The REAL Photography Institute online course thread...

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
Okay, so I know there's another thread here which would suggest that it's about The Photography Institute online course, but it's evolved into a discussion about a different course altogether, confusing me (and others) who have dipped into it.

So I really am doing The Photography Institute course. Just had Module 3 marked - found it tough going, but got 9/10. I hear things get less technical after Module 4... here's hoping!

So who else here is doing it?

Hi There,
I'm thinking of doing this course, would you recommend it so far?
Alexis

I have been reading up on these courses as I think it would be nice to have a diploma in photography, so do you recommend the one you are on? Truthfully.
Has anyone seen the one they advertise on the pro photo app?

It's much too early in the course for me to either endorse or rubbish it, to be honest. With work, home commitments and everything else, I'm struggling to find the time to do it.

You don't get any 'hard copy' materials with this one. You get assigned a tutor (profiles are on the site) and log-in details for the student section of the site. You download one module (PDF) at a time - you don't get access to the next one until your assignment has been submitted for the one previous. You can email the tutor at any time for advice etc.

I found Module 1 to be straightforward and interesting. Module 2 I found harder going, and Module 3 also. Part of my problem was getting decent weather for my grey card exercise outside! I am led to believe it gets much less technical from Module 4 onwards.

There's bound to be someone else here who has progressed further or completed the course - they could advise further.

I got a decent discount on the course via a link from ephotozine.

I think that's what I got it for - I was fortunate in that I managed to get reimbursed for it through a work-related training budget.

If you haven't already done so, it's worth having a look at the prospectus.

Last edited:
i'm interested in doing this when i get back in the country in feb, but i'll also have a newborn then, so we'll see lol.

do really want to do it though!

I've done this course. I found it very well put together and enjoyable and as challenging as you want to make it. The feedback was really useful from the tutors and genuine too, they do actually critique. I found that the style suited the way I work as it's not time limited and the set up of only getting the next module after you submit your work stopped me from only working on sections I thought fun at the time. It may seem a tad odd in layout at first but the reasoning behind the order of the modules really makes sense toward the end of the course.

Mike

Hi all. my first post after lurking for a few days, I like the look of this course as well as the other one but this seems to be more favourable from what I've read here and other places. So, has there been any further updates from subscribers?
I'm also curious as to exactly what I would come out with assuming I get the right grades so to speak, is it nationally recognised or not?

Steve

Last edited:
I am currently doing this course.
Though I am only on module 3, the course is very indepth and gives you a technical background to theories yuo learn.

My tutor is very good in that he marks my results within a day and gives detailed feedback on each questions/section you have to comlpete.

I would recommend it, but thats just a personal opinion of mine though.

Cheers
Dino

Has anyone done this course recently? I am choosing between this course and the one widely discussed in a different thread http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/become.htm

The only concern I have with Photography Institute that ePhotozine reviewers basically described most modules as boring..... how come? can anyone verify?

Hi GatoAzul, Photography Institute? Will you keep us updated how you get on with it? I am a bit put off by the ePhotozine reviews....so would like to get more opinions. Thanks.

Hi Isoki
I have just signed up for the course and have just submitted my first assignment.
You will get out of it what you put into it.... The first module is about choosing the right lens for the job, yes it can be conducing but once you have read the first module the you get a better understanding, Like everything in life including your first job we all start at the bottom :(
I did find it a bit confusing but now after doing more research and reading up it does make sense!!
A lot of money but then again you get what you pay for in life.
I have completed a course i the past but this is in more detail. aimed at being a professional photographer.

Back