The Shard - Tripods??

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm up in the city for a week with Work soon, and I've booked myself into the Viewing gallery at the shard.

has anyone here got any experience with taking tripods up? I know they're officially banned but everyone I've spoken to who has been up there has always said there were people up there with Tripods...

I've got a Gorilapod as a last resort, but hoping to take the manfrotto up....

I'm going up in a couple of weeks. If you go on their site it tells you.

Bottom line (officially), is no tripods or monopods unless for commercial purposes for which you need permission in advance and at a cost.

I would say don't take one as you wont be able to get use for the amount of people and you wouldn't be able to avoid reflections either.
You nay get away with using it but I suspect it would be pointless.

Your main issues will be getting up to the glass to shoot the angle you want and being able to avoid reflections from the glass.

You cannot shoot without glass in front of you.

You can get decent shots with care

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
I went up the shard last year and was told I could not take my tripod up with me, had to leave it at the bottom and they gave me a ticket to claim it back.
As Alfbranch says, reflections are a pain and the glass is tinted not clear.

Cheers, going to use a black jumper round the lens to cut out the reflections and a polarizing filter... had some practice doing it in one of our offices in the city...

Manfrotto Magic Arm possibly? but is there anything to clamp it on?

I went up the Shard on Saturday on one of their special Photography Mornings during which they allow use of tripods, although I didn't actually take a tripod.
There are two viewing levels, 69, which is enclosed and 72, which is open above, although on both you have to shoot through glass.
Here is view of level 72, and as you can see the glass is NOT tinted, just normal clear glass.
Sorry I don't have anyone in the shot for scale, but the lowest pane of glass (the one you shoot through) is about 2.5m tall.
View attachment 8766
Taking a tripod is the least of your problems, and if it's during daylight you don't need one.
The worst thing you have to contend with is reflections in the glass.
The white painted girders and silver handrail and window trim do nothing to help either.
A few people who had obviously been before were struggling with sheets of black cloth but I have no idea how successful they were, and in any case, I doubt you would be allowed to use them during normal viewing.
It is possible to get reasonably reflection free shots but it's not easy.
Choose your angle carefully and get right up close to the glass (make sure you wear dark clothing too).
A polarising filter made the reflections WORSE rather than better.
The fact that we were there early in the morning and the sun was low and bright didn't help.
Here's a typical shot through the glass on level 72 (including reflections) and another showing you what the reflections look like standing back from the glass.

View attachment 8770

View attachment 8772

These shots are all from level 72 and I think the glass is just a single layer.
If anything, I thought the reflections were less on level 69, although there the glass is double glazed (because it's indoors).

Last edited:
Manfrotto clamp with small head could be useful? You will need release anyway to make any use of the shoot. Personally I would save the money and buy a nice dinner instead :)

I'm on expenses whilst i'm up there :)

Not bothered about release, all for personal amusement!

There is a Flickr group HERE for views from the shard.

A few people who had obviously been before were struggling with sheets of black cloth but I have no idea how successful they were, and in any case, I doubt you would be allowed to use them during normal viewing.

This is probably the best option I had more success with compact than my DSLR as I was able to cup my hand round the lens and avoid reflections that way.

I managed to up there at sunset/dusk the sunset was not spectacular but things turned out well.

This was with my DSLR though

Last edited:
surely, reflections can be avoided buy pressing the lens hood tight to the glass or am I missing something?

Les :ty:

surely, reflections can be avoided buy pressing the lens hood tight to the glass or am I missing something?

That's only true if you are square on, i.e. at 90 degrees to the glass, which only applies if you are taking distant views.
Because you are normally always shooting downwards from the Shard (and usually with a fairly wide angle lens) you cannot put the lens hood tight against the glass, and so there is always a corner where reflections can creep in.
The fact that people were allowed to use tripods at this event was no help, since there was no way you could get close to the glass when using one.
It was so misty on Saturday morning the most detailed shots were limited to subjects less than about 3-4 km from the tower, although Canada Tower and the other tall buildings at Canary Wharf looked very nice looming out of the distant mist.

Les :ty:

A petal lens hood isn't much help really and as Brian say it wont help shooting at angles.

As it gets dark the reflections get more difficult to deal with too.

HERE is a simple low cost solution but you can something similiar I cant find at the moment.

I took a GorillaPod up with me which worked as well as anything. As has already been mentioned, the glass is double or triple glazed and so using a rubber hood/shielding the lens is mostly useless as you still get reflections. The higher level is better as there aren't as many panes of glass.

So, went up on Tuesday night, really enjoyed it and well worth the £25 to get up there... ended up staying up there for almost 3 hours! Fave bit was taking a number two on the toilet.... each cubicle is side on to a floor to ceiling clear window.... :)

Anyway, the biggest issue I came across was the amount of dirt and dust on the windows. I'm not sure if its a result of the recent Sahara Dust but there were spots all over the windows, especially on the south and west facing elevations.

Here's a small smattering of pictures...

Really nice shots there. What aperture and shutter speed. I'm in Dubrovnik right now but up there on Monday

Here is view of level 72, and as you can see the glass is NOT tinted, just normal clear glass.

More for entertainment than anything else, and as someone who had the chance to talk to the architects first hand on many occasions during the construction of the building - it's not 'normal' clear glass.

Renzo Piano's office went to considerable lengths when briefing the glazing suppliers, Scheldebouw, to stress that they wanted the clearest, most colour-neutral glass possible. They settled on Pilkington Optiwhite , which has a low iron content and doesn't have the slight green tint usually associated with 'clear' glass.

Really nice shots there. What aperture and shutter speed. I'm in Dubrovnik right now but up there on Monday

Round about f11 ish.... shutter speed dependant on what it was, so sunsets fast enough to get rid of "most" of the blown highlights, for the darker stuff some were around 30 seconds, some less.

I used a lens skirt to get rid of the reflections (either make one or buy one, just use black material and attach some suckers to it) and used the slr gorrilapod to keep it steady.

I'd avoid level 69 and go straight for 72. single plate glass on 72

I booked in at 7 as I new sunset would be around 7:45. I found a spot and basically camped out until sunset. Crowds on the west side started forming 20 mins before sunset. AFter sunset I went for the west side to get the Tower Bridge shots, I quite like the way the Thames leads your eye through the shot.

I printed some of these out on a3 last night and I was blown away by the detail, I'm so glad I have the 5DMk3 and didn't have to use my old 40d....

It was a bit awkward lying down trying to get shots (had to keep making sure my arse wasn't hanging out) but worth it. There were plenty of other people up there and all of the people with slr's uniformly commented "What's that? I wish I had one of those.." about the lens skirt. Impossible to get good shots without something to block out the light.

Watch out on 72, people jumping around will cause the floor boards to wobble, so if doing a long'ish exposure make sure your camera is resting on one of the window sills.

Really enjoyable experience all in all. Would be interested to see the quality of pictures taken by the hordes with their ipads of all things (who in the hell walks round sightseeing with an ipad???)

Oh and watch out for the p***ed up city folk. Plenty of those up there quaffing the champers.....

Round about f11 ish.... shutter speed dependant on what it was, so sunsets fast enough to get rid of "most" of the blown highlights, for the darker stuff some were around 30 seconds, some less.

I used a lens skirt to get rid of the reflections (either make one or buy one, just use black material and attach some suckers to it) and used the slr gorrilapod to keep it steady.
I'm surprised that they let you do this, but it's the only way you'll completely avoid reflections.
I guess a Gorrilapod is about he only way to get around the "No tripods" rule.
I'm hoping they may run some more photography days, but this time in the evening.
I'd say the time you were there was perfect, with just enough light to give good detail in the buildings, but dark enough for the street lighting to show up well.
With the early morning session the sun was shining almost horizontally through the eastern widows, giving maximum illumination to the interior fittings, and hence the worst case for reflections.

I'd avoid level 69 and go straight for 72. single plate glass on 72.
Although it's double glass on 69, because the background is darker I found, if anything, the reflections were less intrusive on 69.
With a little more planning the whole of both areas could have been made a lot more photographer friendly.
There are so many light painted items that reflect into the glass that just by painting them a dark colour would reduce reflections considerably.
The silver glass framing and handrail similarly don't help.

I booked in at 7 as I new sunset would be around 7:45. I found a spot and basically camped out until sunset. Crowds on the west side started forming 20 mins before sunset. AFter sunset I went for the west side to get the Tower Bridge shots, I quite like the way the Thames leads your eye through the shot.
I know you meant to say East for Tower Bridge, but the curve of the Thames is a great lead-in towards Canary Wharf. It's not till you see it from up there that you realise just how much the river meanders on it's way through the city.
View attachment 9378
I put the above image in our club comp last week and the judge awarded it 20 out of 20 and second place in the comp.

I printed some of these out on a3 last night and I was blown away by the detail, I'm so glad I have the 5DMk3 and didn't have to use my old 40d....

It was a bit awkward lying down trying to get shots (had to keep making sure my arse wasn't hanging out) but worth it. There were plenty of other people up there and all of the people with slr's uniformly commented "What's that? I wish I had one of those.." about the lens skirt. Impossible to get good shots without something to block out the light.

Watch out on 72, people jumping around will cause the floor boards to wobble, so if doing a long'ish exposure make sure your camera is resting on one of the window sills.

Really enjoyable experience all in all. Would be interested to see the quality of pictures taken by the hordes with their ipads of all things (who in the hell walks round sightseeing with an ipad???).
From what I've seen, quite a lot, and an increasing number.
Personally I think someone snapping with an iPad looks hilarious, but they seem to be completely oblivious.
I saw the ultimate last week with a guy taking photos with a small laptop computer!
If they hold any more of those photography events I'm not sure I would go again, but if they were in the evening I might consider it.

BTW, if you think the shard is a good view, a few years ago I went to the Chicago.
The viewing area of the Willis tower (formerly known as the Sears Tower) is on level 103, 412 metres above ground - the Shard is a mere 244 metres.
And I when I was there, I don't recall any reflection problems shooting from the Sears Tower Skydeck.
Mind you it was a while ago.
Taken on Kodachrome 64ASA, late afternoon, view north-east over Lake Michigan.
View attachment 9379

Oh and watch out for the p***ed up city folk. Plenty of those up there quaffing the champers.....
A hazard almost anywhere in London I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Back