The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So my Sony a7rii arrived today. When my wife asks how much it cost I may show her the panamoz invoice on the box showing £124. Lol.

Good first impressions. However, Don't like the lock on the command dial. Never found a need for it on my a7 and this slows things down a little as an extra finger is needed to change modes. Also the exposure compensation dial gets lost behind the bit where my thumb sits. Front an rear dials aren't as pronounced as the a7 and imo not as easy to use. Not sure why Sony changed those.

I'll just have to get over it. The evf is pretty incredible. Seems massive. The silent shutter option will take some getting used to. Just odd not hearing anything. I think it could be an excellent feature though (in natural light of course).
Build quality is really nice. It does have a very premium feel to it. Despite my gripes with the dials the camera does feel very nice in the hands.

As I was "working" from home today and the weather was bloody awful, I didn't get too much of a chance to test the image quality. Just a few snaps. It does look great from what I've seen so far and will hopefully take it out to London Friday.
I have a few more lenses arriving over the next few days as I've sold all my Nikon gear except a few flash guns. I'm really looking forward to using it more.

Don't know if it's worth posting here but I was just browsing AVForums and noticed there's a chap on AVForums selling an A7Rii for £2100

Go on. They deliver in 4 days :)
Mac Pro 24g i7
Haven't loaded anything to Lightroom yet so not sure what editing speed will be like
Just looked at Panamoz £2170 now your Mac beats mine hands down just 27'' i5 16g not comfortable that the graphics would work well with GPS acceleration even though speed is not overly important for me I would like the LR sliders working soon after moving them

Glad you like silent shutter should I move its the extra AF tracking on the 7 mkii

Just looked at Panamoz £2170 now your Mac beats mine hands down just 27'' i5 16g not comfortable that the graphics would work well with GPS acceleration even though speed is not overly important for me I would like the LR sliders working soon after moving them

Glad you like silent shutter should I move its the extra AF tracking on the 7 mkii

Will be under 2k before Xmas I imagine.

Maybe of some use to some readers interested in the A7Rii. I have received a newsletter from Wilkinson Cameras and they have an event coming up in the next few days (Sunday 11th) and they are knocking £500.00 off the A7Rii. This will bring it below the Panamoz price @ £2099.00. Show deal prices and first comed first served by the look of things.

Perhaps this will become the regular price with the run up to Christmas for all dealers??

Linky > http://www.juice-creative.com/wilki...412358721&mc_cid=149503a81a&mc_eid=857ccdfa2a

Last edited:
Reactions: JYC
Speaking of Panamoz, what happened to the pay by bank transfer option?

New shots

untitled-1111.jpg by Jonathan Richards, on Flickr

untitled-1052.jpg by Jonathan Richards, on Flickr

untitled-144.jpg by Jonathan Richards, on Flickr

rugby world cup olympic stadium-61.jpg by Jonathan Richards, on Flickr

weekend summer-55.jpg by Jonathan Richards, on Flickr

rugby world cup olympic stadium-692.jpg by Jonathan Richards, on Flickr

Also some news about the camera.

Sony will release a firmware that enables uncompressed raw file output around mid/end of october

Just downloaded the time lapse app. Can see that you can record 600 shots with an interval of 20 seconds. Total time 3 hours 20 minutes to get 20 seconds of time lapse. Will the battery last that long to take all the shots?

dont know if you can set both evf and lcd to be off?
but yeah id double battery it

on my a mounts id use lcd, then turn it around and close, which turns it off

Dunno about turning them both off but surely if you turn the back screen off and just have the EVF on it'll turn off when you move your eye away from it? Voila! Both off?

Just downloaded the time lapse app. Can see that you can record 600 shots with an interval of 20 seconds. Total time 3 hours 20 minutes to get 20 seconds of time lapse. Will the battery last that long to take all the shots?

Should have just got the grip with intervalometer built in, then your not limited in anyway with time lapse settings.

Should have just got the grip with intervalometer built in, then your not limited in anyway with time lapse settings.

The official grip? Is there a direction pad on it for moving the focus point?

The time lapse settings can be changed within the app, I was just using the above as an example. Knowing how short the battery life is was wondering how others use this.

The battery's grip did enter my thoughts, although after just buying an a7rii, an a7ii, 16-35, 70-200 and a 35mm - funds are now in short supply - despite selling all my Nikon gear.

The Meike one. No directional pad.

The official grip? Is there a direction pad on it for moving the focus point?

The time lapse settings can be changed within the app, I was just using the above as an example. Knowing how short the battery life is was wondering how others use this.

The battery's grip did enter my thoughts, although after just buying an a7rii, an a7ii, 16-35, 70-200 and a 35mm - funds are now in short supply - despite selling all my Nikon gear.
I think perhaps Alan had the simple solution just using EVF give it a go my battery is good for a couple of days of light use but even when switched off drains

Re funds fwiw my funds get tight when I buy a tank of diesel least you are set for a while having 2 of your lens selection I am pleased with them o_O then again always in danger of toys catching my eye ;)

Afaik, you cant have both EVF and LCD off, its either finder/monitor/auto but when using auto its going to switch between screen or EVF .... and the EVF draws more power than the LCD.

Last edited:
So do you mean the EVF turns on even if your eye is not near the sensor? I carry mine on a belt turned on are you meaning that as the view finder is close to my body the EVF is always on bit concerning if so

On my A6000 my strap / hand could 'trip' the eye sensor in auto switching and Im sure the A7 is the same.

If it's anything like my A6000 then yes. I often shoot with the screen flipped up 90 degrees and look down like a waist level finder with manual lenses but if I hold the camera within a few inches of my waist it switches off the screen and enables the EVF. If you're carrying it on a belt I'd either switch it off of accept the battery drain from the EVF.

Dunno about turning them both off but surely if you turn the back screen off and just have the EVF on it'll turn off when you move your eye away from it? Voila! Both off?

I think this is the best way for long exposures. Just make sure no part, not just the eye is anywhere close enough to trip the sensor.

If it's anything like my A6000 then yes. I often shoot with the screen flipped up 90 degrees and look down like a waist level finder with manual lenses but if I hold the camera within a few inches of my waist it switches off the screen and enables the EVF. If you're carrying it on a belt I'd either switch it off of accept the battery drain from the EVF.
Bit worrying for my battery rare I use rear screen prefer the EVF at first battery drained really fast switched airplane mode on no real issue since but goes flat far quicker than Canon perhaps I am triggering my EVF while walking

Cheers

And what will they be... ???

20, 24, 28, 35, 50, 85... I think I'd go for 28, 50 and 85... but could go for 24, 35 and 85... and of course what aperture and how much dosh?

Not long to wait...

If they do a 16mm im having it. The system is really missing a uwa prime.

I'm thinking... obvoiusly it depends what they announce but maybe it could be better to go for M mount for portability just in case of moving away from FE at some point or just selling the lenses on?

I always regretted selling the Voigtlander I used on my Bessa, I should have kept that lens.

Back