The Shard

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Next Saturday I will be attending a pre-opening of The Shard, Europe's tallest building in London UK. They say that you can view 40 miles from the 72 floor. My ticket is for 4:30pm which is around sunset time.

My question is, can you provide the best possible advice for taking photos through glass at night?

I have a Cannon 40D with a efs 17-85mm lens

Many thanks
Andrew

I think I'm right in saying parts of the top are open to elements so you might not have to shoot through glass?

If reflections are bad (dark outside, bright in) - you could try pushing the lens hood right up against the glass and wrapping a black scarf around this to block out all light from reflecting - as you would if shooting in an aquarium...

Going in March on my Birthday,really looking forward to it,not sure the missus is as she doesn't like heights:naughty:

I emailed the Shard information centre to ask if i could shoot from an area without glass and they said it isn't possible, probably due to safety reasons so my advice would be to also use a polariser to cut down on the reflections too.

I visited the Shard yesterday and was quite impressed with the 72nd floor that is half exposed to the elements. Obviously due to the weather and visibility I didn't get any good photos...could barely see the ground!

I did find it quite difficult to get any photos without reflections. The double glazing is impressive though! The other issue I found is how difficult it is to get a clear shot. There are so many ledges and different platforms on the building that it is difficult to find a spot where you can look down to see the floor.

I hope you get/had better weather conditions than myself! Will consider going again to see the other 39.5miles that weren't visible because of the snow! Haha.

Back