The "open" version of Google StreetView. OpenStreetCam

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Some of you will know Open Street Maps. The crowd sourced world map, that anyone can contribute to. And which has now surpassed Google Maps in many areas. But did you know they are now working on an equivalent to Google Street View called OpenStreetCam?

Contributors can upload dashcam or mobile footage of journeys they have taken to OpenStreetCam, which processes the footage to make it easy for people to navigate on the map and see the view of the routes. Smartphone apps are available to make creating the footage easy.

This is just a heads up to those who might like to consider using or contributing. More than 3 million people have so far contributed to Open Street Maps. Check out your local area, and make additions or corrections if needed. Google Maps is very poor or completely blank in many areas. This is where the humanitarian organisations are relying on Open Street Maps to help them at times of crisis.

osc.JPG

See: OpenStreetCam.org

Last edited:
hmm interesting... Still a lot of people needs to chip in to this project...

Yes. That's why I thought I'd spread the word here.

As I don't drive a car often, I'm unlikely to contribute much myself. Although I do contribute a lot to the maps.

Last edited:
Back