THe resolution limt of the D700?

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering.... As I understand it most "consumer" lenses don't provide enough resolution through the optics to reach the Nyquist sampling rate of a 10 mega pixel cropped sensor?

I was surprised to see that the D700 which has a full frame sensor is only 12 mega pixels. Dose that mean that the D700 will under sample high resolution glass?

Cheer Stuart

My favourite D700 lens (in optical performance) cost me £17 :)

Its so good you hit diffraction limits at around f/4 :)

Dose that mean that the D700 will under sample high resolution glass?

It simply means that a higher resolution sensor could potentially provide more detail from the lens.

I'm not sure I see the benefit of trying to work this back to sample theory :thinking:.

The reason is simple. I'm trying to convince these rich D700 owners that they don't need there 24-70 f2.8s! that way the second hand market will become flooded with them and I can buy them for a penny! :p

Second question. are the pixels larger on the CCD making it more sensitive to light?

Stuart

The reason is simple. I'm trying to convince these rich D700 owners that they don't need there 24-70 f2.8s! that way the second hand market will become flooded with them and I can buy them for a penny! :p

You still can't put a fundamentally soft lens on the D700 and get away with it.

Certainly no 24-70's used wide open will out-resolve.. so you can't put junk on (/cough Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 HSM /cough) and get away with it.

Back