The Shard Lightshow

Very well captured shots there of an iconic building on the capitals skyline. Am sure there will be many more of this building, love the colors of the lasers, very well done.

Last edited:
Yes some nice captures there. The building looks a lot more impressive lit up.

Thanks.

I've been waiting for three years for it (accumulated about 5,000 photographs of its construction on the way). :) Spent most of yesterday deliberating where I was going to station myself for the evening.

Love that first one, got to be some money to be made from that (y)

David

Again great shots, a big pat on the back for yourself. (y)

Really like the 2nd one !

Great stuff, really like the first two (I don't think B+W does it justice). #2 has to be the pick of the set though!

These are great. :)

Had a look on your Flickr page - very nice images. I haven't had much opportunity to take any night photos but it is on my list so hopefully soon although I doubt I will get anywhere near these. Any tips on settings etc would be great appreciated :)

Last edited:
Beautiful shots of this nice looking building.
#1 and 2 are the best of the bunch.

Great stuff, really like the first two (I don't think B+W does it justice). #2 has to be the pick of the set though!

I fancied something a little different, as the bridge and the people down on the beach are more the subject than the Shard, which is providing an interesting detail in the background with this composition. Without the green beams in a monochrome treatment, it's not shouting for your immediate attention and is more of a surprise when your eye discovers it. One for the long game.

These are great. :)

Had a look on your Flickr page - very nice images. I haven't had much opportunity to take any night photos but it is on my list so hopefully soon although I doubt I will get anywhere near these. Any tips on settings etc would be great appreciated :)

Ta. I tend to wing it with Aperture priority, usually ISO 100 around f/8 unless I've a particular reason to go with something else, which is rare. In a city at night that'll usually result in something like a 15-20 second exposure.

I'll often give it -1/3 to -1 stop of exposure compensation to avoid blowing the highlights in illuminated areas. The histogram can be a bit misleading and make it look underexposed, but it's normally OK. I like some darkness in a night shot anyhow.

Shoot RAW so you can pick a good white balance point in PP.

Here's a triptych from last night - after the lasers had stopped

Shard RGB by cybertect, on Flickr

Lovely set, so far the best I have seen on the inauguration event. And thanks for sharing the tips.

I've been waiting for three years for it (accumulated about 5,000 photographs of its construction on the way). :) Spent most of yesterday deliberating where I was going to station myself for the evening.

You seriously need to get out more Rob!! :LOL:

Tbh those easily equal Getty's output from the event

Thanks Musicman. I have made a note, those settings will no doubt save me a lot of trial and error! I agree with the other poster, your photographs here are far better than any others I have seen published. :)

amazing pictures, I saw some coverage on the BBC and it looked rubbish, but your pics tell a different story!

I don't know why, but it's no.3 for me, absolute cracker.

Didnt appreciate how good & clean these images are until you see them on the Flickr account

Tbh those easily equal Getty's output from the event

Thanks.

You seriously need to get out more Rob!! :LOL:

:LOL: Well, the effort's paying off.

I've got to know Renzo Piano's office quite well over the course of the project. My pics actually got a mention by Renzo in an interview to a French newspaper last month (I've been letting them use them for his morning progress briefings) and they're referring people to me for publication - as a consequence I have photos in a number of international architectural magazines, several this month, and they pay quite well.

I've been told there's two official books in the works and my archive is likely to be called upon for them. Must admit I've been a bit wary of submitting to stock libraries like Alamy and Getty while I'm getting stuff in direct.

Last edited:
who's been up there yet? any good?

Great images. The first I especially like.

downs523 said:
who's been up there yet? any good?

I got a sneak preview of the public galleries in November while taking some pics for one of the books I mentioned earlier. The views are pretty spectacular.

Last edited:
Back