Tutorial The Rule Of Thirds.

Great description of ROT any rule for using thirds in the past related to retaining walls:)

Great tips, well put.(y) Thanks for taking the time to write the article. I shall be put them into practice.

Thanks for this, I had previously misunderstood this rule as using the boxes instead of the lines and you have explained it much better! Ta

James

spot on there mate, think i tend to do this naturally but reading that has simply made me more aware of it :D

well done!

brilliant - thanks - look forward to thinking of this not only when taking shots but also when at the art galleries - cheers again

dc

Thanks that makes more sense with the examples.

Are there any examples of when breaking the rules works?

Are there any examples of when breaking the rules works?

There are plenty of images posted on TP every day which don't conform to the ROT - probably more than those that do, and many of them will work perfectly well. The whole idea of the ROT is that it's a formula for composition which you can consider applying to your images, but it's not a hard and fast rule - just one way of composing. It's taught in art schools and colleges as an introduction to getting people to start thinking about composition.

It will work well in some situations - less well in others, and as I said at the outset - it isn't carved in stone, but as a tool for starting to think about composition in your images as a newbie photographer - you wont go far wrong if you keep it in mind as a tool at your disposal. The choice whether to use it or not is always yours.

thanks for this. My point and shoot displays the lines, and thought i understood it... well, i didnt, and am a little clearer now..

Thanks for this great tutorial.

A well written article about the Golden Section in action. Incedently had just given a quick precis of it to my youth group the other day.
If you want to know why it works then google golden section, and google image golden section. It's because it is the most aesthetic 'rhythm' for the eye as it appears everywhere in nature (and if you watch closely, all those home make-over programmes too!!).

(y)

Helpful...cheers.

Also if you use Flickr and Picnik to edit pics, the crop tool has the RoT overlaid which is quite handy.

JOD.

This is not only a great tutorial to learn from for my own composition, but it's also really interesting to see this in so much other art (not just photography). It's something I'd not consciously noticed before, but is apparent everywhere!

Thanks for taking the time to post (all those years ago!!)

a great guide, saved on the bookmarks now, thanks for posting it

*edit*
Petetheprimate: that's a really cool take too, it seems to work well, i'll now have to imagine spirals over everything i photograph :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Great guide, especially for a newbie like me!

Pete, wow, that is some guide. I think I need a bit more time to study that. The fact the spirals look so great on the pictures says a lot about the composition.

I've seen this mentioned a lot, I never understood the meaning. Perfect explanation, I need to go home and start playing with my camera. :)

Great guide thank you. It's very odd that I've seen this rule mentioned in other forums but not in the usually recommended books (Digital Photography Book, Photographer's Eye, Understanding Exposure). Haven't finished either yet though so I could be wrong.

Back