The Secret To Tripod Stability

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I didn't think it was a secret, but I've seen a lot of videos/articles (reviews/how-to/etc) and a lot of discussions as to "what tripod for stability" and I never see this mentioned. So I thought I would share.

View: https://youtu.be/FP6ni1Z1kzg

BTW, the same applies to the tripod's center column if it has one. But they usually only have one "non-adjustable" point of contact which is why they are always less stable than a tripod without a center column.

Always did that with the tripod when using a scope for birding,prior to taking up photography.

That's interesting , it does make sense as the tubes are either side of the fixing point compared to only on one side. A useful bit of info, it's a shame my tripod would be around 4ft tall if I did this.

Not that I use my tripod that often, but that was 1 of the reasons for buying one taller than I actually need.

That's interesting , it does make sense as the tubes are either side of the fixing point compared to only on one side. A useful bit of info, it's a shame my tripod would be around 4ft tall if I did this.
TBH, I don't think it matters much if you're using a gimbal unlocked or something similarly less critical of "stability." But I do think many would be better off buying a taller version of a lighter duty tripod and using this technique, as opposed to paying top dollar for a massive rating shorter tripod (i.e. a 5 series Gitzo rated for 100lbs... who needs 100lbs?).

Good point, well made Steven (y)

Very interesting, cheers! Makes perfect sense but wouldn't necessarily have occurred to me

Back