The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What is a lsi chip?

I'm not exactly sure what Sony mean but back in my computer days (I used to fix 'em)

LSI = large Scale Integration.

Stay with me on this... :D

A large scale integrated device is just a chip that contains a lot of gubbins inside. That's it. They can be made to perform a function that lots of companies will want to use in lots of products or they can be designed specifically to perform a function for one device or for one customer, such as a Sony camera :D

What you can do is take a lot of the electronics out of a camera and incorporate it into a chip, or maybe into just a few chips. The advantages of this can include cost, assembly and repair time and they can be more reliable, maybe, possibly, and possibly the device will operate faster and consume less power.

In the olden days before we had chips and processors and things like that everything was done with transistors, diodes and the like and before that we had valves, but I never worked on valves. Everything that can be done with a processor, logic or LSI chip can be done the old way with valves, transistors and resistors etc but with LSI and the more modern stuff you can reduce the size and cost and power consumption and make it smaller and easier to make and fix etc.

It's all good :D unless you want to open the thing up on your kitchen table and fix it as you can't find the faulty transistor and replace it as all of the gubbins is hidden inside a little black plastic chip with a number on top of it.

So in a nutshell its Sony's version of a Digi6+ CPU found on Canon?
I am not so sure, Sony still have their Bionz X CPU in the body too, the LSI CPU sits a long side it........ I would be interesting to see if Sony release a new generation Bionz CPU in the future or possible double up and have a dual-CPU setup for greater speed.

Why not just slap on a snapdragon 820 quad core cpu or better yet an i7 920? :)
Because that would be another excuse for Sony to put up the prices even more...... :D lol
I wonder if Sony will go down the Fuji route and start adding dedicated ISO/Shutter dials on the A9? :)

Because that would be another excuse for Sony to put up the prices even more...... :D lol
I wonder if Sony will go down the Fuji route and start adding dedicated ISO/Shutter dials on the A9? :)

This is something that I used to lust after but I'm not so sure that the top plate is the place for controls like this. Can they be easily operated with the camera to your eye without upsetting balance and stability?

I think that I like the way everyone else does it, with front and back dials that can be easily operated with my index finger and thumb with my eye to the EVF and whilst maintaining stability.

Looking at the manual dials and getting all olde worlde is all well and good but these are cameras not museum exhibits.

What do you guys prefer?

hehehe. engineer techie types have a reputation for not bothering too much with some of those things. 'Corse I was the exception :D

This is something that I used to lust after but I'm not so sure that the top plate is the place for controls like this. Can they be easily operated with the camera to your eye without upsetting balance and stability?

I think that I like the way everyone else does it, with front and back dials that can be easily operated with my index finger and thumb with my eye to the EVF and whilst maintaining stability.

Looking at the manual dials and getting all olde worlde is all well and good but these are cameras not museum exhibits.

What do you guys prefer?

I am not too fussed as I have my A7RII on Auto-ISO mostly anyways.....
I just want Sony to crack the speed side of things with their A9.

I am not too fussed as I have my A7RII on Auto-ISO mostly anyways.....
I just want Sony to crack the speed side of things with their A9.
Yup. Just about the fastest camera I've ever used is my Panasonic G7 and if Sony could get somewhere near the speed and responsiveness of that it'd be pretty amazing. I appreciate others will want fast and reliable tracking, duel card slots and a joystick etc..

Yup. Just about the fastest camera I've ever used is my Panasonic G7 and if Sony could get somewhere near the speed and responsiveness of that it'd be pretty amazing. I appreciate others will want fast and reliable tracking, duel card slots and a joystick etc..
Fastest for me is the 5d4 so far

So which lenses are the best Sony vs Fuji.....

Sony Vs. Fuji

Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM
Vs.
Fuji 56mm f1.2 APD XF

Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8 GM
Vs.
Fuji 16-55mm f2.8 R LM WR

Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM
Vs.
Fuji 50-140mm f2.8 WR OIS

Sony FE 35mm f2.8
Vs.
Fuji 23mm f1.4 R

Sony FE 55mm f1.8
Vs.
Fuji 35mm f2.0 R WR

Sony FE 16-35mm f4
Vs.
Fuji 10-24mm f4 R OIS

Sony FE 90mm f2.8 G Macro
Vs.
Fuji 60mm f2.4 R Macro

Sony FE 1.4x TC
Vs.
Fuji 1.4 TC

Last edited:

Sony Vs. Fuji

Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM
Vs.
Fuji 56mm f1.2 APD XF

Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8 GM
Vs.

Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM
Vs.

Sony FE 35mm f2.8
Vs.
Fuji 23mm f1.4 R

Sony FE 55mm f1.8
Vs.
Fuji 35mm f2.0 R WR

Sony FE 16-35mm f4
Vs.
Fuji 10-24mm f4 R OIS

Vs.
Fuji 60mm f2.4 R Macro

Sony FE 1.4x TC
Vs.
Fuji 1.4 TC
Sony. Easily

Guys i dont know if any of you have seen this
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4059416#forum-post-58426703

But a guy bought the 24-70 G Master and noticed the option Phase detect AF PAF is invalid and the option doesn't allow you to select, if you see he's been in Convo with Sony and they admit it doesn't work YET!!!!, I tested my 28mm F2 and that gives same messages. I cant select it and when i do Invalid with this Lens.

However with my Metabones and Canon Glass i get PAF..and can select either

Anybody know the reasons behind it, does it just work magically anyway or have Sony dropped the ball with PAF and E ?

Guys i dont know if any of you have seen this
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4059416#forum-post-58426703

But a guy bought the 24-70 G Master and noticed the option Phase detect AF PAF is invalid and the option doesn't allow you to select, if you see he's been in Convo with Sony and they admit it doesn't work YET!!!!, I tested my 28mm F2 and that gives same messages. I cant select it and when i do Invalid with this Lens.

However with my Metabones and Canon Glass i get PAF..and can select either

Anybody know the reasons behind it, does it just work magically anyway or have Sony dropped the ball with PAF and E ?

Interesting but having used my 24-70 G Master a long with other native FE lenses the AF seems snappy..... I believe this is a error as I find it hard to imagine Sony would develop a Body and Lens system that didn't take advantage of the Hybrid-AF system.
Perhaps the user has a faulty lens/body? Or maybe the Sony Support techie is wrong?
I will check mine but I am pretty sure Hybrid AF works fine.....

The flip side to this situation is, if it is true that Hybrid-AF (phase) isn't currently implemented using Sony lenses imagine the AF improvements if/when Sony turns it on ?

Seems daft.

Last edited:
Mines same Riz, with 28mm i also get his issue....youll see probably the same...

Custom settings TAB 7

Last edited:
In case anyone else is thinking of upgrading their Mac, I just discovered that Sony 3.20 firmware updater for the A7 won't run on MacOS Sierra (10.12). Specs for the updater (released in July) only run to 10.11.

Looks like it's the same for other A7x models including the A7M2 3.20 firmware that was released last Friday: up to 10.11 only.

Lesson: get your camera firmware updated on the camera before upgrading your Mac. Fortunately, I have another machine I can use that's running an older OS.

Last edited:
Rumor site is reporting a possible firmware update coming in a months time to address the GUI/Menu system. :) Hope its true.

Mines same Riz, with 28mm i also get his issue....youll see probably the same...

Custom settings TAB 7
If true this is kind a epic fail :eek: lol
I am wondering if its just a glitch on the firmware showing duff menu selection information... i.e. Hybrid-AF is actually on but the menu isn't reporting it correctly?
Seriously...... a camera body touting a Hybrid-AF which doesn't actually work with native FE lenses???? Really? :eek:

yeah i know, It works with my Canon which is weird.... I bet its a firmware glitch....

yeah i know, It works with my Canon which is weird.... I bet its a firmware glitch....
Has to be...... as I am pretty sure if the body was only using contract based AF using native lenses they would be slower than they are working at present...... :)

It's grayed out for native lenses cause it's already employing it. Those options are for non-native lenses. Af-c wide would be the easiest test to see if it tracks a subject.

So where ok Phewww

It's grayed out for native lenses cause it's already employing it. Those options are for non-native lenses. Af-c wide would be the easiest test to see if it tracks a subject.

So where ok Phewww
Haha I knew it...... :D Sony aren't that daft....

Sony Vs. Fuji

Sony FE 85mm f1.4 GM
Vs.
Fuji 56mm f1.2 APD XF

Sony FE 24-70mm f2.8 GM
Vs.

Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM
Vs.

Sony FE 35mm f2.8
Vs.
Fuji 23mm f1.4 R

Sony FE 55mm f1.8
Vs.
Fuji 35mm f2.0 R WR

Sony FE 16-35mm f4
Vs.
Fuji 10-24mm f4 R OIS

Vs.
Fuji 60mm f2.4 R Macro

Sony FE 1.4x TC
Vs.
Fuji 1.4 TC

Difficult to say. And "best" is subjective. If you want classic chrome film look then the Fuji wins in every case.
You really have to look into attributes on a number of levels - which I don't have time to and can only do so on lenses that I've owned. And then also ask if is that lens worth 4-5 time more than that lens? Will my photos look better?

In case anyone else is thinking of upgrading their Mac, I just discovered that Sony 3.20 firmware updater for the A7 won't run on MacOS Sierra (10.12). Specs for the updater (released in July) only run to 10.11.

Looks like it's the same for other A7x models including the A7M2 3.20 firmware that was released last Friday: up to 10.11 only.

Lesson: get your camera firmware updated on the camera before upgrading your Mac. Fortunately, I have another machine I can use that's running an older OS.
Darn!!

Already upgraded macOS so looks as if firmware will have to wait though on mkii doubt I will miss much

Thanks for heads up

85mm Loxia. Tempting, oh so tempting. For this amateur the Loxia are my favourites.

But it is the one focal length I know I use least, the in-between length, always preferring a 100mm or a 50mm.

Still a bit confused about the uses for a manual focus f2.4 85mm, but I guess its my style.

My good friend just bought two superb Rollei 6008 lenses that were mega expensive considering their age.
I just found my wife's Canon sureshot supreme (with kodak 400 film in it) and got quite excited!
My Batis 25mm has sat in a case unused for at least two months cos I use the 21 and 35 mm loxias.

There's nowt so queer as folk.

My good friend just bought two superb Rollei 6008 lenses that were mega expensive considering their age.
I just found my wife's Canon sureshot supreme (with kodak 400 film in it) and got quite excited!
My Batis 25mm has sat in a case unused for at least two months cos I use the 21 and 35 mm loxias.

There's nowt so queer as folk.

Its not the focal length or the manual focus bit the two combined. I use 85mm and manual focus lens up to around 50mm

Its not the focal length or the manual focus bit the two combined. I use 85mm and manual focus lens up to around 50mm

Not sure what you mean. I have manual focus 85s that range from f/1.2 (FD 85L) through f/1.8 (Canon FDn) to f/2.8 (Contax C/Y).

I'm happy to use any of them depending on what I'm after that day. Then again I own and use m/f lenses from 17mm up to 500mm. The only AF lens I've used since buying my A7 two years ago is the kit 28-70 that came with it, and that only a very few times.

Still a bit confused about the uses for a manual focus f2.4 85mm, but I guess its my style.

Well, as you'll know 85mm is considered to be one of the classic focal lengths. As to the aperture, I think they wanted to keep the bulk and weight down in keeping with the other Loxia's.

I think f2.4 is just enough :D actually I'd think that f2.8 was just enough :D

Back