The Ogwen Valley - Snowdonia

Edit My Images
No
Hello folks,

I was out and about in my back garden again last night accompanied by my good friend and excellent photographer Greg Knowles.

Not my kind of conditions but you've got to work with what you've got!

Still, we enjoyed and great scramble up Y Gribin and what's not to like about an evening in the hills eh?

In this shot I grabbed some late light and Greg hard at work high above Llyn Bochlwyd looking towards the wonderful Tryfan.

Greg Knowles catching late light from Y Gribin by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

I await their arrival David, at which point I will put them straight :D

Last edited:
Hello folks,

I was out and about in my back garden again last night accompanied by my good friend and excellent photographer Greg Knowles.

Not my kind of conditions but you've got to work with what you've got!

Still, we enjoyed and great scramble up Y Gribin and what's not to like about an evening in the hills eh?

In this shot I grabbed some late light and Greg hard at work high above Llyn Bochlwyd looking towards the wonderful Tryfan.

Greg Knowles catching late light from Y Gribin by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

hater here...i think people in landscapes are a bit...distracting lets say unless i know them and maybe owe them some ££ then all is tickety....boo!
your shot doesnt need any help
what a wonderful place..
cheers
geof

Geof, It went a bit like this...

I was really underwhelmed by the conditions and I said to Greg, "There's only one thing that will save a shot in light like this and that's to get some c*** to pose for you...over you go mate"!

It is a wonderful place Geof, my home and part of a wider landscape that I know better than most through spending 100s of days in the mountains.

If a human had never been here it would not be a beautful place, for beauty is a construct of the human mind. Therefore, at times, I like to add figures into my images in order to put the scene in the context of human experience rather than an abstract idyll which couldn't exist without our concious appreciation.

Pretentious b******t? Perhaps, but true nevertheless :)

That's a lovely shot and, whether he belongs there or not, the figure does provide a focal point in the image.

I await their arrival David, at which point I will put them straight :D

That would be me then.

Lovely image but I'd prefer it minus the person.

That doesn't make me a hater, just someone with a different point of view.

Perhaps I don't think as deeply as you but whenever I'm out, my heart sinks if someone enters the frame

Last edited:
Love the whole perspective and composition, looks like Greg picked up some lovely light off of Tryfan, its a hold onto your tripod moment!
Wish that was my back garden;)

Amazing shot, with or without the person both work for me. As for that being your back garden I am envious!!

I like the person in the shot....but I can't help think "I want to see his shot" I know why you've put him in, and why you've composed the shot as you have, I understand all about when the conditions just don't suit.....but I can't help think his shot will be more of the scene, which looks stunning.

I like this shot - for me the inclusion of the figure gives and already grand vista an even more impressive sense of scale

Geof, It went a bit like this...

I was really underwhelmed by the conditions and I said to Greg, "There's only one thing that will save a shot in light like this and that's to get some c*** to pose for you...over you go mate"!

It is a wonderful place Geof, my home and part of a wider landscape that I know better than most through spending 100s of days in the mountains.

If a human had never been here it would not be a beautful place, for beauty is a construct of the human mind. Therefore, at times, I like to add figures into my images in order to put the scene in the context of human experience rather than an abstract idyll which couldn't exist without our concious appreciation.

Pretentious b******t? Perhaps, but true nevertheless :)

The rocks are forever, enjoy while you are able
And don't forget your snickers
Better?
BETTER!!

That's a beautiful photo, really captures the feelings of some great scrambles I've had over there. Lovely light on Tryfan. :)

Wonderful person in the image, ruined by including the landscape...
Seriously, a spectacular image.
Stunningly beautiful, captured in great light.

Now that takes me back to the mid/late 1960's climbing in that area....... Tryfan and Little Tryfan were where I learned the basics ~ still nice memories of those trips there (both school party one and later as part of a group......also climbed in the Llanberis Pass)

Edit ~ just zoomed in and those scree fields are so different to 'back then' ~ as poorer :(

Last edited:
a great capture. the collection is just fantastic . thanks for sharing

Just an awesome shot, processing and use of the light is bang on as always. I appreciate it is not always possible in the mountains, and I like the way the river running towards Bethesda lines up with the rock on the left of Y gribin but did you try a composition from the right slightly that separates Lake Australia from the ridge?

Figures in the landscape are starting to grown on me, they seem more timeless though if they are just a person standing upright in awe of the view. A photographer is a bit too modern in some ways, but I better be careful what I say because I suppose clothes are modern too and the next thing we will have is @minnnt doing naked selfies.

Back