The rising/setting sun...

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
For some reason I've realised that any time I'm out photographing landscapes/seascapes I'm getting the sun in the frame. I have no idea why, as I don't think it works half the time... here's some of the recent results anyway o_O

*back on the forum for the first time in ages seeking inspiration* :LOL:

Groomsport by Brian McEwan, on Flickr

Brown's Bay v2 by Brian McEwan, on Flickr

Brown's Bay by Brian McEwan, on Flickr

Thanks for looking! :)

I quite like shooting landscapes with the sun in the frame - sometimes I set out to do just that, others it just happens ... the balance of the light is probably best in #2 both 2 & 3 look like the horizon is squint even though it isn't - just a bizarre optical illusion, that or I need a trip to Specsavers! Love the colour palette in #2 :)

Nice set, whilst they're all nice scenes I think #3 is the best image as 1 and 2 have a slightly underexposed foreground. Some vignetting correction would probably help too and I'd probably clone the ships out in #3 as well to make it even better than it is.

Essentially nice pics - it's very often good to get the sun in the frame if your lens can cope without excessive flare. For my taste I'd use less vignette, maybe lift shadows a touch and dial back the saturation a little, but that's me.

I think #1 is an excellent modern-style landscape. The yellow field catches the eye but then the path, the fence and the bush on the right hand side adds a lovely balance. Dark and a little bit moody. Really good.

For me, the suns just don't work in 2 and 3. I think you kind of have to let them blow out as they cannot be recovered well enough to be realistic, but that is probably just my taste. The foreground in #3 is great though.

Back