The Rock in the Fog - C&C needed

Name
Yvonne
Edit My Images
No
I'm not used to taking landscape photos. Would love some opinions on whether these are any good or should be binned :) I like the fog in them because thats the way I saw it but not sure whether it just makes them look soft

Thanks

5161122836_815dd08db4.jpg

5161122744_6fcbc6ba82.jpg

5161122680_e6f78d55c8.jpg

Weird lighting, sunshine and fog together? Unusual and different. I prefer #1, there is more separation between the lumps of rock and there is nice effects on the grass with the shadows on the path. However, the fog doesn't feature greatly in the shot, and I wondered if you had other shots more to your left? The bright area on the left (from where the sun is shining behind the fog) draws the eye out of the picture somewhat. Its balanced a bit in #3, but I think you should tone down the bright rocks on the right and concentrate on the 3 in the middle. Just my tuppence ...

Thanks Robin and Carol,

The weather was quite amazing, this is high up so the sun was shining above the fog. I think I do have a couple of photos further left but the sun is very strong. I will try and tone down the rock in 3 and see if that improves it.

Nice composition, still deciding whether I prefer 1 or 2 most. Think the mixture of elements makes it an unusual shot and you should take more landscapes.

Think I prefer the second one. I like the fact that the ruins are a bit closer and you can see the fog in the background more clearly.

Then again, looking at it once more, the path leads the eye quite nicely in the first shot...

no1 offers the rock with no right hand competition as to what rock it is
the open-ness gives the feel of the prescence of space
the fog is brilliant
for me a good shot and remindful of so many stories i have read about moors and rocks
cheers
geof

Thanks everyone for the comments.

mrcrow The Rock in the title might be a bit misleading for anyone not familiar with it. It is actually an old castle that was blown up a long time ago. What is left is loads of walls like this and random rocks scattered. The rock is what its referred to locally so the title is more referring to the location then the actual rocks in the photo if that makes sense.

I like the fog myself but wondered would it be mistaken for a badly processed photo:shrug:

Thanks everyone for the comments.

mrcrow The Rock in the title might be a bit misleading for anyone not familiar with it. It is actually an old castle that was blown up a long time ago. What is left is loads of walls like this and random rocks scattered. The rock is what its referred to locally so the title is more referring to the location then the actual rocks in the photo if that makes sense.

I like the fog myself but wondered would it be mistaken for a badly processed photo:shrug:

i saw that straight away...an allegorical title...for the ruined structure
that is why the shot with the real rock on the right was not in my choice a good candidate

care to say just exactly this structure is..i am keen on local and national history

I can't see the first one for some reason :thinking: no idea why... but of the two I can see, I prefer no 2... in a bit closer. I think the fog adds a little something to it. Nice one.

I can't see the first one for some reason :thinking: no idea why... but of the two I can see, I prefer no 2... in a bit closer. I think the fog adds a little something to it. Nice one.

:)

composition wise I'd choose the 1st shot, all 3 however are showing signs of over sharpening Halo's , most evident on the rocks themselves.

Its actually in Ireland and is called the The Rock of Dunamaise
http://www.megalithicireland.com/Dunamase.html

scooch I think the over sharpening was when I tried to sharpen for web, I never know how much is the right amount

well i missed it on my recent tour of ireland
probably was about 5 miles from it as i travelled from dublin to tralee...
next time!!

thanks for the info
as for sharpening...i do it all the time..but sometimes its not too necessary...i use unsharp mask...tenderly..although some people think my stuff is oversharpened...from around 25-75%...if i have a really big shot and it is a 'hard edged' subject i might hazard 100%...at my usual settings for radius and threshold... i then blow the image up to mega zoom and do an undo and do to see if artifacts are appearing in the sharpened version
as for the web
if you down size for the web you will need to resharpen...so dont sharpen till you have downsized..
but
if you use pix.ie you can upload the full image size then do a link for the 800 model for forum use...then we click the image and see your full image in all its glory...
cheers
geof

Yes about 5 miles off motorway on way to Dublin about 1/2 way.

Thanks for info on sharpening will try this for next post.

Back