The Quiraing / Torridon

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Off to Skye / Torridon in a few weeks and cannot.
Visited before but never walked the Quiraing...so need some advice :)

Not the fittest bloke in the world so my questions are roughly...
1. Is it a difficult walk?
2. Do I need walking poles?
3. Where to park and how long to get to the summit?

I've checked out a few videos and websites, some info seems to be conflicting so after some personal experiences if possible.

Also, after some good locations to shoot in the Torridon area if anyone has some recommendations....appreciate it.

You can park your car almost at the top.
Never actually walked it, but took photos from near the top, a few minutes walk from the car.

You can park your car almost at the top.
Never actually walked it, but took photos from near the top, a few minutes walk from the car.

cheers Bob....can I ask which car park.? I've read some websites stating it's a two hour round trip (the walk that is)..!

For Torridon, you really are spoilt for choice and you're not going to be falling over other toggers either. One advantage of there not being many roads is it's hard to miss out on locations. For getting a bit off the beaten track (although there isn't really one) and if you're not into long hard walks -
An easy walk from the end of the road at Red Point takes you to the beach where the old fishing station is for stunning views down Loch Torridon and over the Applecross peninsula.
Loch Clair for views of Beinn Eighe Liathach. There's an easy walk round both lochs Clair and Coulin - depends how far you want to go.
Good cafe in Shieldag (the one on Loch Torridon not the one on the Red Point road)
If you venture onto Applecross take the coast road. The mountain road is actually an easy drive made a nightmare by the NC500 brigade. The coast road is quiet and simply beautiful.
Back up there (a bit further north than you) later this year and can't wait.

Another straightforward walk, though a bit more strenuous than the above one, is this from Glen Torridon ( https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/coire-mhic-fhearchair.shtml). It does involve a stream crossing but there are large, flat stepping stones so there is no problem unless it has been very wet.

The full walk to the corrie is well worth it but the scenery is such that stopping just about anywhere will give you some superb views.

I recommend having a look at the rest of the excellent WalkHighlands site. It has walks of just about all lengths and difficulties and the descriptions and photos will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Agree about cafe in Shieldaig - https://www.nannysshieldaig.com/

Dave

I’ll be watching this with interest, just booked a cottage at Staffin near the Quiraing and can’t wait..... excited!

Last edited:
I went on 28th Dec and struggled to find a parking space.
I thought it would be quiet then.
Summer must be a nightmare.

Strangely...not...in my experience - not on weekdays anyway. I wouldn't go on a weekend - the "student camper/other young people camping" types would be out in force.

Summer definitely lures out less photographers in my experience of Skye and Glencoe - the 430am sunrises so need to be on location for 4am puts off all but the hard core dedicated or working pro's -and also most landscapers (not I - as you know) prefer winter to summer for taking pictures.

From the point of view of the light there is not much to choose. The angle is probably, maybe, a bit better between April and September but at anytime of the year the sunrise will give some interesting contrasts.

Steve has covered the sunrise times above; it depends whether you like early starts.

Weather wise it is pot luck. Excluding snow and ice you can get just about any weather at any time of the year.

I'm in Gairloch now, which is more or less due east of northern tip of Skye.

For the first few days of this month the weather was excellent. I had a clear view of north Skye and was working in the garden all day in a T shirt. Today the temperature is about 4C, there is a brisk wind, it has rained most of the day so far and Skye might as well be on a different planet.

You asked about walking poles Neil. Some folks find them almost invaluable and I can understand they will/might reduce the impact on the knees. I don't use my walking pole a lot, but it can be really useful when crossing a stream, assisting the descent of very steep terrain and testing boggy bits.

Dave

Great stuff Dave....thanks for the comment re the poles.
Are you able to offer any advice on the climb to the Old Mann of Storr?

It's not that hard - just a steady plod. Just be aware that the weather up there is capable of being completely different to down at the road. We went in summer and felt overdressed as we set off booted, wearing walking gear and carrying rucksacks. Everyone else seemed to be in shorts and sandals. At the top of the trees everything changed. The wind howled, the cloud was blowing across the ground and it was freezing. Then the tables were turned and everyone else was either scuttling back down or asking us how safe they'd be just going far enough for a glimpse of the Man. Our plan had been to go from the Old Man (had the place to ourselves, unsurprisingly) up to the top of the ridge but vis was so poor it wasn't safe to do so.
Poles are marmite. Some people swear by them and if you get on with them they can really help. I never got on with two and always used to use just one. Now I have issues with my wrists so can't use poles at all. I still carry one attached to my rucksack for exactly what Dave said.

The last time I walked up to the Old Man was during this event (http://nva.org.uk/artwork/storr/) in 2005.

The walk is, as Jan has said, not hard and there is no exposure(as no edges to worry about - at the base of the Man the ground falls away steeply but it isn't a problem) and from what I have seen the lower parts of the path have been improved, though the path was definitely OK then.

From the car park to the base of the Old Man is probably about 250/300m in a horizontal distance of around 1.5km.

Dave

What would you say is the best month to visit the Quiraing?

I was there may and dec last year. That was my first time in 5 years back to the area. In may i couldn’t get parked anywhere near it and council were extending car park. In december from 7.30-10.00am i was there on my own- was blowing a hoolie but was still surprised that no-one els3 there till later

Not a best time to visit but i dont like crowds and woul£ favour the out of season times

Hello Neil, I've never had any issues parking although I'm there before sunrise. Like you, being from the flat lands of East Anglia I gave myself 90 mins to get the plateau with a few stops on the way. Its a stunning place imo and walking around the rock structure is worth the walk on its on. You can also get above the Storr but its probably another 30 mins although I went when it was knee deep in snow. Onwards and upwards all the way fella :) Look forward to what you get. Are you going anywhere else on Skye?

Hello Neil, I've never had any issues parking although I'm there before sunrise. Like you, being from the flat lands of East Anglia I gave myself 90 mins to get the plateau with a few stops on the way. Its a stunning place imo and walking around the rock structure is worth the walk on its on. You can also get above the Storr but its probably another 30 mins although I went when it was knee deep in snow. Onwards and upwards all the way fella :) Look forward to what you get. Are you going anywhere else on Skye?

Thanks for the advice mate.
Yeah, have a few locations in mind, not done Talisker before so will give that a look in as well as returning to Elgol, Fairy Pools and Neist Point (which is literally 5 mins from the house we've booked)......also hoping to have a couple of days around Torridon which i've never visited. Really looking forward to getting some serious camera time in....

Last edited:
Back