The new Sony A9 - What are your thoughts

I would love an a9 and a few lenses but I'm unlikely to spend so much money on snaps these days, my gear doesn't pay for itself anymore... more important stuff to buy anyway.

Last edited:
ThatCameraGuy tested the new 1.01 A9 firmware. And as suspected it doesn’t fix the overheating itself. But it delays the overheating indicator warning time so that it doesn’t appear 10 minutes before the actual shutdown.

ThatCameraGuy tested the new 1.01 A9 firmware. And as suspected it doesn’t fix the overheating itself. But it delays the overheating indicator warning time so that it doesn’t appear 10 minutes before the actual shutdown.
The angry photographer didn't encounter the overheating.. And he hates Sony so tried his best to make it overheat

Na it doesn't. But that guy has been extremely unlucky to have two cameras have the same issue.

But if they are only trying to mask with a delayed warning then that's poor. Hopefully they will offer a free replacement service or batch recall of there is indeed a problem. I know if I spent 4.5k and it overheated and my mates didn't id not trust mine.

Last edited:
But if they are only trying to mask with a delayed warning then that's poor. Hopefully they will offer a free replacement service or batch recall of there is indeed a problem. I know if I spent 4.5k and it overheated and my mates didn't id not trust mine.
Yea definitely

I would love an a9 and a few lenses but I'm unlikely to spend so much money on snaps these days, my gear doesn't pay for itself anymore... more important stuff to buy anyway.
Same here, hence why I dumped Sony and moved to Fuji... still got a fair bit of kit but not as much in terms of cost.

I heard you moving back to Sony next week
Haha not yet :D ..... I am not sure why I would need the Sony system at present.... when/if I go full-time professional then maybe but even then it would be hard to justify. :eek:

I read a rumour today that the Japanese Government are involved in a plan to merge Nikon/Fuji in some way to protect Nikon from going under. I've only seen it in one place so may be wrong but it's interesting to see how the protection of the flagship brand would be an important priority.

(Before I get told off for talking about non-Sony brands, I just thought I'd share it here because there's a cross section of owners!)

Edit: I didn't see the other post!

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/are-fuji-taking-over-nikon.655881/

Last edited:
Brilliant shooting yesterday with the A9. much more responsive than the a7r2 and the eye af is amazing

Thanks Jonney, reassuring to read that after trading my D800e and 70-200 vr2, A7r2 and moving on my 90mm macro, as well as a kidney to purchase the A9 today.

I have a shoot tomorrow and so looking forward to trying it out. I still have the A7r2 until Monday as backup, then the backup will be the A6000 until I can afford a 6300 or 6500!

Thanks Jonney, reassuring to read that after trading my D800e and 70-200 vr2, A7r2 and moving on my 90mm macro, as well as a kidney to purchase the A9 today.

I have a shoot tomorrow and so looking forward to trying it out. I still have the A7r2 until Monday as backup, then the backup will be the A6000 until I can afford a 6300 or 6500!
I would personally use the A7R2 as backup! What do you shoot though? Weddings?

No, nothing that critical! One body is all I use, but hung on to the nikon for the af - the A9 af is incredible.

You like it?

Well, I have always been a big fan of Sony and how they keep charging forwards with each model they make..... the Sony A9 is incredible and I would go as far to say this is the death of DSLR's if both Nikon and Canon don't start innovating within the next 12-24 months.

But did you buy it, or is it when are you buying it :D

Not yet :D

Well, I have always been a big fan of Sony and how they keep charging forwards with each model they make..... the Sony A9 is incredible and I would go as far to say this is the death of DSLR's if both Nikon and Canon don't start innovating within the next 12-24 months.

Not yet :D

They've been saying that since mirrorless cameras came out. I sure that this a great camera but, as has been pointed out on several forums, Sony lack the lens line up to attract someone like myself and many others with similar interests. I have several friends who have thought about buying previous Sony cameras but didn't want to run two systems to cater for their different requirements.

They've been saying that since mirrorless cameras came out. I sure that this a great camera but, as has been pointed out on several forums, Sony lack the lens line up to attract someone like myself and many others with similar interests. I have several friends who have thought about buying previous Sony cameras but didn't want to run two systems to cater for their different requirements.

I agree that mirrorless bodies have been close but not surpassed DSLR's in terms of performance, that's has now changed with the Sony A9, it was only a matter of time before Sony cracked it, I would also say Fuji will be the next company to match/exceed DSLR performance levels with their XT-3.

Sony are releasing the FE 400mm f2.8 / 4 and 135mm f1.8 this summer so they are no doubt working hard to get the long tele-photo primes out for the Pro market, I would say that the lens lineup is very good considering Sony has only been in this market segment (FF mirrorless) for about 4 years. Sigma will be joining the FE crowd soon.
4 years from the original A7 and now we have the A9, I think its safe to say that the DSLR's day is well and truly numbered unless Canon and Nikon pull something out of the bag.

Just wait it out, the Sony lenses your after will come.... give it time :)

Have you seen the new Canon 6d mk2? Underwhelmed. Even the old A7mk2 is more appealing
The problem I see is that both Canon and Nikon have stood on their brand and not innovated or looked outside the box, now what can they do apart from re-release new versions of existing lenses and perform incremental upgrades/downgrades of their bodies..... another 2 years of this and their market share will crumble at the hands of Sony :D

The thing with exceeding DSLR's is it's a personal evaluation. CSC's exceeded DSLR's for me years ago.

The problem I see is that both Canon and Nikon have stood on their brand and not innovated or looked outside the box, now what can they do apart from re-release new versions of existing lenses and perform incremental upgrades/downgrades of their bodies..... another 2 years of this and their market share will crumble at the hands of Sony :D

I'll keep saying this... Even if Canon bring out something that's only mediocre to compete with the A7rII let alone the A9 they have such a following because of lens ownership and brand loyalty they could and probably would go straight to number 1 in the CSC hit parade.

That's true. Sony had to go mirrorless if you think about it and provide something completely new, they weren't going anywhere with DSLR or dslt technology vs canikon. Push out something different, market the crap out of it and hope for the best.

It's paying off for Sony, they just need to keep up the pace. Everybody loves something 'new'.

I guess the main question I have is, why do Sony/CSCs have to exceed/replace DSLRs? They are essentially different solutions to the same requirement so realistically they can both run side by side.

A photography forum, particularly threads like this one, that is aimed solely at one manufacturer, will always have polarised views but the fact is, CaNikon systems are still perfectly capable of delivering the results that both Pro and Amateur photographers need day in and day out and that won't change just because Sony bring out a good camera.

The fact that Sony are possibly at the point where they've ironed out some of the major limitations of mirrorless technology like patchy AF in lower light, overheating due to their requirement of having the sensor active all of the time, shorter battery life etc is a good thing for those photographers that like to use Sony kit but that doesn't mean Sony has to kill off CaNikon at the same time.

Last edited:
Very good comments, perhaps I was a little harsh with my comments about DSLR's dying ...... but they do need to do something new to spice things up a little bit.
Competition is good in the market place.

I guess the main question I have is, why do Sony/CSCs have to exceed/replace DSLRs? They are essentially different solutions to the same requirement so realistically they can both run side by side.

A photography forum, particularly threads like this one, that is aimed solely at one manufacturer, will always have polarised views but the fact is, CaNikon systems are still perfectly capable of delivering the results that both Pro and Amateur photographers need day in and day out and that won't change just because Sony bring out a good camera. The fact that Sony are possibly at the point where they've ironed out some of the major limitations of mirrorless technology like patchy AF in lower light, overheating due to their requirement of having the sensor active all of the time, shorter battery life etc is a good thing for those photographers that like to use Sony kit but that doesn't mean Sony has to kill off CaNikon at the same time.

Totally agree, realistically an a7rii and lens isn't much smaller than a d750 and same spec lens. Some will always prefer ovf over evf and the comfort of a DSLR, it's comfy because it's bigger. Sony should've made the a9 in a a99ii body imho.

A photography forum, particularly threads like this one, that is aimed solely at one manufacturer, will always have polarised views but the fact is, CaNikon systems are still perfectly capable of delivering the results that both Pro and Amateur photographers need day in and day out and that won't change just because Sony bring out a good camera. The fact that Sony are possibly at the point where they've ironed out some of the major limitations of mirrorless technology like patchy AF in lower light, overheating due to their requirement of having the sensor active all of the time, shorter battery life etc is a good thing for those photographers that like to use Sony kit but that doesn't mean Sony has to kill off CaNikon at the same time.

You're far too sensible for this forum :D

For me the big draws are the compact size, in view wysiwyg / histogram / focus and exposure aids etc, being able to focus and magnify any point in the frame and being able to use manual lenses with very high focus accuracy. These are all things that no DSLR can match.

I don't use focus tracking, I have no issues shooting in low light and battery life isn't a biggie for me but I can see how these things might be better for some with a Canikon.

Last edited:
Very good comments, perhaps I was a little harsh with my comments about DSLR's dying ...... but they do need to do something new to spice things up a little bit.
Competition is good in the market place.

What do you mean new? Would you like it to make toast? Dslrs are already at the level and have been for years that the a9 has only reached now plus millions of lenses and accessories. Of course the updates appear more incremental but they are still big updates. The d750 got a tilty screen, dual cards, d4 af, Wi-Fi, best 24mp sensor and faster processing, 6.5fps... seriously. What's incremental about that over the d600?!

Last edited:
For far too sensible for this forum :D

For me the big draws are the compact size, in view wysiwyg / histogram / focus and exposure aids etc, being able to focus and magnify any point in the frame and being able to use manual lenses with very high focus accuracy. These are all things that no DSLR can match.

I don't use focus tracking, I have no issues shooting in low light and battery life isn't a biggie for me but I can see how these things might be better for some with a Canikon.

Cheers and I apologise for all that realism and fact-based posting ;0)

I fully agree with the positives and that's why I moved away from my Canon 5D/lenses to Sony NEX5/A6000 when I stepped back from shooting weddings 5 years ago. I love the fact I can use manual glass with focus peaking/magnification and the sensor in my A6000 is much better in lower light than my old Canon bodies. I walked around the Disney parks in Florida with my A6000 on a Capture clip, my Samyang 12mm in my pocket with a couple of batteries and forgot it was there most of the time so I wouldn't go back to a DSLR at the moment. However, if I was moving into sports/low light photography as a full time venture again I'd probably start back at a DSLR then look at the mirrorless options alongside them.

Last edited:
Back