The new Sony A9 - What are your thoughts

I like shooting birds and the silent shooting is something that I wanted so bought an Olympus for that reason I'm sure the Sony will have some followers for that alone .
Rob.

Bloggers are full of s***e as a rule. I read some, I don't bother now. Self promoting fantasists bowing and scraping for whoever gives them some kit to play with.

That's another sweeping generalisation chalked up on a forum full of them and other BS.

I like shooting birds and the silent shooting is something that I wanted so bought an Olympus for that reason I'm sure the Sony will have some followers for that alone .
Rob.
The A7R2 has silent shooting.

I'm saying I don't think it should be looked upon as just a sports camera.

Your list misses all the batis glass. And surely it's hugely subjective what can be used for pro work? I'd worry about you if you couldn't use the zeiss 55mm for work, or shoot with the Sony glass for a wedding.

The 20fps isn't the Only selling point for weddings/events.the longer battery life, joystick, better af, no blackout will appeal massively too. In fact, it looks like the perfect option for weddings/ events for Sony shooters. No one is asking people to jump ship.

As I said before I wouldn't advise people to switch over just because a new body has been released. But I bet people will. Canikon people seem too bored with the bodies that are being churned out, and rightly so.
im not bored with the Nikon bodies, they're created some truly great bodies over the past 2-3 years. It's just the unnecessary tripe they release in between they need to stop/cut down on ;)

Last year they released multiple g master lenses. Some primes etc etc.

I said a new lens nearly every month.
It was a genuine question. Apart from the 24-70 and 70-200 G lenses I don't know what was brought out?

Did Tamron and sigma make lenses for e mount from the get go?
Dunno, but you're missing my point :p

That's true, the D750 really is a great piece of kit. However, I bet plenty of owners would take completely silent shooting and full-AF through the tilting LCD in a heartbeat. I see the a9 more as a wedding camera than a sports camera right now.

More so than the ridiculous FPS I think those other features will be system sellers that DSLRs are struggling to replicate.
i don't like silent shutters, but I'd take the D810's over my D750 ;)
Fast AF in liveview is something that frustrates me. Granted I only use it for landscape in which case fast AF isn't needed, but it's the principle as there's no excuse for slow contrast detect AF anymore ;)

So does the Fuji XT-2 at 14fps.
The only problem I can see is, if the Sony A9 does have anomalies/IQ penalties using the 20fps silent shutter mode, reverting back to a mechanical shutter only gives you 5fps just like the A7RII.

The only problem I can see is, if the Sony A9 does have anomalies/IQ penalties using the 20fps silent shutter mode, reverting back to a mechanical shutter only gives you 5fps just like the A7RII.
You've hit the nail... until people get the camera in their hands and test it in real world conditions (rather than Sony controlled conditions) we don't know how usable the headline specs are!

With af c? Does it have any banding issues?

A lot of cameras do these days but the trouble is up til now they've all been (potentially) plagued by rolling shutter and banding under fluorescent lights.

With af c? Does it have any banding issues?

I've not tried silent shooting in the XT-2 but shot a wedding with the A7RII and used the silent shutter through the vows / ceremony etc and it worked a treat.
It was only certain lights which caused banding :)

The Fuji silent shutter is fab but it's very easy to fall foul of banding or weird distortion due to the shutter. Moving subjects are pretty much a no no in most conditions.

From the sample shots the a9 seems to be as close as things have come to a big sensor global shutter. I'm sure it won't take long for people to discover its limitations in extreme circumstances, but it would appear to be the best attempt yet.

I think it has been suggested the A9 may not have a rolling shutter but a 'total' shutter facilitated by the stacked sensor - if anybody actually knows different please say so.
I believe (but am willing to be corrected) it is a rolling shutter, but has processing to "correct" the issues this presents. It's stacked sensor design also reduces the rolling shutter issues.

Finally got to the end of 8 pages. :eek: Skipped a bit of the off topic back biting. :rolleyes:

The A9 certainly seems an interesting camera, though maybe not the game changer the hype may suggest imho. At least not in this very expensive camera. When the tech starts getting added to cameras lower in the range, then the effects may be felt.

For Pro's to buy into it there needs to be the range of lenses they are used to, and the back up that they get from their current brand. Only the individual can say what lenses they need, and what Sony are missing. I've read it mentioned that they will have this and that back up in America, but is the rest of the World getting something similar?

From the Sport pov, I can think of certain sports where a silent shutter may be beneficial, Golf, Tennis, but would they make a big enough difference to what they can already get now with what they have to go to great expense to change an entire system? Again, only the individual can say, as they, or their employers, would be the ones literally putting the money where the mouths are.

All this speculation may be moot point if the camera doesn't work as expected in the real world, by real people. It will soon become clear what was hype, and what was not. Until then the chatter continues. ;)

As far as bloggers go, have any been negative yet? Now if there aren't any yet, it could mean the camera is brilliant, but it could also mean that while bloggers may not be paid, they will either consciously or subconsciously want to be in a position to receive equipment in advance of you and me to make a living, so to rock the boat (too much at least) may not be in their best interest. ;) :whistle: There are some bloggers that do make a name for themselves being negative, but they be waiting to get the gear to be negative about it. ;) :LOL:

Now something to keep in mind with regards to Sony is that they seem to have a load of ideas, put them out there, and then drop them just as easily. The SLT was supposed to be the Holy Grail of the DSLR killer, and they have been backing up their users with updated gear. And different lens mounts. :thinking:

There will always be those that want DSLRs with an optical viewfinder, and they are still in the majority atm. There are definitely benefits to mirrorless, for the user and the manufacturer, but time will tell if this camera was the start of a noticeable change around to people's perceptions of the type of camera for them.

The Sony A9's stacked sensor with 20fps silent shutter will be old news as soon as we start seeing global shutters released widely into the consumer domain.
At present Sony is mitigating rolling shutter with software correction, how good this is remains to be seen.

I believe (but am willing to be corrected) it is a rolling shutter, but has processing to "correct" the issues this presents. It's stacked sensor design also reduces the rolling shutter issues.
This is my understanding base on '3rd party' websites

This is my understanding base on '3rd party' websites
Correct.
What I find interesting is that the mechanical shutter speed is still the same as the original and current A7 series at 5fps.
Perhaps Sony have been unable to speed up the fps up due to the shutter design/location in the current body designs?

The Sony A9's stacked sensor with 20fps silent shutter will be old news as soon as we start seeing global shutters released widely into the consumer domain.
At present Sony is mitigating rolling shutter with software correction, how good this is remains to be seen.
Why didn't they go for global shutter? Maybe the reason why is because there's a flaw on it atm?

Why didn't they go for global shutter? Maybe the reason why is because there's a flaw on it atm?
I don't think there is a flaw as Sony has proven small scale global shutters are possible with their own (IMX153) 1.1" sensor giving up to 12.3px resolution.
Sony will eventually fabricate larger APS-C / FF global shutters along with many other manufacturers, Canon have also made their own global shutter.
If you look at the history of how Sony develop their sensors, they usually roll them out via smart phones and 1" / APS-C models first... which filters upwards into their FF models.
I believe their BSI / stacked CMOS and Exmor sensor technology were all first seen in smaller models first.

Whereas the others are in it for pure charity(n) :D
:D well they are all in it to make money....... look at it like this..... Sony is now in a positive where DSLR's were when they first started off, the period where SLR's (film) and DSLR's co-existed with healthy sales in each segment.
Sony is going thru a massive technological drive which is great, I feel it will really start to harm the DSLR market in 2 years time approx...... for now the A9 is another stepping stone in the right direction.

Can't be long before we see the canikon csc's, can it?

They already released it. The m5
Which is ermmm poo! :D
For me if you want FF go Sony
APS-C go Fuji

My dream Sony setup would be...

Sony A9 + Grip
Sony 16-35mm f2.8 G Master
Sony 24-70mm f2.8 G Master
Sony 70-200mm f2.8 G Master

Oh hang one...... GAS kicking in lol :D

Last edited:
They already released it. The m5
Erm meh yeah but one body? It's not like they have a lineup of different aps-c and fullframe csc's to match the latest offerings from Fuji, Sony and M43. Do they have plenty of time and will they react only when their sales are seriously down the drain?

Erm meh yeah but one body? It's not like they have a lineup of different aps-c and fullframe csc's to match the latest offerings from Fuji, Sony and M43. Do they have plenty of time and will they react only when their sales are seriously down the drain?
And a m3. So two bodies in less than 6 months

Lol my point is canon are poor when it comes to csc. Nikon are even worse.

If the 5dmk5 or 1dx mk3 doesn't get released as a csc then I think they will be in a bit of a pickle.

APS-C go Fuji

Sony A9 + Grip

Haha now slap yourself and remind yourself you were not all that impressed with the 70-200 ;)

APS-C go Fuji

Sony A9 + Grip

Dream Full Frame for me would be the Sony A7rii sensor inside the Fuji XT2 body......

I don't think that Canon or Nikon will go the way of Kodak but... could they be that stubborn/stupid/short sighted not to get serious with mirrorless?

Thing is that many Canon and Nikon users are so loyal (even if not invested in many lenses) that if either of these companies get a CSC even half right it'll be a massive success and all those Canokon uses who've been slagging CSC's off for years will suddenly be evangelical.

Last edited:
Lol my point is canon are poor when it comes to csc. Nikon are even worse.

If the 5dmk5 or 1dx mk3 doesn't get released as a csc then I think they will be in a bit of a pickle.

But if jobbing photographers (not hobbyists, bloggers and internet celebrity 'togs) are still using Canon/Nikon bodies and lenses to deliver the results they need, where is the incentive for CaNikon to invest the millions of pounds required to deliver a whole new line of cameras/lenses to ultimately stop photographers buying the existing bread and butter systems they already produce? It's already pretty clear that Nikon are struggling financially in some of their divisions so they don't have the funds available to deliver something to compete direct with Sony.

If it makes less financial sense to create a whole new line of cameras/lenses/accessories, why would a business bother? Sony are doing it because that's their business decision and they don't have the same 30-50 year of growth/technology behind them like CaNikon do. Sony have always released 'different' cameras to stand out from the existing market rather than try to compete directly but CaNikon are the two 'stable' brands in many people's eyes and certainly to professional photographers due to the large backend support system in place which is more important than shiny bells and whistles regardless of whether you're shooting a wedding or the olympics or anything else where you need to get paid as a result.

But if jobbing photographers (not hobbyists, bloggers and internet celebrity 'togs) are still using Canon/Nikon bodies and lenses to deliver the results they need, where is the incentive for CaNikon to invest the millions of pounds required to deliver a whole new line of cameras/lenses to ultimately stop photographers buying the existing bread and butter systems they already produce? It's already pretty clear that Nikon are struggling financially in some of their divisions so they don't have the funds available to deliver something to compete direct with Sony.

If it makes less financial sense to create a whole new line of cameras/lenses/accessories, why would a business bother? Sony are doing it because that's their business decision and they don't have the same 30-50 year of growth/technology behind them like CaNikon do. Sony have always released 'different' cameras to stand out from the existing market rather than try to compete directly but CaNikon are the two 'stable' brands in many people's eyes and certainly to professional photographers due to the large backend support system in place which is more important than shiny bells and whistles regardless of whether you're shooting a wedding or the olympics or anything else where you need to get paid as a result.
same could be said back in the slr vs DSLR era. Look what happened to Kodak....

i fear either Nikon or Canon will end up like Kodak if they continue to ignore mirrorless

same could be said back in the slr vs DSLR era. Look what happened to Kodak....

i fear either Nikon or Canon will end up like Kodak if they continue to ignore mirrorless

I didn't say they'd succeed forever and companies move on. Kodak might not rule the camera market any more but their films are still excellent :0)

My point was more that, just because bloggers/fans of gadgets and tech are preaching the demise of DSLRs, until those people that earn an actual living from CaNikon kit move in mass numbers to mirrorless, there's less real incentive for CaNikon to dilute their product line with another technology. I'm sure the like of the J5/M5 have their place in their comparative market but I doubt they were ever created as a real DSLR-killer as CaNikon have never been in the business of killing their own markets. Sony on the other hand are happy to release the 'latest-greatest' version of their cameras within 6 months of their previous 'latest-greatest' cameras which has annoyed all but the richest of their users.

I didn't say they'd succeed forever and companies move on. Kodak might not rule the camera market any more but their films are still excellent :0)

My point was more that, just because bloggers/fans of gadgets and tech are preaching the demise of DSLRs, until those people that earn an actual living from CaNikon kit move in mass numbers to mirrorless, there's less real incentive for CaNikon to dilute their product line with another technology. I'm sure the like of the J5/M5 have their place in their comparative market but I doubt they were ever created as a real DSLR-killer as CaNikon have never been in the business of killing their own markets. Sony on the other hand are happy to release the 'latest-greatest' version of their cameras within 6 months of their previous 'latest-greatest' cameras which has annoyed all but the richest of their users.
They ain't just bloggers. They shoot professionally.

The guy who did a 47min video about the A9 is a sports photographer

They ain't just bloggers. They shoot professionally.

The guy who did a 47min video about the A9 is a sports photographer

Yes, that guy does and I'm sure he will move over to Sony. My point was that one person, or even 100 people don't keep CaNikon afloat.

We still obviously need to see what happens moving forwards but I don't think a first generation 'sports' mirrorless camera from Sony will automatically signal the death of DSLRs and the numerous lenses, accessories and support with them.

Back