The pulic / private space issue

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
If you regularly photograph in large towns and cities you'll probably be familiar with the public / private space issue. That is, when we think we're taking pics in a public space we get told by a security guard in a hi-vis jacket that we're on private property and photography is not allowed. Personally, I find this creeping 'corporatisation' of our public spaces a little troubling and have concerns for where it might end.

Rather than post a long-ish article here, you may like to read a piece I've just written on this issue, which links to an even more interesting article in last week's Guardian. Here it is, if you're interested.

I have read the guardian article and that did really annoyed me. But then is there anyway of preventing this?

I have shot in shopping malls before for personal use and been hassled by security. It normally ends in me showing them my pictures and explaining to them I am just a tourist trying take back some memories. I have on all occasions been left alone after that.

On the other hand the security at Canary Wharf (I think!) was adamant we don't photograph and that we leave. I said I see nothing sign posted anywhere saying I can't shoot. On further debate, I asked him to fetch me something official stating I can't shoot or call the police or I would call the police if he touched me or my equipment. He left promising to return with backup but we had gone by the time he came back if he came back.

Last edited:
On the other hand the security at Canary Wharf (I think!) was adamant we don't photograph and that we leave.

I used to photograph around there all the time and never had the security people bother me.

It probably helped that I was in a suit with a tie and sometimes carrying a briefcase.

15559191091_70cb800270_b.jpg

I have read the guardian article and that did really annoyed me. But then is there anyway of preventing this?

On the other hand the security at Canary Wharf was adamant we don't photograph and that we leave. I said I see nothing sign posted anywhere saying I can't shoot. On further debate, I asked him to fetch me something official stating I can't shoot or call the police or I would call the police if he touched me or my equipment. He left promising to return with backup but we had gone by the time he came back if he came back.

I often shoot in Canary Wharf and sometimes even run workshops there. The security guards are always quick to pounce (I got five 'challenges' last time) but once I explain what I'm doing they're okay with it; they usually just ask you not to photograph security cameras or entrances to buildings. If you look at the CW website it states that photography is allowed for personal use but if you want to shoot commercially you need a permit (which I've done a few times and it costs around £350 per day). If you have a camera which doesn't look too 'professional' and don't use a tripod, you should be fine. Having said that, much depends on which guy responds: some are fine, others are real jobsworths and bullies.

The security guards are always quick to pounce (I got five 'challenges' last time)
Were you in a suit?

They don't challenge people who look as if they ought to be there because they can't be sure they won't get hassle from the estates office. Also I generally used a pocket camera, which doesn't get the same response.

14239919313_298076c3b6_b.jpg

I often shoot in Canary Wharf and sometimes even run workshops there. The security guards are always quick to pounce (I got five 'challenges' last time) but once I explain what I'm doing they're okay with it; they usually just ask you not to photograph security cameras or entrances to buildings. If you look at the CW website it states that photography is allowed for personal use but if you want to shoot commercially you need a permit (which I've done a few times and it costs around £350 per day). If you have a camera which doesn't look too 'professional' and don't use a tripod, you should be fine. Having said that, much depends on which guy responds: some are fine, others are real jobsworths and bullies.

I was using a tripod. Only because I wanted to take pictures of my wife and myself together (which is of course for personal use). Since we can't always find someone to take photographs of us and even if we find someone they don't pay much attention to compositions normally. So we prefer to set timer on tripod and shoot. For some reason I can't understand why but tripod automatically means professional to some people. :confused:

Last edited:
I was using a tripod. Only because I wanted to take pictures of my wife and myself together (which is of course for personal use). Since we can't always find someone to take photographs of us and even if we find someone they don't pay much attention to compositions normally, we prefer to set timer on tripod and shoot. For some reason I can't understand why but tripod automatically means professional to some people. :confused:

Also, they see the tripod as a health & safety risk (people tripping over it etc). In 30 years of being a professional photographer I have never seen anyone trip over a tripod - but there you go!

Recently I was doing a pregnancy shoot for my wife in the local park which is part of national trust. I had lenses, tripod, flash, diffuser etc.
The security person came up to me and asked what I was up to. I calmly explained she is my wife, I am taking pictures for ourselves to use around our house. He congratulated us and left us in peace.
So I have had more nice experiences than bad ones but one bad one is enough to leave a bad taste in people's mouth and imagine they are all the same.

Last edited:
I tend to find if you go ok it with officials first then you get freedom to just go shoot. Had this in Birmingham New St Station. Spoke to the police who were around the station and then went and registered with the national rail office, they gave me a sticker asked me to sign in and then was plain sailing from there on in.

I've organised TP Meets at Canary Wharf and always did what they ask - contact them beforehand, explain why and how many, that its not for pro use and they issue you a permit. Flash that at the first guard you see and they all leave you alone

In shopping centres I find a guard, tell him what I want to do and they have always been fine with it

I organised a TP meet at Salford Quays and we were approach by the Police - I explained what we were doing and they simply advised that there had been thefts from togs too busy taking a photo to realise their bag had been nicked, and off he went with a smile

Whenever on private land be respectful and honest - being nice is always the best policy in my book, and if they still say no - walk away

Act like a tw*t and don't be surprised if you get treated like one

Dave

Back