Settings:
Canon 50D
28mm at F1.8
25S exposure
ISO100

ThePlough.jpg

Larger Image

Last edited:
Can't say much, except that it is excellent.

Dave

nice shot Mike. Perhaps next time you could try the shot at around f8 and open the shutter for that much longer, that should get you a little more clarity into the stars.

nice shot Mike. Perhaps next time you could try the shot at around f8 and open the shutter for that much longer, that should get you a little more clarity into the stars.

double the shutter speed = double the time.........i need to get a shutter release cable.

does anyone recomend one?

Mike, That's pretty good... if you double the time you will get star trails... You need to either get a tracking mount... expensive, or keep the settings as they are and push up the ISO as high as you can get away with. There's a lot of stars hiding in there... It also looks like you focused on the trees, so the stars are not exact pinpoints (it's very hard btw)... the second star along the handle, at the top of the rise, is in fact a visual double, Mizar and Alcor.. one of them appears very small by comparison, but you should be able to see it photographically, after all you can see it unaided. Do you have a larger version ?

very, very nice and inspires me to get out and do something similar.....

very nice capture,shutter releases from ebay,about 3 quid for a standard push/bulb type
25 to 35 quid for full programme one,they work really good never had any problems,plenty from UK suppliers now so no need to wait weeks from China

Thanks for the larger image Mike. At the original scale the visual double doesn't show, but it's there. The stars look focused in the larger image but are slightly trailed which is what gave the appearance of not quite being in focus. I'd suggest reducing the shutter speed down to say 20s and push the iso, see how many more stars you can get. The lp may cause some issues though on the lower part of the image.

A very nice image though.

Thanks for the larger image Mike. At the original scale the visual double doesn't show, but it's there. The stars look focused in the larger image but are slightly trailed which is what gave the appearance of not quite being in focus. I'd suggest reducing the shutter speed down to say 20s and push the iso, see how many more stars you can get. The lp may cause some issues though on the lower part of the image.

A very nice image though.

Thanks for the advice, i am thinking of getting a tracking mount for my camera so i can take pictures of nebulae and planets etc. are you into astrophotography?

Thanks for the advice, i am thinking of getting a tracking mount for my camera so i can take pictures of nebulae and planets etc. are you into astrophotography?

You're welcome. I am into Astrophotography, a very technically demanding and challenging set of disciplines. Your SLR will do nicely on large objects, such as the bigger Nebulae, nearby (a relative team ;)) galaxies and open clusters. Smaller objects either need monster scopes or smaller sensor, cooled dedicated cameras, or both. And planets need very high frame rate, small sensor cameras and very long focal lengths. Any of which will require a decent mount to drive it. That's the ideal of course, not that I've got anywhere near ideal ;)...

You're welcome. I am into Astrophotography, a very technically demanding and challenging set of disciplines. Your SLR will do nicely on large objects, such as the bigger Nebulae, nearby (a relative team ;)) galaxies and open clusters. Smaller objects either need monster scopes or smaller sensor, cooled dedicated cameras, or both. And planets need very high frame rate, small sensor cameras and very long focal lengths. Any of which will require a decent mount to drive it. That's the ideal of course, not that I've got anywhere near ideal ;)...

so im thinking of a skywatcher EQ-6 SynScan, which is about £700 - £800 which should be a perfect driver. Then save up for an 8" reflector telescope and find a way of mounting my 50D to it to get the magnification needed for further distant images.

The furthest image i have got is that of jupiter and 3 of its 4 moons. Jupiter is about 4 times the distance to the sun and the light takes 40minutes to arrive to Earth!

JupiterMoons.jpg

Last edited:
Nice mount... can put a lot of heavy kit on top of it. My HEQ5 came with a dovetail bar, so you should get one of these... then you can mount you camera and use a lens... won't even need guiding I'd think to get some decently long exposures... and 50mm is great for something like Orion.. 400mm will do nicely for the Seven Sisters or the Andromeda galaxy.

Nice image of the Jupiter system... based on the EXIF you should have all four galilean moons... although the two inner ones look to be on top of each other... From left to right

Callisto, Jupiter, Europa and Io (they look to be on top of each other), and finally Ganymede off to the right.

I never thought that the star trails would be noticeable at relatively short shutter speeds. Learn something everyday!

Back