The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I also like peak design though i went for belt option

You mean the one you clip the camera to your belt? I might get that next now I e a smaller camera

Hi

I've had all type of sling strap and I gotta say the Peak Design strap is the best. It really is a comfortable strap to have and the camera doesn't bounce about as much as others do. Also easy clip strap off too.
Yes thats the one and would work for dslr as well i use it with my 70-200 f4 was very nervous at first but have found it really good

Might get one those next lol

I'm afraid that I'm about to bring this conversation down a step, from G master lenses and the technical side of RAW files to what strap do you guys use on your Sony? I've got a very thin leather one at the moment which is too femma. A7ii and the 24-70 F4 is my heaviest lens..

I use a Peak Design Slide Lite when I want a full strap (works as a normal strap and a sling). Most of the time I un-clip this and clip on a Peak Design Cuff Wrist Strap.

Why not? As long as it's insured. ;)
Make sure you adjust your total / individual item insurance value to reflect next weeks price increases.

The camera won't know anything about the lens, You have to set the camera to "Release w/o lens- Enable" on gear menu 3.

You can then use A or M mode. ISO and shutter speed is all normal and recorded in exif.

One minor problem using the lens for astro is infinity. Due to the depth of field on these lenses setting infinity can be tricky and the focus ring usually allows setting past infinity. Many users like to preset a hard stop as here http://dslr-astrophotography.com/calibrate-focus-ring-samyang-14mm-f2-8/

Thanks for that.

I think this would drive me nuts, so I'll wait and see what Samyang's new auto 14mm is like.

Might even back the Venus Optics Laowa 12mm on Kickstarter next week when it goes live, like the idea of this converting to a 17mm tilt-shift. Although I guess this will be a fully manual lens like the existing Samyang 14 and need settings changing again.

Then there's also the Irix 15mm f2.4 that is due to have an E-mount version by the end of the year. I looked at a Canon mount version at the show in March and really liked it (body controls aperture but manual focus).

Plus Zeiss are rumoured to be releasing two new Loxia and two new Batis by end of year. I guess it's possible that one of these could be an UWA?

Decisions, decisions :)
(but in no hurry for this lens)

Is it a good idea to bring an a7r2 to a stag do in ibiza? Lol

Terrible idea!!!

Last thing you want is high-res evidence - what goes on tour etc ;)

Last edited:
I use one of these as seen on someone else's camera earlier in this thread:
http://www.cordweaver.co.uk/

Very secure. Perhaps only slightly annoying if you let the camera hang in that in cinches on to your wrist so you can't take it off one-handed. Though this does also mean it's un-droppable if your hands a full.

Thanks for the strap advice everyone. I'll check the links out after work tonight.

Nicely framed note you used ISO 50 never even tried mine looks as if it works very well

So I have, I don't know I'd selected that. I normally use auto ISO apart from on landscapes and so perhaps I'd left that switched on knowing that the wide aperture would case ISO 100 but in fact the camera has selected 50. Or perhaps I did select 50 but can't remember!! Normally wouldn't go below 100 but 50 seems fine too.

So I've either lost, or our daughter has "organised" (i.e put in a bin/shoe/bag/other) the lens cap for my CZ 35mm f/2.8. Does anyone know where to get a replacement from? Just the cap, not the hood. Some say it's the same cap as at the 16-50 which seems er... wrong.

In other news, I found the original lens cap stuck between two flip-flops, which I'm sure counts as "shoes" from my original post.

Anyone use a flash with theirs pls or a lighting unit? Like a handheld LED light

Will try find them. Where u get yours from pls

Two Hundred and Fourteen Quid Jesus lol

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/downsizing-dslr-recommendations.631319/

Am I barking up the wrong tree here by looking at a Sony A series and expecting it to be lighter, smaller, a money saver and produce similar quality images?

Any advise would be hugely appreciated, as you guys know the ins and outs of the A Line

No you not... If I was you I would get the a7ii with a few primes.. Get the kit lens too it a great light lens.

I tried a xt1 and didn't like it coming from d750 but loving the Sony

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/downsizing-dslr-recommendations.631319/

Am I barking up the wrong tree here by looking at a Sony A series and expecting it to be lighter, smaller, a money saver and produce similar quality images?

Any advise would be hugely appreciated, as you guys know the ins and outs of the A Line

Lighter?.......
It depends on how you look at it and what you buy in the overall Sony E-mount (A) system.
It can be a light system when paired up with lenses like the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 or even the f4 zoom's.
But as soon as you start looking at f2.8 zoom's they are just as big as the DSLR equivalents as you can't defy the law of physics.

Smaller?....
Yes the A7 series bodies are relatively small Vs. DSLR's which contain a similar/same level of spec.

Money saver?.....
Doubtful unless your giving up a lot of DSLR kit to pay for it, bear in mind that prices go up 1st of Aug so best act fast.
Only you can decide if it's worth the money moving to Sony, try and test out the Sony body & lenses are ergonomics is a personal thing and you may not like it coming from a bigger DSLR.

Similar quality of images?......
I'd say yes, Sony sensors aren't too bad and should perform as good, if not better than a Canon's.
Lenses also play a big part in the overall IQ too so you need to decide on what focal lengths you need and then buy accordingly.
The Sony 55mm f1.8 is a great lens for the money.

Last edited:

Not a direct move but i had a canon 5d3 plus L series lens fwiw i find the system for IQ very good the Sony glass is fine for me.

Is it lighter yes but not by a huge degree though in the hand it feels lighter

No regrets from me however remember you will be moving for the EVF thats a big plus for me but you need consider that

you are loving it today. tomorrow I'm not so sure!

Hehe .... well if tomorrow he still loves it, next week once the price hikes kick in he may not...... actually many won't be loving it.
I'm guess the Sony A9 will cost between £3499-3999 :(

Hehe .... well if tomorrow he still loves it, next week once the price hikes kick in he may not...... actually many won't be loving it.
I'm guess the Sony A9 will cost between £3499-3999 :(
But in fairness thats Brexit and the strength of the $ v the £ and i would assume that the Canon and Nikon gear will go up as well

But in fairness thats Brexit and the strength of the $ v the £ and i would assume that the Canon and Nikon gear will go up as well

Yes, both Nikon & Canon are putting prices up too.
I was in complete shock when I found out just how much the price of the Sony A7RII and GM lenses are going up by! :eek:

Yes, both Nikon & Canon are putting prices up too.
I was in complete shock when I found out just how much the price of the Sony A7RII and GM lenses are going up by! :eek:
Like you the hike of the 7r2 is making my flabber totally gasted about 30% on Panamoz I am hoping maybe 15% on official uk stock

Still noticed a few used models at £1800 ish considered them but bought 5k Mac SSD new printer and used flash all in effort of beating price hikes :runaway:

Like you the hike of the 7r2 is making my flabber totally gasted about 30% on Panamoz I am hoping maybe 15% on official uk stock

Still noticed a few used models at £1800 ish considered them but bought 5k Mac SSD new printer and used flash all in effort of beating price hikes :runaway:

I'd say your spot on, we are looking at a 15-20% increase come next week :eek:
Unfortunately I'm after the incoming 2016 MacBook Pro so I'll have to pay the new prices etc, it's swings and roundabouts as I'll get good money for the Sony gear I'll be selling off. ;)

Totally, also expecting further Fuji price hikes too, probably time to buy gear now!

Those of you who recommended the Peak Design sling strap- thank you looks perfect for me and I like the fact I can unclip it easily.

These one for DSLRs and one for mirror less so going to get the mirror less as I'm sure it will be sufficient, my biggest lens is the 24-70 f4 and can see me getting anything bigger anytime soon.

For future reference for people looking this is the one..

Peak Design SlideLITE SLL-1. Sling Strap for Mirrorless Cameras https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015CZ6DO4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_2ueMxbNCQZGYY

Not a direct move but i had a canon 5d3 plus L series lens fwiw i find the system for IQ very good the Sony glass is fine for me.

No regrets from me however remember you will be moving for the EVF thats a big plus for me but you need consider that

As long as it feels lighter in the hand, and fits in my Billingham Hadley Pro, I can deal with it.

No you not... If I was you I would get the a7ii with a few primes.. Get the kit lens too it a great light lens.

I tried a xt1 and didn't like it coming from d750 but loving the Sony

This is my current thought path at the moment,

Lighter?.......
It depends on how you look at it and what you buy in the overall Sony E-mount (A) system.
It can be a light system when paired up with lenses like the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 or even the f4 zoom's.
But as soon as you start looking at f2.8 zoom's they are just as big as the DSLR equivalents as you can't defy the law of physics.

Smaller?....
Yes the A7 series bodies are relatively small Vs. DSLR's which contain a similar/same level of spec.

Money saver?.....
Doubtful unless your giving up a lot of DSLR kit to pay for it, bear in mind that prices go up 1st of Aug so best act fast.
Only you can decide if it's worth the money moving to Sony, try and test out the Sony body & lenses are ergonomics is a personal thing and you may not like it coming from a bigger DSLR.

Similar quality of images?......
I'd say yes, Sony sensors aren't too bad and should perform as good, if not better than a Canon's.
Lenses also play a big part in the overall IQ too so you need to decide on what focal lengths you need and then buy accordingly.
The Sony 55mm f1.8 is a great lens for the money.

I quoted your post in the other thread I had, and found it very helpful,
35 and 55 plus 24-70 would be my len choices I'd imagine. Not loads of DSLR kit but enough, 4 lenses, a body, flash, filters, etc.

What is the EVF like to get used to, and how is the AF, I do alot of street so need (at times) to be fairly quick?

It is one of my concerns the EVF, and AF. How do you find the AF accuracy and speed in relation to the 5D3?

What rocket blowers are people using on their A7 pls? As going to get one ready for when I need one...

Guess you got the Ziess cleaning kit then which include blower and case

Back