The right way?

Ambermile

A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
Focus, compose, refocus, check light meter, remove screen, wind film on in film back, put film back in dark pocket, check light meter, readjust aperture/shutter - noticing shutter still in T in the process, slip film back onto camera body, cock shutter, check big dog is not having a crap in the fov, click shutter - realise dark slide is still in place, cock shutter, check light meter, readjust aperture/shutter, check dog not chasing pheasant through fov, remove dark slide, release shutter, replace dark slide, remove film back and put in dark pocket, replace screen section, move on to next shot.

Now then, is it me or does that seem just a tinsy bit long-winded?

Last edited:
Me too - it's the quarter plate but I have a Rollei 6x9 film back for testing. Once I know it works I may put some film in it proper ... I have some Ilford plate film here ready :D

Well, *hooooge* light leak where the film number window is... it may well be that I should be using 220 film perhaps? Also way over-exposed too - which is a bummer since that, along with the light leak, means the pics will not have the impact I'd hoped as several invloved large puddles and reflections in the foreground (where the leak was!)

Well, I'm stumped. The film back is a Rollex Patent beastie - like this - and this one shows nothing else over the red window either. Am I missing something here? I know usually there's a little door-thing to flip open but nothing on this?

Focus, check big dog is not having a crap in the fov, compose, check big dog is not having a crap in the fov, refocus, check big dog is not having a crap in the fov, check light meter, check big dog is not having a crap in the fov, remove screen, check big dog is not having a crap in the fov, wind film on in film back, check big dog is not having a crap in the fov, put film back in dark pocket, check big dog is not having a crap in the fov, check light meter, check big dog is not having a crap in the fov, readjust aperture/shutter - noticing shutter still in T in the process, check big dog is not having a crap in the fov, slip film back onto camera body, check big dog is not having a crap in the fov, cock shutter, check big dog is not having a crap in the fov

Aah, the joy of film :LOL:

rotf.gif

Well, I'm stumped. The film back is a Rollex Patent beastie - like this - and this one shows nothing else over the red window either. Am I missing something here? I know usually there's a little door-thing to flip open but nothing on this?

possibly so old that it was made when black and white film was orthochromatic, so red light through the window would not fog the film, 220 would be worse, no backing paper.:shrug:

Ah - so I'm stuffed then? Unless there's a replacement window maybe?

I thought 220 doesn't have back paper so the whole film will be fogged..

I would work out how many turns on the dial to get to the next image and then just cover the window with tape. Or shoot some sheets!!!

You could tape over the window (put silverfoil under the tape to block out all the light).
The problem then is you cant tell when you have wound on to the next frame, but you could put a spare film in and count how many turns of the lever it takes to wind on to the next frame, good luck!

Liam types faster than me!

Last edited:
I don't need to work it out - I can count the big blobs along the big white streak on the strip :LOL:

bleurgh.jpg

You know when you allow a stop or so 'cos it's an old camera? Well, when you do that and think you got ISO50 when you really got ISO400... that's when you're really up pooh creek :bang:

Incidentally, I just dropped off a roll of Ektacolor at the togshop for developing - I used the Yashica D... will that be the same and have window-stripes??

*edit - ok, red window silverfoiled and mattblacked inside too. Also realised the dark slide is only supposed to go in one way... which explains a few of the scratches :D I am *not* looking forward to doing plates on this thing... I only have 1 holder :eek:

Last edited:
Something's not right, are you sure you are loading the film correctly because the backing paper ought to protect the film from such a severe leak unless the film is in backwards or the take up spool spools with the backing paper on the wrong side.
I would have thought the worst you could expect from a dodgy counter window would be fogging.

347fy1d.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, so when I inadvertently put the film in wrong (not that I knew it at the time) and could see no numbers when winding - then had to get the changing bag out, open the back up, remove the film, rewind it back to the original spool and try again... that may have been something to do with it? Ah. I had actually forgotten this happened (mind a blank - bad memory so blot it out :LOL:)

Might not be so bad after all then, cheers John. Downside though is that was my last bw 120, only got the Ektacolor left now :(

Back