Tutorial The Rule Of Thirds.

Learnt something new with that, I thought the ROT corresponded to the boxes, not the lines. Shal be giving it a try in future photo's (y)

Last edited:
Nice tutorial CT always good to refresh the diminishing gray matter...

Its been printed and taken its place in the Tips and tricks folder on my workstation.

Shutterman

Thank you for the tutorial CT. I will certainly put it in to practice ASAP. I have only just joined this site and I am excited to learn more about photography...

Thank you very much for your work in posting this. I shall look at pictures very differently from now on.

Thanks for the advice :) It was something I never really thought about in detail before but it all makes sense.

Useful guide this. Why don't the manufacturers have a setting for a a 'Rule of Thirds Grid' for the viewfinder? I've never seen one that does, do any?

Useful guide this. Why don't the manufacturers have a setting for a a 'Rule of Thirds Grid' for the viewfinder? I've never seen one that does, do any?

My little Canon Ixus has them.

Anthony.

I learned the Rule Of Thirds at art college a gazillion years ago, but it's no more a hard and fast rule to be slavishly followed in painting than it is in photography. ;)

The Canon G9 has the option.

It's NOT a Rule!
It's a very simplistic suggestion.

It called the rule of thirds now, which doesn't mean it has to be obeyed. It is a principle upon which one of the most popular composition tools is used. Check the various definitions of the word. There is more than one meaning. Sometimes things have names that may be slightly miss leading as with runner beans. They don't run at all!

Thirds are Useful for beginners getting into composition.

But they must also learn that it is not the only way to compose, nor is it a rule.

You can also add energy and tension by just avoiding the intersection of thirds.
The intersections have a strong "pull" and tension is created by near misses.

Other shapes also create strong compositions...
Leading lines
S curves
Triangles
and virtually any linked shape.
Groups of things are also useful ... a group of 3 is easier on the eye than a group of four
However four objects grouped as a group of 3 and a 1 work fine. (even numbers are the problem)

The problem with thirds is that it is used too often, and can become repetitive if it is the only aid to composition you know.

Many thanks for posting... as a new comer to photography this is a useful tool to remember!

Pete

Great thread, good explanation of the rule of thirds and the examples really help

Thank you for taking the trouble to post this.

Alby (Ajphotog) recently posted about the great people and ethos on this forum..........this is yet another example of this(y)

That is very useful, and easy to understand.

Thanks!

Thanks for this. I learn something new every day. On to Tutorial two now.

For a person who's completely new to photography (ie me) I find things like this so helpful so thank you for this tutorial. I've only just found this forum but there's so much useful information here

Is there any tips on actually how to use the grid when taking the photo, i.e imagining the lines through the viewfinder?

How can you determine where the line is in relation to your subject? Is it pure guess work?

Matt

Is there any tips on actually how to use the grid when taking the photo, i.e imagining the lines through the viewfinder?

How can you determine where the line is in relation to your subject? Is it pure guess work?

Matt

In practice Matt, that's exactly what you do - imagine those grid lines on your focusing screen - it shouldn't be very difficult and you soon get used to it.

Some cameras have the facility to enable ROT grid lines on the preview screen - the Canon G9 does, and the 50D does, although only in Live View.

If you really wanted to, you could easily draw some lines on a clear plastic screen protector and at least be able to check your composition after the shot.

Hmm i like the screen protector idea. As i was reading it i thought you was going to say viewfinder lol

Thank you.

Very informative article! (y)

I've been taking much more landscape photography recently, so am giving this a go....just bought a replacement 'focus screen' for my camera, which has the 'thirds' marked on it! Nice & clear too!

Thanks for this guide, very clear to understand.

Back