The office - a re-worked image

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Many moons ago I posted a b+w version of this image but have subsequently re-worked it in LR4.

Pilot (1 of 1) by StampedeT2, on Flickr

I accept that this isn't your classic portrait style!

Enjoy,

Cheesy

What is it?

my least favourite image posted in the portrait section for ages, it lacks anything to make me view it again.

What is it?

my least favourite image posted in the portrait section for ages, it lacks anything to make me view it again.

And the prize for least imagination goes to ......

Joking aside, it is a tad disappointing that you are going to shun what you don't understand but I guess that is human nature. There is a person in this image and so I thought the portraits section was a good place to post it.

Cheesy

coolest job in the world!

on a constructive note i can see some chromatic aberration on the dials/control panel/idontknowwhatimlookingat on the right. otherwise its awesome!

And the prize for least imagination goes to ......

Joking aside, it is a tad disappointing that you are going to shun what you don't understand but I guess that is human nature. There is a person in this image and so I thought the portraits section was a good place to post it.

Cheesy

What is there to understand?

It is difficult to see that there is a person in the shot - it could be a tailors dummy with a helmet on!

Why do you think I know nothing of portraits?

What is there to understand?

It is difficult to see that there is a person in the shot - it could be a tailors dummy with a helmet on!

Why do you think I know nothing of portraits?

Okay Tom,drink some warm milk and calm down. At no point did I suggest you knew nothing about portraits (although some corner of my mind is regurgitating the phrase 'even paranoids have enemies' ). I merely pointed out that it was an image of someone at work and I felt it should subsequently be in the portraits section.

To add some context to the shot I wanted to invoke in the viewer a feeling of a dynamic, high pressure environment - and I think I did a reasonable job. So if you don't get it Tom, no worries; run along. If you don't like it, point made; run along. If you are just minded to be unnecessarily aggressive, run along!

Ace Parsnip, thanks for the comment and useful critique. I wasn't sure if it was chromatic aeration or just a DOF problem!

Cheesy

Last edited:
Whilst not the best picture you have ever posted (love your pics and from angles no mere mortal will ever get the chance to do, which is why i love them) certainly not one for the wall it could certainly have place on a desk somewhere in years to come once you have retired from flying round all day taking pics lol..

Okay Tom,drink some warm milk and calm down. At no point did I suggest you knew nothing about portraits (although some corner of my mind is regurgitating the phrase 'even paranoids have enemies' ). I merely pointed out that it was an image of someone at work and I felt it should subsequently be in the portraits section.

To add some context to the shot I wanted to invoke in the viewer a feeling of a dynamic, high pressure environment - and I think I did a reasonable job. So if you don't get it Tom, no worries; run along. If you don't like it, point made; run along. If you are just minded to be unnecessarily aggressive, run along!

Ace Parsnip, thanks for the comment and useful critique. I wasn't sure if it was chromatic aeration or just a DOF problem!

Cheesy

Where, in your OP, did you point out it was someone at work?

As for a feeling of dynamism - there isn't any apart from the anger in the cloud formation.

As for a high pressure job - it is no differently high pressured than any other that needs to bring home the bacon so that their families can live well.

It is not about me getting it - it is about you understanding what a viewer needs to see to understand the emotions you were trying to evoke. IT HAS FAILED!

Just because you are able to order folk around at your job, does not mean you can order folk around outside of that environment - so why don't you run along?

As for the aggressiveness - there isn't any on my behalf but seeing as you need a chain of command to operate, I can see how you think that if someone questions your motives, you feel they are aggressive.

Back to the photo, take a good look at it and be honest with yourself and ask - could it be a tailors dummy with a helmet on just sat, motionless, in a plane?

Last edited:
The world is full of idiots...
This idiot quite likes it. Nice office. Where people work. :)

As for a high pressure job - it is no differently high pressured than any other that needs to bring home the bacon so that their families can live well

From an obviously intelligent fella, that is a total crock of **** you have just said there.

Are you going to die or kill others if you make the slightest mistake every day at work? I doubt it but strangely enough flying a fighter jet you just might and in case you haven't wondered some of us have been fighting wars for the last 20 yrs.

Last edited:

As for a feeling of dynamism - there isn't any apart from the anger in the cloud formation.

As for a high pressure job - it is no differently high pressured than any other that needs to bring home the bacon so that their families can live well.

It is not about me getting it - it is about you understanding what a viewer needs to see to understand the emotions you were trying to evoke. IT HAS FAILED!

Just because you are able to order folk around at your job, does not mean you can order folk around outside of that environment - so why don't you run along?

As for the aggressiveness - there isn't any on my behalf but seeing as you need a chain of command to operate, I can see how you think that if someone questions your motives, you feel they are aggressive.

Back to the photo, take a good look at it and be honest with yourself and ask - could it be a tailors dummy with a helmet on just sat, motionless, in a plane?

Awwww, didums! Wittle baby has spat his wittle dummy on the floor.

Let me guess, OASC reject? Or do you have such an obvious hatred for my chosen profession because daddy sent you to the Army/Navy/Air Force (delete as appropriate) cadets in a desperate hope that you'd grow up, while all you really wanted to do was play with your sisters Barbie dolls!

Genuinely, I've tried to be civil with you (reply 1). When you continued your rant I suggested that you back off (reply 2). Now I'll flag you to a Mod because you are embarrassing yourself.

Cheesy

Last edited:

Have I actually just read that? Whether you like the photo or not, a guy shot a photo of himself flying an RAF jet and you say that?

Do you have any idea what these guys go through to get to be able to do that? Do you think people just walk off the streets and start messing around in cockpits? No different from any other high pressured job? That's just about the biggest insult you could ever throw at this guy who's clearly worked his knackers off to get into the position he's in. He deserves better than to have to tolerate your ignorance.

You don't just get the prize for having the least imagination, you also get the prize for making one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen on any Internet forum.

Last edited:
Have I actually just read that? Whether you like the photo or not, or not a guy shot a photo of himself flying an RAF jet and you say that?

Do you have any idea what these guys go through to get to be able to do that? Do you think people just walk off the streets and start messing around in cockpits? No different from any other high pressured job? That's just about the biggest insult you could ever throw at this guy who's clearly worked his knackers off to get into the position he's in. He deserves better than to have to tolerate your ignorance.

You don't just get the prize for having the least imagination, you also get the prize for making one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen on any Internet forum.

Thanks for the support everyone. I think it's pretty obvious that our angry little friend is trolling for a fight. The best thing to do with people like that is to ignore them, as I fully intend to. (Unless he writes anything else so hilariously deranged that I can't help from commenting! ):D

Good shout on the DOF the more i zoom in and out the more i can see where you're coming from.

Tiler65 you have come across like a jealous child and i'm assuming 65 is your birth year? i really hope not!

Last edited:
I can't help thinking that what might have finished it off would be if the pilot was seen giving a thumbs up as well. Just my honest opinion.

You know what, I don't care who's right or wrong here. Next one mouthing off gets time off.

Good shout on the DOF the more i zoom in and out the more i can see where you're coming from.

Either DOF or vibration from the airframe I'm guessing. Some aggressive.use of the Clarity slider in LR4 will have exacerbated the effect!

I think it's a great shot. I'd hang it on my wall.

That's very kind, thanks for the comment.

I can't help thinking that what might have finished it off would be if the pilot was seen giving a thumbs up as well. Just my honest opinion.

I can see how that might inject a bit more humanity into the image. Thanks for the comment.

You know what, I don't care who's right or wrong here. Next one mouthing off gets time off.

Sounds fair! Since you are here, do you have any critique for the shot?

Best regards,

Cheesy

Does the Air Marshall know you're photographing yourself whilst flying his multi million pound jet???
:LOL:

Does the Air Marshall know you're photographing yourself whilst flying his multi million pound jet???
:LOL:

Very good question! If you look really closely you can make out the rear seat pilot (who was actually the captain for this sortie). It's all above board!(y)

I'd absolutely love to have 10 mins flight in one of those. 14yrs in the Army, nearest I got was back of a Herc :LOL:

Well I like it, I agree it's not your classic portrait shot, but one that I would love to have the opportunity to take.

Nice work only makes the likes of me jealous that you have such a great day job.

I like it! Bit of an uncomfortable office surrounded by detcord and a live ejector seat though.

I really like it. It's a great environmental portrait.

Knowing absolutely nothing about aircraft, what are those black lines above your head?

I like the photo it looks great its all down to what you want to see in the image,
We as true brits should be proud of the armed forces and support them so many lives lost to keep us all safe.
Kepp up he good work and god bless you all,i see many of you doing practice flights as I live in the Yorkshire Dales.

I really like it. It's a great environmental portrait.

Knowing absolutely nothing about aircraft, what are those black lines above your head?

The black lines are actually miniature detonation cord - essentially plastic explosive. It's part of the Ejection Seat System.

Cheesy

Before I start could I just say, great job you guys do - and without such air cover a lot more guys on the ground over the many conflicts they UK forces have been in would not be here today. Having spent a very short time with one or two of them over a good few years when I was in the kaki lot - I know some of the hard work they have to put in to get where they are and stay there – so thanks fly boys. (y)

I’ve been revisiting this image since first viewing it this morning and as Cheesy says it’s not a ‘classic’ portrait – but I don’t see why it still cannot be a portrait shot! As ‘ryanyboy’ says, it is an environmental portrait, or what I think people are now referring to as ‘lifestyle’ portraits.

I have no idea about the rules or the ways and wherefores of using the helmet visor – but it took me a while to figure out what was missing – for me, it’s the eyes, I think if you could see the eyes this would be up on the wall or desk like a flash – but without the eyes, while it is still a cracking shot, there is something missing (but I’d still put it on the desk). I know you didn’t ask for it to be C&C’d just wanted to comment. :D

At first I thought you might be doing a bit of ‘multi-tasking’ - flying with the knees and taking the shot!! :LOL:

I think it's certainly different. I might have liked to gain a bit more perspective though. Your arrow formation photo in flickr does thay for me. For this one, you could have been grounded to take it

I think it's certainly different. I might have liked to gain a bit more perspective though. Your arrow formation photo in flickr does thay for me. For this one, you could have been grounded to take it

I agree (and actually assumed he was grounded). But does it matter?

I have no idea about the rules or the ways and wherefores of using the helmet visor – but it took me a while to figure out what was missing – for me, it’s the eyes, I think if you could see the eyes this would be up on the wall or desk like a flash – but without the eyes, while it is still a cracking shot, there is something missing (but I’d still put it on the desk). I know you didn’t ask for it to be C&C’d just wanted to comment. :D

At first I thought you might be doing a bit of ‘multi-tasking’ - flying with the knees and taking the shot!! :LOL:

Superb critique, exactly what I was after, thank you! I see what you mean about the eyes and the difference they would have made. No chance at all of flying and 'togging simultaneously, the environment is a bit to unforgiving. In terms of visors, the helmet has two a dark and a clear. Both are down in this shot because of the risk of a bird crashing through the canopy doing 7 miles per minute!

Good point, well presented. I quite like the position of the camera at shutter release, so I guess perspective could have been added by having a wingman in shot or having the aircraft banked in a left hand turn. This is actually tricky to achieve because I'll never position the aircraft or formation purely for a photo. If the situation ever safely presents itself, I will try to capitalise on it. Thank you for your feedback.

Cheesy

Would a polarizing filter work on the helmet visor to see your eyes?

Cheesy, love the shot buddy! And well done for sticking your ground :)

I think you did pretty darn well considering how much room the Hawk doesn't have in the cockpit!

I like the photo it looks great its all down to what you want to see in the image,
We as true brits should be proud of the armed forces and support them so many lives lost to keep us all safe.
Kepp up he good work and god bless you all,i see many of you doing practice flights as I live in the Yorkshire Dales.

Thanks for your kind words. The Yorkshire Dales are generally (but not exclusively) the stalking grounds of the guys and girls at Leeming and Linton on Ouse. You're more likely to find these 4 Sqn jets around Wales.

Great office always enjoy your photographs, many thanks
Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

Would a polarizing filter work on the helmet visor to see your eyes?

Good question, I'm not sure. Lifting the dark visor would certainly show the eyes, but I don't know how well the image would work. It would be great if I could get enough light into the dark visor to break out the eyes and the bridge of the nose, essentially creating a shot like the cover of the 'Closer to the Edge' DVD - a truly awesome film and I don't even have the slightest interest in Motorcycles.

Cheesy, love the shot buddy! And well done for sticking your ground :)

I think you did pretty darn well considering how much room the Hawk doesn't have in the cockpit!

No problems sticking my ground (as I've learned on my most recent course, don't back an INFJ into a corner!). You're right about the room in the aircraft though!!!

Thanks for the great comments everyone.

Cheesy

Personally i think its a awesome shot. Your flickr is absolutely stunning. I'm going to have to get a print of one of those shots soon. plus keep up the good work dude, I can only imagine what it took to get your wings!

Well you don't see a shot like that every day of the week!

I think it would be a great deal better with your visor raised, then we could see your face, which after all is what a portrait is IMHO.

I am going to go with the visor down as it gives a feeling of what its meant to be, I think if the eyes where in the shot it would not have the same impact..
It looks more of an actiony sort of portrait than a one you would do for a year album or something.

Just my thoughts

Back