The Pleiades

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Saturday night eventually cleared up long enough to get some astrophotography in...this is one of the results. I have taken one of this DSO before but this time decided to get a bit closer with more exposures.

Details and a larger version by clicking on the image.

The Pleiades - M45 by StuartJPP, on Flickr​

That is a fantastic image. I have considered getting an astrotrac myself.
I may get around to it one day. How do you take the bias and darks?

John.

Gorgeous. I have neither the gear, patience or dark enough skies to attempt anything like this.

Never fail to be impressed by shots like that.
Got interested in astronomy a while ago, but gave up because the weather was endlessly frustrating. I think that astrophotography would be even more frustrating for me. However, I'll never get tired of looking at the pictures.

That is a fantastic image. I have considered getting an astrotrac myself.
I may get around to it one day. How do you take the bias and darks?
John.

John, the bias shots are just shot at the fastest shutter speed (1/8000) and is used to help eliminate electronic noise. The darks are shot with the lens cap on at the same ISO, shutter speed and temperature.

The AstroTrac is pretty good for what it is, I got mine 2nd hand as they are quite expensive new especially with all the extra bits needed. One thing I can say is that without the AstroTrac I would probably never have ventured into astrophotography at all. Now that I know I quite enjoy it I may be looking for a bigger mount in the future so that I can take longer exposures, but then I will lose the portability of the AstroTrac so still not sure.

Gorgeous. I have neither the gear, patience or dark enough skies to attempt anything like this.

3 things you need plenty of unfortunately. I don't have the dark skies but the in-laws do, so we visit them on clear nights :D

Never fail to be impressed by shots like that.
Got interested in astronomy a while ago, but gave up because the weather was endlessly frustrating. I think that astrophotography would be even more frustrating for me. However, I'll never get tired of looking at the pictures.

I only became interested early this year, the weather is frustrating to say the least, but like most things, eventually it all comes together and you get a break.

Back