THE RHUBARB TRIANGLE AND OTHER STORIES: PHOTOGRAPHS BY MARTIN PARR

Pity it doesn't open sooner - it might have tipped the scales on where I went on my birthday.

Already in my diary.

Will have to find my passport to get over the Pennines. :D

It's about time I made an effort to see one of his exhibitions. I'll have to get over there and see this.

:banana:

last photo exhibition I went to was to see some 617's at YSP yonks back

bout time Heppy's knocked sculpture on the head for a change

Haven't been to the Hepworth yet, this seems like a good reason for my first trip.

The main question is, will they be serving free crumble to the visitors?

Think I'll have to find a free day to attend this. Looks good.

Has anyone here been yet?

I've just made the necessary plans and now it's definite, I will be visiting yonder Wakefield at the beginning of next month. I can't wait. Marvellous.

I looked through The Non-Conformists again last night. I think some of that is on show too. Can't wait to get the time to cross the Pennines.

Yes, The Non-Comformists is there. :D

Key series include:The Non-Conformists, 1975-80; The Last Resort, 1983-85; The Cost of Living, 1989; Autoportrait, 1991-2012 and Common Sense, 1995-99."

I might shelve work next week!

I need to start researching craft beer tap houses in the area. Any recommendations?

Can't help there. I don't know Wakefield, and I don't drink.:(

From North Wales, Phil, but I'm staying in Wakefield for two nights.
Aah
It's years since I drank in Wakefield, but I think there's a couple near the train station. If you're on a train through Sheffield an hour in the Tap on Sheffield station would be a strong recommendation

But if you're serious about a good drink, a short train ride out of Wakefield will get you into the 'Ale trail', which is a nationally famous good quality pub crawl.

Aah
It's years since I drank in Wakefield, but I think there's a couple near the train station. If you're on a train through Sheffield an hour in the Tap on Sheffield station would be a strong recommendation

But if you're serious about a good drink, a short train ride out of Wakefield will get you into the 'Ale trail', which is a nationally famous good quality pub crawl.

Cheers Phil. I'm sure I'll find somewhere friendly with good beer. I usually have a nose for these things. :)

Will be visiting this exhibition next week. Not sure if stopping for a night in Wakefield might be on the route down from Newcastle. Should be excellent, love his work.

Has anyone been to this yet? What's the verdict. It's a bit out my way to go as plans have changed, any opinions? Presumably well worth it, large, excellently presented work but best to ask? :)

I visited last weekend, it is a really engaging show. In effect a Parr retrospective, the first since 2002 and good its not in London for a change. Presentation is interesting. The Rhubarb Triangle (a recently commissioned work) is a collection of large scale prints pinned to the walls so no frames. Although vivid in colour, it doesn't have the picture postcard colour palette of things like The Last Resort ( which is part of the show too). As is Auto Portrait, The Cost of Living, Work and Leisure and The Non Conformists. The latter exhibit is some of Parr's earliest work, very evocative black and white reportage. For me the range of the work made it worth the trek from East Anglia. I am a Parr fan and found I learned much more about him through this range of work. I talked to others at the gallery who didn't really like Parr's work, or were ambivalent to it, but none the less they enjoyed the spectacle of the event. In a nutshell, well worth a visit IMHO!

Last edited:
Thank you. Might make it this week, otherwise will have to leave it a few weeks. Sure I'll love it.

Reactions: Jao
EEEee, I dunno......I am a Parr fan but I found the "other stories" far more engaging than the rhubarb triangle selection.
Can't put my finger on it, maybe they're just too modern/digital and close to home to capture any originality for me.
Loved his 70's and 80's stuff though..:)

Well I'd go, if it were nearer to me, but it's a Parr too far, if not far too Parr.

I recognise his acute vision, but tend to always have the reservation that he's taking the p*** out of those that he photographs - unlike certain other photographers of note, whose work seems to be more compassionate. I haven't met Martin, so this may be unkind, but it's how I read his work.

I recognise his acute vision, but tend to always have the reservation that he's taking the p*** out of those that he photographs...
I think that is a style he's become associated with, but the early Non-Conformist work is more yer traditional B+W documentary as per Tony Ray-Jones. I also find the more recent Black Country Stories less Parresque and more celebratory. Maybe he's mellowing with age? (I doubt it!)

I was going to visit the show this week, but my back's gone again and I can't face the drive.:(

A non-photographer friend went and really enjoyed it.

The book of the event was selling there at £20 which is well priced not sure what the market price is but the Photography show had copies of it reduced to £24

While my friend was visiting, Martin Parr was on site and would take peoples photographs for.... yes wait for it..... £500 per photo or thats what she understood the cost to be.

Saw an interview with him in a recent mag and he says he will even shoot weddings as he likes them, but most people cannot afford to have him and that he does a lot of advertising photography, but people do not realise how much of that he does as adverts carry no photographer credits.

If you get the chance to see him talk, he comes over as a nice chap and is an entertaining speaker. I only wish he had more exhibits in the UK and indeed, more talks.

Last edited:
If you like listening to MP and watching him in action this DVD is worth a watch - http://www.beyondwords.co.uk/p/1239/hot-spots-martin-parr-in-the-american-south

That's a great DVD and pretty cheap. Saw it a couple of years back.

I mostly enjoy his work. He has that quirky and documentary eye which is reflected in much of his work. I do find some of his stuff doesn't hit the spot though. If you or I did it nobody would give it a second look which to be honest I could say for many photographers. His work is often best viewed as a collection but with some excellent standalone shots. £500 for him to take a shot... I'd expect that probably comes with a signed print although I'm not sure how creative and 'signature' his images could be in that environment. Great stuff though, I'll be making the trip to view in the next month or so.

I spent all afternoon yesterday at the Hepworth and went back this morning. I love it. There's something about seeing the pictures all big and well presented that I can't explain. Parr's film on Englishness was playing on loop and I watched it through twice, lolling frequently. I also really enjoyed the other exhibitions - the Hepworth really is a fantastic place.

An excellent couple of days rounded off with a stroll around the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Those huge Kaws statues are something else! Fantastic.

I went yesterday afternoon, too. I would have watched the film, but some bloke was hogging the sofa ;-)

I confess, apart from a shot or two, I didn't really 'get' the rhubarb stuff. I really enjoyed his other collections though, and would go back again if I lived nearer.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up.

Last edited:
I went yesterday afternoon, too. I would have watched the film, but some bloke was hogging the sofa ;-)

I confess, apart from a shot or two, I didn't really 'get' the rhubarb stuff. I really enjoyed his other collections though, and would go back again if I lived nearer.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up.

I look at The Rhubarb Triangle as, on the whole, a more conventional "straight" documentary. Unlike many of his other works, the humour normally associated with Parr's work isn't present in most of The Rhubarb Triangle (or at least that's how I see it). I say most because a few of the pictures did make me smile, but not in the same way as, say The Last Resort or The Cost Of Living (which are also exhibited at the Hepworth alongside The Rhubarb Triangle)..

Sorry for hogging the sofa but in my defense I only watched it once each day. Honest.

Here is the film but spoiler alert: don't watch it if you plan on going to the Hepworth. It makes much more sense in the context of his other work.

Last edited:
I still haven't found time to get over to Wakefield. :( What's the parking like?

Back