The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

I never said anything about the sensor size, just that the baby X cameras are compacts while the others are interchangeable lensed bodies (and lenses).

I never said anything about the sensor size, just that the baby X cameras are compacts while the others are interchangeable lensed bodies (and lenses).

True, you did not. That was just on my part, mentioning the sensor size... ;)

Difficult to know what section to stick the XF10 in, as everyone posts stuff on the X100 with all that lot, and that is not an interchangeable lens, but a compact. :thinking:

I would agree with that! (Mind you, they do have the supplementary lenses so could be lumped in with the bigger cousins!)

But I don't think I could post XF10 related stuff, in the main Fuji thread. Or could I?

It's a Fuji-X camera Jon, so it's more than welcome on the main Fuji-X thread.

Glad I asked now,reunited Jon :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Still getting out with the XF10, cracking little camera with lovely IQ and colours.

PS

Is it still worth talking in this thread, or maybe jump over to the main fuji page, when I am talking about the XF10?

As I feel I would be talking to myself on this thread, as nobody posts on here anymore.
Nobody seems to use their X20 and X30 cameras anymore. :(

As I feel I would be talking to myself on this thread, as nobody posts on here anymore.
Nobody seems to use their X20 and X30 cameras anymore. :(

Inclusion of the XF1 here seems an error as the others all share a “2/3“ sensor :(.

Edit: I completely missed the point :( :exit:

Last edited:
The old defunct faulty XF1, yes that was a 2/3 sensor. Although I was talking about the XF10 ;)
Sorry, I’m just misreading! I meant to write XQ1 but now I see that is 2/3 too and anyway nor what you are using! :(. The thread title is fine and doesn’t include the XF10 anyway so why would you want to post it here? It clearly belongs in the Fuji X thread. I’ll go the Specsavers …

Sorry, I’m just misreading! I meant to write XQ1 but now I see that is 2/3 too and anyway nor what you are using! :(. The thread title is fine and doesn’t include the XF10 anyway so why would you want to post it here? It clearly belongs in the Fuji X thread. I’ll go the Specsavers …
haha no worries. ;)

The old defunct faulty XF1, yes that was a 2/3 sensor. Although I was talking about the XF10 ;)
Never give up on a faulty XF1. I left mine in a drawer for a couple of years and now it works again!
Been taking it out to see if I’ll use a compact over my phone before I splurge on a newer compact that’s less likely to die 10 minutes into a trip. I’ll miss that manual zoom though :(

Never give up on a faulty XF1. I left mine in a drawer for a couple of years and now it works again!
Been taking it out to see if I’ll use a compact over my phone before I splurge on a newer compact that’s less likely to die 10 minutes into a trip. I’ll miss that manual zoom though :(
My faulty XF1 and went in the bin years ago. My X10 is still faulty, and refuses to work. I tried it about a month ago or so.
I was half thinking of getting an old X20 seeing the price is now really low. But I would be worried the fault would happen on that, with the lens being operated all the time.

Still use my X30 as a grab it, especially for quick close ups. Not tried my XF-1 recently but it worked fine last time I did! Just with the XF-1 had an EVF rather than just the rear screen, I preferred using the XF to using its replacement, an RX100 Sony (the Sony gives better IQ but I prefer the SOOC images from the Fuji. The EVF is what makes the Sony the compact that comes on holiday with me.)

Much prefer my X30 to my X10 or X20 as they have fairly inaccurate viewfinders, though they are a smidging smaller and lighter.
The X10 has the more unusual EXR sensor which has a unique characteristic that is rater nice.
Still use the X30 as a walk around in preference to my XT30 which is certainly more capable but bulkier and heavier.
My Xe2 is set up exclusively for doing 360x180's with a converted Samyang 7.5mm (MFT Mount replaced by a FX mount)

So I use whatever is most appropriate to take with me.

When I switched to Fuji I got an X-E2 with the 27mm pancake lens for street photography, followed by a few more lenses. Then I saw there was an X30 compact, so I got one of those as a carry-around and was amazed at the image quality viewed at 100%, compared to any of the other compacts I'd owned. It's definitely a keeper for me.

My X10 is still my main (ie only) digital camera! Mostly been used for pics of the grandkids these past few years. I'm too slow focusing on the little blighters with my most-used, manual focus film cameras... ;)

I did spot an old X30 going for a reasonable price, I was going to buy it. I would be using it continuously, and I thought the continuous twisting on and off and zooming, may cause the ribbon cable to fail. It failed on my X10, so just a bit wary. I suppose if it was very very cheap, then I would risk it.

Below, Quote from a blog.

" Fujifilm X30 A ribbon cable connencts the lens at the front of the tube to the camera body. That ribbon cable is attached to the sections of the tub, and the cable flexes. The flexing eventually damages the cable. ".

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread here; I still use my X10 (see above) but after returning from a walk with the grandchildren this afternoon, the thumb grip on the top right of the camera back has gone missing (not an added accessory, but part of the camera). It's in just the position where you need to put your thumb, so it's really annoying. I thought I saw one for sale on the evil bay, but can't find it now, only those added accessory thumbs-up style grips.

Does anyone know a way to find on of these, original or copy? Thanks.

Reviving an old thread here; I still use my X10 (see above) but after returning from a walk with the grandchildren this afternoon, the thumb grip on the top right of the camera back has gone missing (not an added accessory, but part of the camera). It's in just the position where you need to put your thumb, so it's really annoying. I thought I saw one for sale on the evil bay, but can't find it now, only those added accessory thumbs-up style grips.

Does anyone know a way to find on of these, original or copy? Thanks.

That's a shame. I had the same happen on my X-T10 but luckily I found it.

Maybe Fuji themselves will have the part, it's worth at least contacting support.

If all else fails, you could make something out of sugru to fill the gap - at least it will be a custom fit for your thumb!

Maybe Fuji themselves will have the part, it's worth at least contacting support.

If all else fails, you could make something out of sugru to fill the gap - at least it will be a custom fit for your thumb!
Bit more searching, and I found this replacement thumb grip for the XT-10, now trying to find out its dimensions. I've got a feeling it's slightly the wrong shape; I think the camera side of my missing part is flat, but I suspect the XT-10 part curves round the edge of the camera a bit. Just checked, it's not flat and does curve round the camera!

Last edited:
Bit more searching, and I found this replacement thumb grip for the XT-10, now trying to find out its dimensions. I've got a feeling it's slightly the wrong shape; I think the camera side of my missing part is flat, but I suspect the XT-10 part curves round the edge of the camera a bit. Just checked, it's not flat and does curve round the camera!

Just found this - https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4549820

About 2/3 down the page you can find the part number, they also mention the XT10 one is different, but might work. There's also an example of one made from sugru.

Just found this - https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4549820

About 2/3 down the page you can find the part number, they also mention the XT10 one is different, but might work. There's also an example of one made from sugru.
Thanks, that's useful, although not quite enough. The part number is a great tool, will do a search, but sounds unlikely. The XT-10 part is available for £4-£8 from the far East; it's profile is clearly different, but no-one has reported trying it. I guess throwing a fiver at it would be reasonable. The seller I contacted said "I am sorry we do not have size for reference, could you please check your model before purchase?" Ie he wasn't going to get it out and measure it. I have some sympathy since these guys must have warehouses full of stuff.

That DP Review thread also mentioned the add-on thumb rests. I've wondered about those, but having seen where they fall on the camera, might not work for me, as my right thumb is unusually short, result of an accident.

I have contacted Fuji, no response so far. Based on the DP Review thread, not holding out much hope.

Sugru... given my complete bust at DIY in general, I'm regarding this as a last resort!

@jimmyjamjojo if your XT-10 is near to hand, could you possibly give me some dimensions for the XT-10 thumb rest?

@jimmyjamjojo if your XT-10 is near to hand, could you possibly give me some dimensions for the XT-10 thumb rest?

Unfortunately not, I sold it a few years ago and use an X-T3 now. The grip on that is "built in" rather than a separate peice.

I have noticed there are some 3d printable models out there for the x-t10 one. If i get time tomorrow i'll download one and get the dimensions from it.

@ChrisR

Here you go. Not the most accurate of measurements but within a mm for each, should at least give you an idea if they'll fit -

1.jpg

@ChrisR

Here you go. Not the most accurate of measurements but within a mm for each, should at least give you an idea if they'll fit -

View attachment 398454
Thanks Jamies, I'll check that tomorrow.

Hah, what a coincidence that I'd see this today too - https://reddit.com/r/fujix/s/SEirnyxnzz

Looks like the X-T10 one is too big. Perhaps some careful cutting could make it work...
That's a bit confusing, but different I think. Seems like he wanted to add a grip like the X10 one on his X100, used the XT-10 one and found it would cover the Q button (whatever that is!). Don't think there's a risk of that with the X10, but as you say, the XT-10 one does look on the large side. Thinking cap will have to go on once I'm more awake...

PS would it be possible/easy for those with the necessary skills to reduce that printable model, to fit the X10?

PS would it be possible/easy for those with the necessary skills to reduce that printable model, to fit the X10?

Certainly possible. If you get me the measurements you need then I can give it a go, maybe a photo too. If I can't do it there are a couple of people at work who should be able to do it.

I might be able to print it too, but we can talk about that once the model is sorted.

Right, back to the missing thumb grip for my X10. I bought a thumb grip for the XT-10 from the evil bay, and it looks like it might do. It is maybe slightly larger, and definitely more prominent, than the original. It doesn't obscure any of the controls on the back, but maybe slightly fouls the door of the battery compartment (which doesn't close anyway). I'm thinking a bit of sanding or perhaps my friend has a dremel which might help!

First, how the back and side currently look:

IMG_1746.jpeg

IMG_1747.jpeg

Then, with the XT-10 grip pressed in (not stuck yet, just using the remains of the old adhesive):

IMG_1748.jpeg

IMG_1749.jpeg

IMG_1750.jpeg

Terrible photos taken with my old iPhone SE, since I don't have another digicam, sorry!

Right, back to the missing thumb grip for my X10. I bought a thumb grip for the XT-10 from the evil bay, and it looks like it might do. It is maybe slightly larger, and definitely more prominent, than the original. It doesn't obscure any of the controls on the back, but maybe slightly fouls the door of the battery compartment (which doesn't close anyway). I'm thinking a bit of sanding or perhaps my friend has a dremel which might help!

First, how the back and side currently look:

View attachment 400614

View attachment 400615

Then, with the XT-10 grip pressed in (not stuck yet, just using the remains of the old adhesive):

View attachment 400616

View attachment 400617

View attachment 400618

Terrible photos taken with my old iPhone SE, since I don't have another digicam, sorry!

Is it plastic or rubber? It looks like you could just run a sharp blade down either edge and get a pretty good fit.

Is it plastic or rubber? It looks like you could just run a sharp blade down either edge and get a pretty good fit.
Um, rubbery plastic? Probably rubber, but couldn't be certain.

It's slightly textured, which is nice, but means if I cut the top or bottom edges (in pic 3 above), it will be a bit obvious. I'm thinking I might try to shave a millimetre or so off the back edge (pic 5 above) and also slightly angle it so it's not quite so prominent.

My DIY skills are terrible, so if it goes wrong I'll have to buy another one, but at £3.70 that's not too bad!

Um, rubbery plastic? Probably rubber, but couldn't be certain.

It's slightly textured, which is nice, but means if I cut the top or bottom edges (in pic 3 above), it will be a bit obvious. I'm thinking I might try to shave a millimetre or so off the back edge (pic 5 above) and also slightly angle it so it's not quite so prominent.

My DIY skills are terrible, so if it goes wrong I'll have to buy another one, but at £3.70 that's not too bad!
Turns out it's fairly rubbery, so "shaving" wasn't really an option. I managed to cut a millimetre off the edge that wraps around the corner, so it no longer fouls the battery door. Slightly less successful was a (probably unnecessary) re-shape of the edge near the control wheel. That has a few jaggedy corners... :(

Managed to rub off the sticky residue on the camera with my finger, good so far. Now it's described as "Replacement Camera Thumb Rear Grip Cover with Adhesive Tape Unit". The underside is covered in brown, um, paper with 3M on it somewhere. However, I'm assuming the brown paper is cover for the sticky bit, but have not managed to separate it out. Is this just sharp knife, patience and better eye-sight?

Turns out it's fairly rubbery, so "shaving" wasn't really an option. I managed to cut a millimetre off the edge that wraps around the corner, so it no longer fouls the battery door. Slightly less successful was a (probably unnecessary) re-shape of the edge near the control wheel. That has a few jaggedy corners... :(

Managed to rub off the sticky residue on the camera with my finger, good so far. Now it's described as "Replacement Camera Thumb Rear Grip Cover with Adhesive Tape Unit". The underside is covered in brown, um, paper with 3M on it somewhere. However, I'm assuming the brown paper is cover for the sticky bit, but have not managed to separate it out. Is this just sharp knife, patience and better eye-sight?
I eventually realised I was being a complete idiot, pulled off the protective layer (rather than trying to split it in half), and stuck it on! It works a treat, so if anyone else loses their X10 (or X20/X30) thumb grip, the aftermarket ones for the XT-10 will work out fine with a little trim!

IMG_1756.jpeg

IMG_1757.jpeg

I also bought a thumb rest that goes in the hot shoe, which seems like it was a waste of money, though only cheap!

Back