The reflector is reflected in their eyes!

Name
paul miller
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello people,

I bet this is a common problem that is very often encountered and yet I've seen no mention of it at all in any literiture. We know that we use a reflector to put some soft fill light back into the opposite side of the face to the key light and I have been using this very effectively with the white side of a 5 way reflector. The only problem I have found, for which, by the very nature of physics I cannot see an answer, is that I can see the reflector very clearly in the actual eye itself...sometimes its even in both eyes and it appears as a white semi circle that usually cuts across the black of the pupil. I have tried many different angles at which to place the reflector but short of putting it right to the side of the face, which kind of negates the effect anyway, I cannot find a suitable position without getting reflection. It seems I need it close to the face to have much fill effect on it and even if I back it off you can still see the reflection. Is the remedy a photoshop job? How do the pros do it?

Cheers all

Paul

Thanks Mik but I don't think I made myself clear enough. I agree ONE set of catch lights are lovely and I have these at the 11 oclock position on the eye....but my problem is that I also have the reflection of the reflector in the 3, 4 or 5 o'clock position on the other side of the eye....I can actually see the reflector and the whiteness of its tone reflected in the eye cuts across the pupil in a semi circle and makes all the tones in that semi circle lighter. This often makes the pupil look incomplete and destroys its circlular shape. I suspect that this is not a good thing...it doesn't look like it and I haven't seen it in Pro photos.

Cheers

been there seen it got the T shirt
photoshopped them out, along with the spots, coldsores, yellow teeth, hairs across the face, I've even taken the catchlights out and put them where I wanted them.. control freak? me? nah :LOL:

Back