The Photography Institute....

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all. Anybody undertaken any courses with the aforementioned?

Keep getting various emails with savings/discounts etc.

Any experiences from anyone? Thanks

Hi Andrew,

I considered the P.I course but in the end opted for another called Diploma in Professional Photography with Blackford Centre.
It cost a bit more but you get a paperback copy along with loads of other useful information and tips. I am into my 4th assignment and it is proving to be very good and I have learnt a lot so far...
I think you will find a lot of pro's will disagree with what I have said and that you can teach yourself, etc... In my opinion I need some kind of structure to my learning. This starts from the very basics and gets tougher the further you progress.

Any questions I am more than happy to help if i can.

All the best.

Have you looked at the Regent Academy? I'm on my 10th assignment with them and my personal tutor has been very helpful with not only the course, but also other non-course related queries too. She also helped me to re-vamp my website - Bonus!

Structured learning.

So nothing really other than the info which is on the web is compiled into one source which you pay for? Shame you cant do an online course where the certification is worth something

So nothing really other than the info which is on the web is compiled into one source which you pay for? Shame you cant do an online course where the certification is worth something

I agree that there probably is nothing in an online course you cannot find for free online but the appeal (to me at least) with the structure is that it is would help me to learn having it presented in a logical progression, drive me to complete the learning and give me the excuse for doing so. It would go down a lot better here saying "Sorry, can't do that, gotta catch up on my coursework" rather than "Sorry, gotta surf the web for photography stuff then go take some pictures"!

The problem, as you say, is that unless there is some independent certification you have no idea of how good the course or "institute" is or if the course is really suitable. The word of mouth I have read seems to indicate that a good many of the courses are pretty bad. The ones that come with recommendations tend to have a high price tag and I just can't afford to spend that much so it looks like surfing the web it is. I do have a brochure coming from the local adult education centre for a course starting IRL nearby in January, though, but the girl sending it out couldn't tell me the cost so I'm not getting my hopes up til I find out!

Certification in photography or any other artistic field is always going to play second fiddle to ability.

These days everything is on the internet, but what courses offer you is structured progression and some people really benefit from that.

Certification in photography or any other artistic field is always going to play second fiddle to ability.

These days everything is on the internet, but what courses offer you is structured progression and some people really benefit from that.

I agree that a portfolio is more important. I have no intention of quitting my job only to struggle to make it as a photographer is the current climate is was more for a sense of self development, that being said i would like a certified qualification for my efforts. I dont require a training course to learn as i feel i know enough about photography at present i need more than just compiled information

Back