The Open HGV thread

Edit My Images
No
As suggested by Lindsay: a thread for HGVs of all shapes and, indeed, sizes...

To kick it off: a really big dustcart...

Waste tipper lorry (Coastal) G9 P1013363.jpg

An ERF tractor unit at a Royal Mail depot...

Big red ERF tractor unit Voigtlander 15mm Kodacolor 7711.JPG

A fairground tractor with a high power generator to run the attractions...

Fairground generator lorry Sidmouth fair P1320018.jpg

Flatbed HGV with trailer...

Olypus E-PL5 8GB 03 P5060004.jpg

Atkinson Borderer with a Gardner 150 engine, 6 speed Eaton twin countershaft gearbox, Kirkstall rear axle.. lovely ;)
Atkinson Borderer.jpg
This was funfair generator carrier. The genny has long since gone.

Last edited:
We have an annual charity truck convoy from Redbourn via Dunstable to Leighton Buzzard every June for about the last 10 years. As it goes right pass the end of my street then it would be rather rude not to take a a look and take some snaps. The locals all turn out to watch as well. below are just a couple of the trucks, so quite a variety take part.

IMG_9635 by Doug, on Flickr

IMG_9628 by Doug, on Flickr

F88 split screen, taken at South Cerney Steam Rally 2013

Always had a soft spot for them, probably me favourite truck, I always wanted to drive one growing up.

Sadly, by the time I past me class 1 in 1987, there weren't many left in general haulage.

F88 Split Screen by Phil D, on Flickr

F88 split screen, taken at South Cerney Steam Rally 2013

Always had a soft spot for them, probably me favourite truck, I always wanted to drive one growing up.

Sadly, by the time I past me class 1 in 1987, there weren't many left in general haulage.

F88 Split Screen by Phil D, on Flickr
I worked on them Phil :) The F89 was basically the same, just left hand drive. I believe the first ones to arrive in the UK came into Scotland and were a knock down chassis. They had to 'unbox' the parts and build the tractor unit.

I worked on them Phil :) The F89 was basically the same, just left hand drive. I believe the first ones to arrive in the UK came into Scotland and were a knock down chassis. They had to 'unbox' the parts and build the tractor unit.

I had to Google the F89 Jak, don't recall ever seeing one but as you say, looks identical to the F88.

I was driving for a bout 10yrs, part-time for the last 3, before a career change took me in a different direction, I still miss it sometimes.

I only remember driving 2 Volvos, an FL10, odd feeling with such a low cab and a brand new FH12, a demonstrator and on hire, the latter was the dogs bo**ocks :LOL:

I had to Google the F89 Jak, don't recall ever seeing one but as you say, looks identical to the F88.

I was driving for a bout 10yrs, part-time for the last 3, before a career change took me in a different direction, I still miss it sometimes.

I only remember driving 2 Volvos, an FL10, odd feeling with such a low cab and a brand new FH12, a demonstrator and on hire, the latter was the dogs bo**ocks :LOL:
I was on the engineering team for a major supermarket company. I was involved in the distribution side of the business.
The F89 had the larger 12Ltr engine, and as such it needed to lay slightly on its side. That meant it couldn't be made as a right hand drive model, only left hand drive.

I got my HGV licence purely to be able to test drive or take vehicles for MOT test. But I did drive for other companies as well during my career.
I have driven abroad, mainly in DAF2800's.

Custard tarts for your wedding anniversary!!

Must be a favourite ;) and congratulations :)

Car carrier finished dropping its load...

Clyst St Mary Transport 45-150mm GX7 P1140762.jpeg

Tanker lorry on the A3052...

Tanker lorry Clyst St Mary A65 DSC00629.JPG

One of those Chinese Maxus vans. I do like the reg No :)
DPD Van.jpg

With four forklifts to choose from, this driver should have no problem unloading, once he gets the first one off! (Panasonic GX7 / 45~150mm)

Flatbed Lorry carrying four forklift trucks P1130973.jpg

Back