favorite food to some bird species. In scotland some landlord burn up to 10% of there heath every year. Now that not fact, just something i was told someday by a landlord which use her land for gamekeeper.
Thank you :)
Thanks Thomas, very interesting, I initially thought it was caused by wildfire, so I'm glad it's controlled.

Back