The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

That firdt one looks like a staircase! :)

Thanks, will check them out again.

Do they all look over sharpened or just no 1?

Thanks

Thanks, will check them out again.

Do they all look over sharpened or just no 1?

Thanks
1&2 look over sharpened to me.

Do you edit in Lightroom? If so you can choose to only sharpen the edges and give it a less drastic look.

Yes, I use LR5. Any pointers on how to sharpen the edges.

Thank you

Yes, I use LR5. Any pointers on how to sharpen the edges.

Thank you

1. Go to the sharpening module.
2. Drag the masking slider along - to say 65.
3. Hold down the "alt" button on your keyboard (it will show you what will be sharpened).
4. Adjust as necessary.

At default, you sharpen the entire image (which is basically pointless).

Thank you, will give that a go at the weekend.

Two piccies from yesterday's trip around the Snowdon Horseshoe.
This is what pocketable cameras were made for!

20150322-114439-DSCF3726-M.jpg

20150322-115310-DSCF3733-M.jpg

Last time I did Crib Goch in weather like this it was with a pocketable film camera. That's how long ago it was. Excellent shots of what looks like a glorious day on the hills.
The harsh light was like a hazy summer's day.
I'm surprised how well they came out - top marks for Fuji here :)

I got fairly bad sunburn; none of us expected to need protection in March!

1. Go to the sharpening module.
2. Drag the masking slider along - to say 65.
3. Hold down the "alt" button on your keyboard (it will show you what will be sharpened).
4. Adjust as necessary.

At default, you sharpen the entire image (which is basically pointless).

Tried as you suggested, are these any better:

DSCF5856_v2 by SEP9001, on Flickr

DSCF5852_v2 by SEP9001, on Flickr

DSCF5845_v2 by SEP9001, on Flickr

Thank you

This thread's gone a bit quiet! So BUMP :) Here's a shot of my grandson reflected in the [nice-n-shiny] work top.

X10, 125th, f2, iso 640

sebreflect by Farmejim, on Flickr

Looks like you have taken his head off with that cleaver.

Looks like a nice big AGA to cook it in.......................

Last edited:
How are you getting along with your X30 ?
Not sure about taking the plunge.
have you used the radio remote function ?

I tried the WiFi function and didn't get along with it.
It takes over the phone connectivity, so you can't dip in and out of surfing and social media while remaining hooked to the camera.
It's there if I ever need it (unlikely), and I remember in my hour of need (I doubt it).

X30 is lush though.
Not a huge step from the X10 in terms of IQ (nothing wrong with that), but the handling is sublime.

Last edited:
Looks like you have taken his head off with that cleaver.

Looks like a nice big arger to cook it in.......................
Ha ha :) But yikes :eek: Yes the Aga's a marvellous tool but mega expensive to run :(

So? Do I ditch the trusty X10 and get X20 or even 30 ? Better sensor and EVF, am I right?

Yup - definitely needs a bump.

Just had a spread of piccies published in the local paper.
Two of them were taken with my X30.
At printed size nobody would can tell which they are; the rest were taken with the 5DIII :)

A nice spread. Are you more protective of the big camera? Is there anything the Canon does that you can't do with the X30 in that sort of environment?

Both cameras are well protected while being pushed / kicked / rolled through the tighter passages and floated across the pools.
X30 goes in a Darren Barrel with some of the lights, and the 5DIII goes in a Peli Case; both have survived a trip underwater through a sump. All the kit gets piled into a caving expedition rucksack; big heavy and a real PITA to cave with.
Once they get taken out for use, the cameras are unprotected; but it's no worse than landscape photography on a stormy beach.

What the big camera offers is a much wider field of view and higher ISO.
The caves I'm photographing aren't that big and with the X30 it is not possible to get back far enough to take images showing the caver in the cave as opposed to just the caver.
I'm hand-holding the camera, a real bonus for finding the compositions and works a treat with the continuous LED lighting; also means I don't have to carry a tripod (a real bonus).
On the big camera I'm using shutter priority set to the slowest I can get away with; either 1/10s or 1/8s with the 15mm fisheye. At f4 the exposure usually ends up around ISO 6400 and I bracket 5 stops letting the camera decide how best to achieve it. I merge the exposures by hand in Photoshop; I don't use HDR as I want to keep the contrasty feel to the lighting while retaining highlight and shadow detail.

Hope that answered the question :)

Could you not do a stitch Duncan or maybe an in camera pan?

I handled the x30 in Jessops when they were relatively new and i found it to be such a nice camera. Definately a step in the right direction over the x10/x20. The EVF is VERY good!

Ha ha :) But yikes :eek: Yes the Aga's a marvellous tool but mega expensive to run :(

So? Do I ditch the trusty X10 and get X20 or even 30 ? Better sensor and EVF, am I right?

Hi Jim, as you know I had a 10 and now a 20, is it better?
Well I don’t know, I find it difficult, the images from both are brilliant.
Is the 30 better still? There is nothing to tempt me; the picture output is the same.
After all, you only get out what you have put in. :).

Rhodese.

Partially agree - image quality isn't a significant change, but the X30 is a major step forwards in usability.
For example I rarely use the back screen as the OVF is so good.
and compared to the X10, the focussing is totally next generation.

As for image quality.
Printed to A3 you won't tell them apart; both will print MUCH larger.
Pixel peeping has never been a strong point with the baby X-series; don't do it!

Good morning all,
Duncan after seeing your recent work, the caving pictures in particular, I think you could make an old pop bottle perform like a top ender.

Re the focus, a little tip I came across is to set the camera to manual focus and use the AEL/AFL button as a back focus button.

Rhodese.

Last edited:
Cheers Rhodese :beer:
I'll give that a whizz as I didn't know about that trick; could be useful.

For amusement...
Just back from my first full-on caving trip, the Swildons Short Round Trip with Mad Fi as my guide. I hyper-ventilated going through the first duck. The Birthday Squeeze was properly borderline (large shoulders), but I got through. On the way out I walked into a Stalagtite and deformed the helmet lining so badly one of the rivets went into my forehead (I know this part of cave, I was really tired). My arms are covered in bruises and I suspect getting up tomorrow is really going to hurt. But WOW I feel alive at the mo - still buzzing with adrenaline.
No camera on this trip though...

Rhodese, Duncan's already pointed out that it's in the handling that the 30 has improved on the earlier incarnations of the baby X. For ME, the real bonus is the in OVF artificial horizon and also the far better legibility of the in OVF settings information (which got lost in the X20, I always felt, especially against busy bright BGs.) As with all the baby Xs, prints up to A3+ are indistinguishable from DSLR shots in terms of IQ, with the only real giveaway being the extra DoF that a smaller sensor can't help giving!

Beat me to it :D

I will admit I wasn't fan of EVF.
Since I only ever used the screen on the X10 and was quite happy with that way of working, I didn't see the EVF as a problem.
However, I now rarely use the screen - the EVF is superb!

Last edited:
Duncan

Ever thought of a wide angle adapter for the x30? The difference at the wide end might be enough to dispense with a bigger camera in those tight spots. About 10 years ago I bought myself just such an adapter for a Canon compact I had at the time and after the camera died the lens just sat in a box in my study until I remembered I had it after acquiring an x10 in December. It fits perfectly on the filter adapter and results in an effective 21mm field of view

I tried an adapter back in my early film days; an attempt to save money and avoid buying a new lens.
It wasn't very good and I've been shy of using them ever since.
If someone could convince me I'd still get an exhibition quality A3 prints using one I might be prepared to give it a go.

I'm a little gutted. I was using the XF1 last week while on holiday as I just wanted a pockatable camera one day instead of carrinying my Olympus OMD-EM5. The camera worked brilliantly all day capturing the family having fun but on getting home to review the photographs I was faced with the screen displaying "LENS CONTROL ERROR". I have now learn this is a known and commone fault with the camera :-(. The camera is only ~15 months old and has barely been used but now fear it is uneconomical to repair. I will start with the shop but being Currys I hold out little hope of any joy with getting them to do anything done :-(

Looks like just over 1100 photographs (some videos) in the last 14 months.

Last edited:
Yup - X10 is surprisingly good in situations like this.
If you dig back into the early parts of this thread I took a photo in a low-light social setting I worked out could not have been taken hand-held with a DSLR.
The X10 still cuts the mustard and I only upgraded because I abused it too badly with salt spray too may times.
The X30 is good (and may well take the same shots), but I miss my X10.......

Oops! Yup, the EVF! Have to admit that I actually prefer the EVF on the 30 to the OVF on its predecessors. Other than the reasons I gave above, also the fact that WYSIWYG through the EVF while the OVF gives a slightly vague approximation with a blob of lens in the lower right corner.

While I'm here, here's an Aurora shot that Mrs Nod took handheld but braced against a fence. Lifted a bit in PP to get the purple up.View attachment 34340

I wouldn't go that far (but thanks [on Mrs Nod's behalf!]) but it does show what the baby Xs are capable of. As with all shots, it looks far better in print than on screen. We were extremely lucky to have an almost cloud free night on the night of an extremely strong Aurora storm - it was showing through streetlights at dusk and just kept getting more impressive. Finally closed the curtains at about 03:30 because it was still lighting the room and kept waking me as it flickered!

Still got much love for the baby Xs, although there's no denying that an SLR is more capable and flexible, a compact is more than good enough sometimes!

Since I had the X-30 to hand and this water droplet was sitting on a Nasturtium seedling right beside me, it would have been churlish of me not to introduce them! Cropped and resized in camera.
View attachment 34348

Back