The new version of Flickr

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
I love it! and 1TB of space.

The photostream is real nice. Anyone had much chance to play around with it yet?

If you took a photo every single hour of every day it would take you over 61.5 years to fill that TB. (according to the press release)

Oooh different :D

Well I cant get it to work at all

I think it has a few teething problems, I tried the buttons at the bottom of the photos to try the new share to Facebook feature but when you click them it does nothing.

I expect it will be sorted by the time I try again tomorrow.

Sorta looks like a love child between 500px and Windows 8. Might actually start using it again. Maybe.

If they get rid of all the spam bots (fantastic capture, great light, pls look at my page)

I'm not so keen on a totally black background for viewing images - I'd prefer a dark grey background similar to when viewing a standalone image in firefox.

I like it, so even freeloaders get 1TB?
That rather pulls the rug from taking Pro member sub. :D

To be fair though can you imagine the amount of people trying to get on it seeing as they only switched it over and announced it less than an hour ago.

I've just seen this when going onto Flickr. Now I need to decide whether to keep pro membership or not. The only differences I can see are what's put on page:

http://www.flickr.com/pro/learnmore

So either ad free and stats for the membership price.

Now not to wanting to kick a gift horse in the mouth but what's the catch? Seems to be a massive increase in storage and a little too good to be true. As they are wanting everyone to post their images in high res when Internet images don't need that kind of resolution. Andy Rouse's recent blog post (8th May The Instagram Act and Internet orphans) is quite interesting, especially with this change.

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?link=blog

Differently thinking of keeping uploading only low res images, I don't see the point of posting anything higher.

Wow, that's some change.

I'd just left a load of comments, and then refreshed and BOOM! It had all changed.

Some good some bad.

Didnt know it was changing just logged on.
Horrified. Hate it with a passion. Was perfect as was. Simple easy to navigate.
Well thats just me I guess.

Gaz

Fantastic, lots of space, great design although it will take getting used too.

Haven't seen any genuine complaints yet, just people being grumbly about change.

I've just logged into my Fickr and got a surprise.

Looks good but it will take a few days to get used to it.

Last edited:
I like it but it makes me wonder why I have a 500px account now since this kicks it in the teeth for features :p

I'm just trying to get my head around what is going to happen to my pro account....

What used to be offered with a Pro account?

Flickr Pro is no longer available for purchase, but many of the Pro-only features are now part of free Flickr accounts.

Here is what you used to get with Pro:

Unlimited photo uploads (50MB per photo)
Unlimited video uploads (90 seconds max, 500MB per video)
The ability to show HD Video
Unlimited storage
Unlimited bandwidth
Archiving of high-resolution original images
The ability to replace a photo
Post any of your photos or videos in up to 60 group pools
View count and referrer statistics
Limitation of maximum image size available to others
Ad-free browsing and sharing

What do I now have with a free Flickr account?

Starting on 5/20/2013, members with free accounts on Flickr will have:

1 Terabyte of space
Upload and download in full original quality. Up to 200MB per image
Ability to create “Collections”
Post any of your photos or videos in up to 60 group pools
Limitation of maximum image size available to others

I’ve heard that Flickr Pro is no longer being offered. How does that affect me?

Starting on 5/20/2013, we will no longer be offering new Flickr Pro subscriptions. After that point, the following things will happen:

Recurring Pro users currently have the ability to renew.
Eligible Pro members have the option to switch to a Free account until 8/20/2013.
The “Gift of Pro” will no longer be available for purchase.
Pro users will no longer appear with a “Pro” badge beside their name or buddy icon.

What happens if my Pro Account expires?

If your Pro account expires, don't panic! None of your photos or videos have been deleted!

This means instead of enjoying the super-duper capacity of your Pro account, you're now subject to the limits of a free account. If you upgrade again, all of your photos will be waiting for you.

Any of your sets that disappeared will magically reappear when you renew or upgrade.

Last edited:
If I had to change anything it would be the endless group recommendations in the mobile app. Other than that i like the new UI. It makes viewing my contacts images quicker and easier.

1TB of online storage is ridiculous imho....

If you have a pro then you just renew and you keep what you have. They just don't offer it to new people from what I can tell.

It's not a bad point being made with regard to the transition from "Pro" accounts - hopefully the wording will be tightened up, as at the moment, it's not quite clear whether an existing Pro account will be charged the new double rate of $50/yr (versus $25/yr for Pro, previously) upon renewal, which I rather suspect.

(I'm also not quite sure what to make of "Eligible Pro members have the option to switch to a Free account until 8/20/2013" - and what after that point? Surely you'll always have the option of dropping to the free level?)

I'm sort of fine with the new layout, though it seems obvious it's been forced upon everyone as part of a PR campaign - much more effective in getting word out about Flickr than merely making it a new account option. Still, it would be preferable to have kept the existing options available - as is, this seems to be the one and only.

I'm not sure I'm wild about clicking on an image merely bringing one to the image view alone - I'd prefer the old system, showing you the comments as well. The community aspect is what's made Flickr quite such an enjoyable place to post - this feels like a step away from that.

Last edited:
If you have a pro then you just renew and you keep what you have. They just don't offer it to new people from what I can tell.

I'll probably let mine run out and then see if I miss anything as it looks like you can resurect Pro later should you wish to do so.

Last edited:
A thumbs up from me, too. I had no idea this was going to happen, I really should pay more attention!
I'm finding the photostreams much easier. Scrolling down is way less effort ( :) ) than clicking to another page. I'll probably view a lot more pictures now, much easier to scroll past 30 versions of essentially the same pic some people seem to do :D
It's probably nice to be able to upload full-size files but I'll still be resizing mine to around 1200px longest side.

As a long time Pro user I have no idea what's happening, the FAQs really aren't clear. My current sub doesn't expire until June 2014, but they seem to be 'offering' some sort of ultimatum to go free by August 20th.

As far as I can tell I can continue as a Pro with stats, unlimited uploads but 10mb file limits, or go free and have no stats, 1tb uploads, ads and 200mb file limits. Or pay $50 to remove ads, but still get no stats...?!

Last edited:
Why should i pay double at renewal just to get rid of adverts? :shrug:

And lose stats and unlimited uploads (admittedly that won't make much difference to most, as 1tb is fairly hefty.)

As far as I can tell they will quietly continue Pro accounts for existing users with the same benefits, so as long as you don't need more than 50mb an image I can see no possible reason to switch.

Last edited:
I've just seen this when going onto Flickr. Now I need to decide whether to keep pro membership or not.

Doesn't pro allow much higher res though? I can put up full 36MP images on mine... in fact, I've put up a couple of 80MP images with no problem.

Does anyone know how you find the camera settings data on the new Flickr. I used to like to see what settings were used to take a photo, it used to be helpful to learn from.

MIEuoZj.jpg

Last edited:
Should look familiar to anyone who has been using the FlickStackr app on iPad/iPhone. I feel a court case coming on!

Looks much better, my pro account comes with BT so I'm not bothered about that.

Presumably you will lose that when it expires though and be migrated to a free account. Although Flickr haven't explicility put it in their FAQs, websites that have checked with them directly claim that only recurring Pro users (i.e. those who pay on a rolling quarterly/annual/2 yearly basis) will be able to retain Pro accounts long term.

Weirdly, Pro accounts are the only ones to retain stats.

Back