Cheers Barry.
Red_Arrow_s_copy.jpg

IMG_8778-1.jpg

Airshow2.jpg

Airshow3.jpg

Airshow5.jpg

airshow4.jpg

Hi JB
Im using a Canon 350D with a Sigma 80-400OS APO DG......but its not the best lens to use for 'Aviation' the Auto Focus is a tad slow compared with other good zooms.....I have adapted my technique to suite it.......you have to 'pick' your shots with it rather than shoot a whole burst at once.......but the sharpness and clarity is impressive.......being an f5.6 lens you have to have some light to work with to get the best out of it........Cheers Barry

lovely set of pictures
beautifully sharp
perfectly exposed
well done, sir!

Thanks Guy's.......Yes the cross over shots do have an element of luck in them......fortunately the Reds do cross over a few times during there display.....so its gives you the opportunity to get a good cross over shot.....I have plenty that only have one jet in the frame and a trail of smoke behind!......Cheers Barry

Good stuff Bazza lets hope we get to see some Red action through CAD this year now that would be something there are a few shots around but I don't think I have seen a really outstanding shot of one through there yet certainly nothing of this quality.

Cheers
Bill

The times I've spent stood beneath the RAF Scampton flight path watching these do their practice routines - I have never managed to come away with any picture as good as these are. 10/10 these are.

Hi JB
Im using a Canon 350D with a Sigma 80-400OS APO DG......but its not the best lens to use for 'Aviation' the Auto Focus is a tad slow compared with other good zooms.....I have adapted my technique to suite it.......you have to 'pick' your shots with it rather than shoot a whole burst at once.......but the sharpness and clarity is impressive.......being an f5.6 lens you have to have some light to work with to get the best out of it........Cheers Barry

Thanks Barry, they really are nice, i had a go at some Spitfires at Duxford (last night of the proms), when i was a beginner and the light was terrible as it was in the evening, didn't manage to get a single decent one, will have to dig them out, i now know i needed a faster shutter and higher ISO, but i guess you have to start somewhere..

JB

Wow Brilliant set of shots 1,2 & 6 are my favourites

Very nice indeed!

Thanks Barry, they really are nice, i had a go at some Spitfires at Duxford (last night of the proms), when i was a beginner and the light was terrible as it was in the evening, didn't manage to get a single decent one, will have to dig them out, i now know i needed a faster shutter and higher ISO, but i guess you have to start somewhere..

JB

I know what you mean.....lighting conditions make such a huge difference with aviation photography......with the fast jets you need a good workable shutter speed.....for fast jets anything between 500th sec - 1000th sec but with prop planes like the spitfire i would shoot at 250th - 320th to retain some prop blur in the shots.......freeze the prop and it dosen't seem to look right......kind of frozen.Of course you need a well practiced 'panning' technique aswell......thanks from commenting everyone......hopefully some more good shots of the 'Reds' in 2008...Cheers Barry

Bill: Yes it would be nice to get some shots of the Red Arrows at Low Level in Wales...when there down at Valley they seem to like having a blast around the loop......smoke on aswell!.....Cheers Barry

Thanks Phil (y)

Thanks Tim.....Its hard to nail down a technique for the cross over shots.....I just watch the jet on the right (Its usually the one that passes infont,most times) as I see both jets closing I get my focus point on the jet and take 2 quickshots.
I have a couple of good ones but lots I have missed....I suppose that makes those Images more special and enjoyable to get.
The light conditions make such a huge difference with 'aviation' shooting...hope to get a few more good cross overs this year and pray for some good shooting conditions.......thanks for checking them out.....Cheers Barry

Back