The New Old Film Challenge #14 - The New And The Old In One Shot Entries Thread ***POLL ADDED***

Pick your favourites, poll closes in 3 days

• Andysnap - Shard and Southwark Cathedral

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Yvonne - Neew Adornments

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • medwaygreen - marlow theatre

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • excalibur2 - Wood scene

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glyn Carnell - Ruined Arch

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • NickT - Port of Liverpool

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • RaglamSurf - Latimer Crick Building

• Kevin Allen - St Nicholas Newcastle

• steveo_mcg - Belhaven Barrel

• abdoujaparor - The Shard and the Tower

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • stevelmx5 - The Tree Graces

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • chrisR - Old Citadel new young girl

• Joxby - St. Saviours Church Vs Echo Central

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Glyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Comp #14 - The subject can be anything you like but it must depict somehow 'the old & the new' - Have fun!
Usual rules apply, must be an old shot, must have been shot on film and must have been shot by you, it will run for 7 days until next Friday, then voting for 3 days.

go on then, I'll have a go, I have several that could fit this theme, but can't see me using this particular one very often.

Old Architecture, New Adornments - Shot with Pentax P30/50mm and on Portra 160 film

Early Morning Camden Lock on Film by Yvonne White, on Flickr

The new Marlowe theatre (2011) with Tamburlaine statue (1891).

Nikon L35AF and Konica Centuria 200Asa 8 years OOD

Last edited:
Well my idea is this shot as it's possible it hasn't changed much for 20 plus years..so the old and the new in one:-

Last edited:
Northampton & AAE12.jpg by Nick Watson, on Flickr

Taken on a OM1n & 50mm lens sometime in 1988ish

The building on the right is known as the Latimer & Crick building, built in the1800 it used to supply corn to Phipps brewery, it has now been converted into flats (or apartments in poncy estate agent speak) Carlsberg took over the Phipps site and built the concrete wonder that is the Carlsberg Brewery in 1973, designed by Danish architect Knud Munk.

Surprisingly few candidates for this, one. I thought I'd try this: old citadel, new young girl. Probably Mamiya U on Kodak Gold, from 1997. Bit of chromatic aberration reduced.

Its a struggle

St Saviours Church (1845) VS Echo Central apartment block (2007)

m80kg8.jpg

Well we have a clear winner. Well done to @Nick T for his well spotted Port of Liverpool.

@NickT you get to choose the next New Old Film challenge, you can find a list of previous subjects here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-film-conventional-challenge-index-thread.570945/

Challenges run for 7 days (or as near as we can manage), with 3 days for voting.

Thank's to everyone who took part.

Well done @NickT , cracking shot. And well done to close runners up @Glyn Carnell & @stevelmx5

Thank you to all who voted for my effort. I send my congratulations and commiserations to the runners up, Glyn and Steve. Some people may have noticed that the Port of Liverpool building is also in Steve's photo on the right. The Mann Island building in my entry was shortlisted for the Carbuncle Cup (Building Design's award for bad architecture) in 2012. The building from which Steve's photo was taken was shortlisted for the same in 2011. If the two people on the left of Steve's photo were not there, you could see the Carbuncle Cup winner (the ferry terminal) for 2009. I must admit that I dislike the ferry terminal's looks but Building Design magazine have clearly not considered the potential for photographers in the other buildings I mentioned.

I shall think of a suitable subject for the next round as soon as I can and then start an entry thread.

Back