The Photography Show 2015

Are the discounts any good at this show? Looking at getting myself the Bowens 400rx studio kit.

Bowens are there in force as usual (stand, stage & pro lounge) but don't know about any deals as not in the market for their kit myself

Managed to restrict my purchases to a cheap reflector and a new bag. The Canon double-cashback offer is a seriously good deal if you're in the market for something on the list. 6D for £999 or 5D3 for £1699 (£500 off!!)

Last edited:
Any decent fuji x deals?

I missed the chance to look at what deals were on with fuji unfortunately. Hopefully someone else will have seen them.

One thing I would like to see is a list from the 3 retailers camera world, calumet and Lce of the deals they are doing for the show, a nice simple list from each and maybe added to the app for future shows.

I was quite pleased with layout being in the one hall. Food court was quite reasonable for seating and i liked it being all at the back of the hall.

Bowens are there in force as usual (stand, stage & pro lounge) but don't know about any deals as not in the market for their kit myself

Managed to restrict my purchases to a cheap reflector and a new bag. The Canon double-cashback offer is a seriously good deal if you're in the market for something on the list. 6D for £999 or 5D3 for £1699 (£500 off!!)

Thanks for the reply, I'm going tomorrow so will see if I end up bringing something back with me.

Looks like the bank account might be getting a hammering.

Well, the whole thing was better in Hall5. Even at its busiest today it wasn't bad... Busy at the obvious places but not horrible... More room to move and lots of places to eat. Only saw one person sitting on the floor and he looked shopped out. Enjoyed Mark Ellen Mark's talk and film. And because I can, will go again and watch some more things. :)

Yes, good day out even if the plastic suffered. The Bowens Pro sanctuary was a calm Oasis for those in the trade. Some good deals on most stuff plus some excellent reduced refurbished/graded Nikon stuff on one stand (Might have been Camera World or Calumet?).

Going again on Monday, but might take a ball of string to able to retrace steps to points of interest. Still thats the NEC for you.

What is the car park queue like coming in?
Wondering the best time to arrive tomorrow as I was stuck in quite a long queue last year, plus got caught in motorway road works.
(no slight on the NEC, lots of incoming and the parking staff were doing their best)

How good is the food/eating arrangements this year? Should I bring a packed lunch to sit on the floor with?

:)

I drove straight in to the car park at 10:15 today. 1st time I've never had traffic

I came on the train yesterday, arrived at the show about 10:30 but had to queue for about 10 minutes to get in.

Seems to be more food outlets this year but they were all rammed at about 1ish when I tried to get something. Plenty of free seats, but all tables were being used. One thing I did notice was the fish and chip place were charging for "crispy bits" - that's stuff you get for free here 'up north :)

I stayed at the Hilton which is a stones throw from nec. I think you can use there car park for 9 quid a day. Don't know if that's cheaper but it really is close to the venue.
Really enjoyed the show yesterday but I don't rate the nec as a venue. Food areas had lots of empty room where they could have easily put loads more tables to save people sitting on the floor or like me, just not bothering and getting food back at my hotel/elsewhere. There loss and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I stayed at the Hilton which is a stones throw from nec. I think you can use there car park for 9 quid a day. Don't know if that's cheaper

NEC parking £10, complete rip off IMO should be free on production of a show ticket.

I don't rate the nec as a venue. Food areas had lots of empty room where they could have easily put loads more tables to save people sitting on the floor .

The food areas were empty today whilst I was there 10am - 1pm but I just bought a Starbucks & pannini and took it to the tables as there was plenty to choose from.
I didn't think there were any bargains really, £34 off a £1300 lens is hardly a bargain.
Canon were doing the usual cash back on lens' but I guess you can get that online too.

As a venue the NEC has lots to learn from the public but unfortunately people just put up with the rip off prices they continue to charge.
Captive market but if I had to go somewhere else it would cost extra in travel expenses etc.....

Overall having never been to the photography show, I enjoyed seeing the products available that I hadn't seen before and bought a few items but nothing extravagant.

Would I go again, yeah, when I've learnt a bit more and have specific requirements and research to do, next year I'll look at the printers & mount products, there were plenty there but I wasn't in a position to know what I wanted/needed this year, next year I will :)

Last edited:
I don't think it can be much if a surprise for folks that parking is £10. It goes with the territory, if you're not happy to pay it, don't go! They are there for the money at the end of the day.

I was generally happy about the experience (besides starting the day off with a string of cancelled trains at Euston), most of it was about gear and if you were planning on buying some kit there's definitely some savings to be had at the show. I wasn't planning on buying anything but I caved at Ianiro and AJ's stands and grabbed a couple of bits I've needed for a while but been putting off.

I would have liked if they'd had more talks, they had spare space but most of the free ones were (probably sensibly) aimed at someone without much experience with lighting and modifiers, I managed to miss the super stage entirely. It's a pity I couldn't make it on Monday or Tuesday instead.

One warning though! Whatever you don't get a coffee from the place by the train entrance/exit, I made the mistake of grabbing one at the end of the show and they really couldn't have done a worse job if they tried.

That fish n chip place knows how to charge too! £19:30 for 2 cod and chips with a coffee and a water [emoji15]

Bought a Bowens 400rx studio kit with 2 soft boxes, just got to wait for it to be delivered and then the learning begins.....again!

Got 10% off retail prices so made a saving which was good.

Has anyone spotted any deals on the fuji xt1?

I bought an X-T1 with the XF 18-55mm lens for £999 from Camera World. I believe there is £100 cash-back too.

I couldn't resist the 27mm f2.8 for £229

Good savings when compared to the prices shown on Camera Price Buster.

Just got to get used to using it now.

Chris

I bought an X-T1 with the XF 18-55mm lens for £999 from Camera World. I believe there is £100 cash-back too.

I couldn't resist the 27mm f2.8 for £229

Good savings when compared to the prices shown on Camera Price Buster.

Just got to get used to using it now.

Chris

Thanks, bit if a saving then. Still cheaper on Panamoz

I remember a company near the adobe stand selling them. Can't remember the name though

I think I saw the folks on the SRB stand using one, whether they are selling them or were just using it for fun I don't know.

We went yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves even if Sarah kept persuading me to get my credit card out :eek:

Traffic was great (straight in without stopping), car parking was good (yes I was expecting to pay £10) and we just missed the main push to get in the hall as it opened so again good from our point of view. Can't comment on the quality of the food (we took our own butties) but the queue for Starbucks was fairly long at times and full of weirdly dressed people from Comic Con next door.

Plenty to see and buy. Another positive was that the place wasn't full of big lenses being carried around. Yes there were some but none of the hoards from dirty old man brigade we've had in previous years.

Knackered by the end of the day but came away with a few purchases for Sarah and a Lee filter tin for me. Yes a whole £4's worth :(

I don't think it can be much if a surprise for folks that parking is £10. It goes with the territory, if you're not happy to pay it, don't go! They are there for the money at the end of the day.
You can pay for parking either when you arrive or when you leave.
If you choose to pay when you leave, and if you leave at the end of the show, as I did yesterday, you'll almost certainly find that the people who take the money have gone home:)

Back