The Photographers Ephemeris

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
Pretty new to using TPE and I'm not sure if I should be putting the "Red Pin" over where I stand with my camera or over the place I want to take the photo of. Help please?

I tend to place it on the subject to see how the light will hit that, suppose a mountain peak. As a secondary consideration I'll put it on my planned shooting position to see how the light may be there.

Also worth looking at terrain views or a map, or even street views etc to make sure there are no obstructions.

Thanks for your replies. At the same time I posted the question, I also asked the same one in an email to TPE, not really expecting an answer but I did get one early this morning. I was told that it was a regular question to TPE and, only yesterday they had "put something together" to try and explain. Just a short part of the article is attached below. If anyone needs to see the whole article, please let me know and I'll pass it on.

Is the red pin the camera or the subject?

Good question. The answer? It depends...

Here's are the simple rules-of-thumb:

• If the sun or moon are going to be in the frame, then the red pin should be the camera position
  • If the sun or moon are out of the frame (i.e. illuminating your subject), then the red pin should be placed the subject position

Back