The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Looks like Sony isn't going to stop making Sony A-mount bodies...... WHAT!! :eek:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...-business-defies-digital-camera-decline-95832

Kimio Maki, senior general manager of Sony’s Digital Imaging Business Group, at Photokina
Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...ital-camera-decline-95832#5Jd1FcYaUT31BZcf.99

Maki confirmed that Sony will continue to create new camera systems for A-mount, telling AP he is confident there is sufficient demand.

He said most A-mount users hail from Japan and Europe, although he did not know how many exist worldwide.

Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...ital-camera-decline-95832#5Jd1FcYaUT31BZcf.99

It seems crazy that Sony are going to keep both a and e-mount system running, it means twice the R&D costs etc when they could drop a-mount and go "all in" with e-mount and the A9 pro series range, it could potentially start a shift in the market from DSLR's to Mirrorless. :(

Last edited:
Ok now that the Sony A99 II is out, thought I would have a stab (guess) at what we may see in the Sony A9/R bodies when they eventually arrive.
A9 series to include all the key features of the A7RII / A99II with the revised features listed below.

Sony A9
New 42.2mp BSI CMOS with Front-end LSI and onboard DRAM
New larger body with improved grip including manual dials for ISO, Shutter Speed and AF spot toggle
New Bionz X2 processor (quad-core) / Dual Bionz X
New OLED rear LCD touch-screen
New GUI - touch to focus and full touch GUI
New battery for improved power utilization
New 120/240fps EVF
Base ISO 64 - Max ISO 25200
AF down to -6EV
Fully water, dirt and freeze resistant/proof
18fps / 12fps with no black-outs for high-speed AF-tracking
Pre-define and custom AF tracking mode selections
Dual xQD memory card slots
Unlimited RAW & JPEG buffer
4K/60p video recording along with the 1k/2k options including S-Log3, slow-motion and RAW image capturing from video.
Free 12 months Sony Pro Support
3 Years Warranty

Sony A9R
New 72.2mp BSI CMOS with Front-end LSI and onboard DRAM
New larger body with improved grip including manual dials for ISO, Shutter Speed and AF spot toggle
New 120/240fps EVF
AF down to -4EV
5fps / 8fps with no black-outs for high-speed AF-tracking
Limited RAW & JPEG buffer
4K/60p video recording along with the 1k/2k options including S-Log3, slow-motion and RAW image capturing from video.
3 Years Warranty

Anybody buying the A9/R automatically qualify for free extended warranty on the GM lenses. ;)
Did I miss anything? :D

Last edited:
Ok now that the Sony A99 II is out, thought I would have a stab (guess) at what we may see in the Sony A9/R bodies when they eventually arrive.
A9 series to include all the key features of the A7RII / A99II with the revised features listed below.

Sony A9
New 42.2mp BSI CMOS with Front-end LSI and onboard DRAM
New 120/240fps EVF
AF down to -6EV
18fps / 12fps with no black-outs for high-speed AF-tracking
Unlimited RAW & JPEG buffer
3 Years Warranty

Sony A9R
New 72.2mp BSI CMOS with Front-end LSI and onboard DRAM
New 120/240fps EVF
AF down to -4EV
5fps / 8fps with no black-outs for high-speed AF-tracking
Limited RAW & JPEG buffer
3 Years Warranty

Anybody buying the A9/R automatically qualify for free extended warranty on the GM lenses. ;)
Did I miss anything? :D

Nice list. Just your guess of prices missing... ?

Nice list. Just your guess of prices missing... ?
I have a feeling its going to be between £3499 to £3999 for the A9 with the A9R costing around £200 more. :(
If Sony decide to re-jig the A7 series pricing we could see the A9 start at £2999 with the A7RII dropping to £2499

Last edited:
Will Sony release a wildlife lens to go with the super fast A9?
I suspect yes but knowing Sony, it wont be cheap at all.
The only native option at the moment is the expensive 70-200mm f2.8 GM with the 2.0x TC giving you 400mm.

I expect the Sony A9/9R to be fully announced in November alongside the 16-35mm f2.8GM with probable Q1 shipments.
Sony may show us a FE 200-400mm G OSS f3.5-5.6 prototype.

And for Sony to issue development announcements on maybe the below lenses, Sony will probably reduce costs by dispensing with in-built lens OSS in favor of in-body IBIS to keep lens costs down and give better optical performance.

Not sure if Sony will continue to license the Zeiss brand or go on their own with the G and G Master lines

35mm f1.2 GM
55mm f1.2 GM
135mm f1.8 G
200mm f4 G
300mm f4 G

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: WWA
I suspect yes but knowing Sony, it wont be cheap at all.
The only native option at the moment is the expensive 70-200mm f2.8 GM with the 2.0x TC giving you 400mm.

I thought there was a zoom that goes to 300mm?

Just playing around with Nik, I could play with this all day :D

I don't think these are a million miles away from what I got out of my Kodak Instamatic 30 years ago, maybe a bit better although why I'd do these to A7 files is another question :D I had to make sure the sky blew out on the second one and actually it would have probably blown on the first too.

These are efforts at making shots look old I did some time ago and before I got the Nik stuff. These were with my G1. I used 16:9 to try and confuse the age but actually I wish I'd used 4:3 or 3:2 now.

Last edited:
Sony would be mental to abandon Zeiss.
Look out for a Sony Zeiss 135 1.8 coming to fe mount. Will be mustard.

Just playing around with Nik, I could play with this all day :D

I don't think these are a million miles away from what I got out of my Kodak Instamatic 30 years ago, maybe a bit better although why I'd do these to A7 files is another question :D I had to make sure the sky blew out on the second one and actually it would have probably blown on the first too.

These are efforts at making shots look old I did some time ago and before I got the Nik stuff. These were with my G1. I used 16:9 to try and confuse the age but actually I wish I'd used 4:3 or 3:2 now.

Nice shots and progress indeed as good as 30 years ago :)

Sony would be mental to abandon Zeiss.
Look out for a Sony Zeiss 135 1.8 coming to fe mount. Will be mustard.

I think they get kudos from having the Zeiss badge on their lenses. You only have to read the comments on forums, even this one, about Sony being an electronics company and people mentioning computer games. No matter what Sony's history or how good their cameras and lenses are there'll be those who simply wont view them as a camera company of any merit. Having a Zeiss badge must help with that.

If the Sony A9 doesn't at least match the best AF mirrorless bodies like the Fuji XT-2 & Sony A6300 I'll be severely disappointed!

I was watching PhotoRec TV videos on youtube, specifically Toby's vlogs from a recent safari trip. He has a canon 5dii and also a A7Rii. He had a canon mount sigma 150-600 C rigged up to his A7Rii via an adapter. He stated that whilst the auto focus wasn't as good as the Canon camera it was very usable and he was enjoying the combination due to the Sonys awesome picture quality. In all the videos I've watched so far I've not seen him use the Canon yet, so it must be good enough! I thought it an interesting concept, although I can't imagine using my A7ii as a wildlife camera. And any of you tried this combo? Or do any of you use the A7xx as a wildlife camera?

I have to correct myself here I'm afraid, the camera that worked well with the adapter and 150-600 was the A6300. The A7Rii did not work well.

Hope no ones bought a a7rii, 150-600 and adapter just on a whim after my post :D
I use the a mount version with the le ea 3 adaptor on my a7rii and have found the performance good, it's more interesting on the a6000 as its manual focus but I would assume it would be even better on the a6300.

I use the a mount version with the le ea 3 adaptor on my a7rii and have found the performance good, it's more interesting on the a6000 as its manual focus but I would assume it would be even better on the a6300.

Thanks for the info. It's an interesting combination. Does the auto focus work well then when on the a7rii?

Thanks for the info. It's an interesting combination. Does the auto focus work well then when on the a7rii?
Its good enough to use but not as good as I would like, it that makes any sense. I generally only use adapted lens now were there is not a native option, my hope is that before long sigma/tamron will start releasing new lens with a e-mount option.

Its good enough to use but not as good as I would like, it that makes any sense. I generally only use adapted lens now were there is not a native option, my hope is that before long sigma/tamron will start releasing new lens with a e-mount option.

That would be nice!

So the choices are, for use with my a7,

Sony fe 70-200 f4 (will have to save up for a good few months)

Laea4 with Minolta 70-210 f4

Laea4 with tamron/sigma/Tokina 70-200 2.8 (if any are full frame compatible).

What would you go for and why?

Thanks.

The laea4 is only worth it if you plan to use it with multiple lens, otherwise go native. I brought mine as soon as I got my a6000 along with the Minolta beer, 35-70mm f4 and 4 primes and it was my main lens setup for some time and worked well. Remember the laea4 redecues the f stop of any lenes, and you loose some of the cool focus features of the Sony mirroeless cameras.

So the choices are, for use with my a7,

Sony fe 70-200 f4 (will have to save up for a good few months)

Thanks.

I suggest checking dealers for a used one. I bought one from Wex and its perfect condition and very sharp. A great lens

I'll be selling my Sony FE 70-200 f4 G OSS soon folks ;) along side my Zeiss Batis 25mm f2.0 :D

I thought I'd link to a Photokina piece at Luminous Landscape for all you lot anxiously waiting for the rumored A9...

https://luminous-landscape.com/photokina-2016-day-two-three/

but as this is a subscription site and you may not be able to view here's a little teaser from them...

"We are looking forward to seeing what all the smiles and head nods we have getting are all about. I have all three G-Master lenses and they are incredible lenses. I wonder why they really built them. Something is coming."

Something is coming they say... but WHEN?

PS.

I shot 90-odd shots with my manual Rokkor 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.2 and 85mm f2 at a family do (so wont be posting any on line) and just wanted to say... WoW. This would have been science fiction not too long ago :D I shot wide open to f4 at anything from ISO 640 to 25,600 and although a few were slightly off bang on focus either due to me rushing it a bit or subject movement (there were no "hang on a bit while I focus" requests from me) no one viewing whole images normally would be able to tell and everyone who's seen the shots so far is very happy, including me :D but I'm not sure I could do it again :D My technique was to just use peaking when shooting wide open and when shooting stopped down a bit I used peaking to get about there as if zone focusing and then called up the magnified view for a quick final tweak.

I normally use my manual lenses when out walking and shooting scenery and stuff with the odd posed shot of my GF along the way so live people shots in quickfire succession is new to me and I'm very happy. If slightly drunk :D Back when I was shooting at gigs and festivals and the like with my Nikon 35mm I couldn't have dreamed of getting results this good.

Back