The Slaughter House Chapel

Edit My Images
Yes
Cwmorthin-Relics.jpg

I've been visiting Cwm Orthin for about thirty years now and I've seen the buildings falling steadily into disrepair as nature takes them back over.

The quarry had a poor safety record which led to it being known as "the Slaughter House" and this small chapel was built for it's workers. I guess it must have seen some tragic times.

I have old negatives I took showing it in much better repair but when the back wall fell in a few years ago, so did most of the roof and these last timbers just point up to the sky like bony fingers now.

The sheep skull and the dead, rotting pine seem to complete the somber mood for me somehow.

yup like that.. my kinda landscape pic... looks like a touch of HDR in there ( could be wrong ) but if so done nicely ( you can almost count the blades of grass ). like the low down angle as well and the brooding sky gives it an extra added sense of desolation and decay.
think this would work equally well as black and white and also would love to see a night shot version maybe using some lights ( torches or similar ) put inside the building to light it up a little ) or a long exposure against a star filled sky.. def a place worth going back to for more shots.

Excellent location and strong, thoughtful composition, but the processing is overcooked for me. It could just be the way the image has compressed to this small size, but it seems very much oversharpened, resulting in halos around detail.

I do like a strong treatment and this is on the upper edge fo me but I wanted to bring out the texture.

There is a manual blend to control the sky a bit but not an actual HDR treatment.

moved to correct forum area for you - please don't post photo-sharing threads in the Talk Sections.

Excellent (y)

Back