Downsizing DSLR - Recommendations

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Apologies for another one of these threads, I have seen a few popping up and searching didn't quite give me a definitive answer.

I currently own a Canon 6D with a few L lenses. I love the camera, but I rarely take it our of the house, its big, it can be heavy at times, I feel its a chore to take out.

I have contemplated downsizing for a while. However I know virtually nothing about Mirrorless or 4/3. I will be using the camera to take on holiday, shoot street/urban landscapes, cities etc possible some urbex.

The Sony A7 has caught my eye, and I did so a slight bit of research. I would say the A7R and A7S probably are not suited to my styles, but I'm not definitive on that. So my choice would be the A7 or A7II. People in other threads have recommended the O-MD1 or XT1 etc, that is a completely new kettle of fish for me, and that's as far as my knowledge goes in that area, is it worth researching and venturing don the unknown path, when talking about this kind of money,

The questions I guess I need to ask is:

Is downsizing a realistic option to maintain the quality of the camera and images I am used to with the Canon 6D/24-70 2.8L, and if so what cameras could be recommended, would one of those be an A7, if so is the A7II worth the difference?

Who has done it and was it worth it, what camera did you choose and why?

Last edited:
At this point i would ask how much downsizing would the Sony A give you after your lens choice.

From what you say you will be shooting You would be served well with an Eos M and 22mm f2 lens which you can pick up used for around £150.

I moved from a 7D with grip and 7 lenses, 2x flashes etc. to an A7RII and a 35mm... likewise wasn't taking it out, especially on day trips with our littl'un which started to make up the majority of reasons to take a camera anywhere...

For me, it was definitely worth the switch. It's a small enough package it can be chucked in any bag, but the IQ and capabilities of the camera mean it can be used to take some incredible "proper" photos as-and-when time allows. It was a step-up anyway from the 7D (Old-crop to bleeding-edge Full Frame) in terms of ISO, Dynamic Range etc.

The only real cons for me are lens prices for native lenses (and I had to sell everything to fund the switch), plus using your old Canon lenses would defeat the point of downsizing, and battery-life - but the camera ships with 2 batteries anyway, so it's just something to get used to.

If you want to keep a zoom, you' won't really see the size benefits - but if you could be persuaded to get a single prime, the 35mm or 55mm both give incredible image sharpness with very small bodies.

Agree with Mike above. I use an A7ii and the f4 zooms - great setup (for me) but not much smaller than a DSLR.

In fact I also have an A6000 with a couple of small Sigma primes for when I want a small, portable, light kit. Nowhere near as good as my A7 kit, but good enough for non-dedicated photography outings :)

Edit - Paul makes a good point above if you can live with just a couple of small primes. I also have the 55 f1.8 and it's a great, great lens.

Last edited:
Been using M43 for a few years now, but whilst it's smaller and lighter I still find I'm carrying a bag about with me, and changing lenses can be a pain.

I've consider 2 bodies, Panasonic GM1 with 20/1.7 for low light and G6 with 12-32 pancake. Both will slip into a jacket pocket. But still carry kit about with you.

But, I'm looking for a used D700 and then have a RX100 iv for casual use and light travel.

Last edited:
At this point i would ask how much downsizing would the Sony A give you after your lens choice.

I would probably aim for 1 or 2 primes for outings I know and I can plan. Then one zoom for general.

From what you say you will be shooting You would be served well with an Eos M and 22mm f2 lens which you can pick up used for around £150.

I haven't looked into this at all, will it produce similar quality images to the 6D. The 22mm Lens certainly looks interesting!

I moved from a 7D with grip and 7 lenses, 2x flashes etc. to an A7RII and a 35mm... likewise wasn't taking it out, especially on day trips with our littl'un which started to make up the majority of reasons to take a camera anywhere...

For me, it was definitely worth the switch. It's a small enough package it can be chucked in any bag, but the IQ and capabilities of the camera mean it can be used to take some incredible "proper" photos as-and-when time allows. It was a step-up anyway from the 7D (Old-crop to bleeding-edge Full Frame) in terms of ISO, Dynamic Range etc.

The only real cons for me are lens prices for native lenses (and I had to sell everything to fund the switch), plus using your old Canon lenses would defeat the point of downsizing, and battery-life - but the camera ships with 2 batteries anyway, so it's just something to get used to.

If you want to keep a zoom, you' won't really see the size benefits - but if you could be persuaded to get a single prime, the 35mm or 55mm both give incredible image sharpness with very small bodies.

I feel this is a very similar situation.Native lenses are expensive for the Sony. Is aim for a Zoom and a couple of primes, probably a WA and a 55mm. I am in no doubt I would have to sell all my Canon gear to fund a change. What lenses do you have for the Sony, and any problems found during or just after the initial switch over?

Agree with Mike above. I use an A7ii and the f4 zooms - great setup (for me) but not much smaller than a DSLR.

In fact I also have an A6000 with a couple of small Sigma primes for when I want a small, portable, light kit. Nowhere near as good as my A7 kit, but good enough for non-dedicated photography outings :)

Edit - Paul makes a good point above if you can live with just a couple of small primes. I also have the 55 f1.8 and it's a great, great lens.

Completely agree the A7II isn't a huge downsize in terms of weight. But I would be inclined to transfer to primes, and a single zoom. The A6000 i did look at, but something just drew me to the A7 line.

Thank you all for the input so far!

As above, by the time you add some of the better lenses the A7 system isn't a great deal smaller. Fuji do some really nice glass and great bodies which will be a bit smaller overall. For me the best compromise between size and IQ is the m4/3 systems. In certain situations I was hard pressed to tell the difference between the IQ from my EM5-II and D750, but in more demanding conditions the difference became more apparent. The Olly held up well though.

However in the end I found I hardly used the Olly as I shoot a lot of wildlife and sports, and rarely go on hol so ended up selling all my m4/3 gear and bought a used G7x for the few times I need portability. It sits easier having a camera worth a couple of hundred pounds gathering dust for most of the year rather than a system costing £1.5k ;)

I have a 6D & a 7D2 but my go to body these days is my Fuji X-T1. I only have a couple of lenses at present (18-55 & 35mm f1.4) but I can't put the thing down. We recently went on a trip to North Wales and the Canon gear stayed in the car with the exception of 1 particular shot with the 6D, and then the 7D & 150-600 were on duty at an RSPB reserve. Other than that, I took the Fuji everywhere. Smaller, lighter, great images, easy to use.

I would probably aim for 1 or 2 primes for outings I know and I can plan. Then one zoom for general.
I feel this is a very similar situation.Native lenses are expensive for the Sony. Is aim for a Zoom and a couple of primes, probably a WA and a 55mm. I am in no doubt I would have to sell all my Canon gear to fund a change. What lenses do you have for the Sony, and any problems found during or just after the initial switch over?

I still just have the single 35mm f/2.8. Quite a massive change from having lenses covering 10-300mm, including a macro 100mm and the Sigma Art 30mm f/1.4!
But I LOVE it. It gives me a challenge to really make a shot work (which I regularly fail at!). Plus with 42mp there's plenty of scope for cropping, and I can stitch for more wide-angle shots. I nearly went with the Loxia rather than Sony-Zeiss lens, as liked the idea of going fully manual - but then figured spending all the money for top-of-the-line camera but not being able to use the advanced focusing ability was a bit of a daft move. The eye-tracking AF is fantastic for portraits, the peaking great for other stuff.

Having said that, I'm now starting to hanker for another lens - either (both!) a Wangle or 85/90mm. I'm not looking at zooms for price/size reasons, but it's taking a lot longer to save up for than Canon ones did.

In terms of problems encountered - re-learning where buttons are so you can happily shoot and adjust on the fly with your eye the view-finder took a while to get used to, but I guess that's the same whenever you move manufacturers. You can customise most of the buttons on the A7's anyway, so can get pretty close to my previous setup.
There are a few issues with the A7's menu system, which appears to have been created using the a list of menu options stuck to a wall and a dart
The delay from shooting to reviewing a shot (flipside - prevents chimping)
Having to be aware of battery life rather than carrying 2 batteries for my 7D an knowing this would do me for nearly a week's worth of shooting on holiday. One thing I didn't really consider was as it's an EVF, the camera has to be on for you to see the shot through the camera, so you have to turn it on to check on framing, unlike with an SLR.

But the fact that I'm even taking shots as I have the camera with me, and really enjoying the photography all make up for these.
Yes, I could easily have bought a less-expensive camera/system, I was pretty tempted by the X100s, but I like to think that once la bambina is a bit older, I'll be able to get more time to go out and do some "proper" shooting and I've already got the kit, and familiarity with it, to make the most of it.

Plus having a friend who works at Sony and gets killer staff-discounts was a plus ;)

Eos M will give you same image quality as 650/750d so for day to day use will be no real difference. Eos M3 will give same image quality as 70/80d/750/760d.
What's to loose with an original M body and the 22mm for around £150
Yes we all know it's not good for tracking and shooting sports but your original post states smaller size and shooting holiday/urbex etc. Try the Eos M for a cheap outlay and if it's not for you ten small for a small to nil loss.
And the bonus is that if you do like it you can use your canon glass with The adapter.

Are you sure this isn't just G.A.S?

How much weight will a Sony A7-series outfit save? If you want to make a significant dent in the bulk of your outfit, you'll have to both downsize from full-frame format and rationalise your lenses or you'll be back at square one with a big hole in your wallet. No free lunch, you'll have to compromise.

My walkabout kit is a Canon 5D2 with 24-105 zoom on a Black Rapid sling strap. Hardly know it's there most of the time. Maybe with a little 270EX flash in a pocket and it can have a go at most things and usually come up smiling.

If that's too much, how about a 40/2.8 pancake on the 6D, on a sling strap? Terrific little lens, and great value. The strap is the key to ease of portability for me.

My walkabout kit is a Canon 5D2 with 24-105 zoom on a Black Rapid sling strap. Hardly know it's there most of the time. Maybe with a little 270EX flash in a pocket and it can have a go at most things and usually come up smiling.
This was another reason I dumped my m4/3 gear. It was too bulky for a pocket so had to use it on a black rapid strap (now changed to a peak design slide), in which case my D750 with 24-120mm f4 really didn't feel any different. On paper the weight difference was quite a bit, but on a sling strap the weight distribution is such that the D750 and 24-120mm is barely noticeable as you say. The D750 and my Tamron 150-600mm on the other hand ;)

Eos M will give you same image quality as 650/750d so for day to day use will be no real difference. Eos M3 will give same image quality as 70/80d/750/760d.
What's to loose with an original M body and the 22mm for around £150
Yes we all know it's not good for tracking and shooting sports but your original post states smaller size and shooting holiday/urbex etc. Try the Eos M for a cheap outlay and if it's not for you ten small for a small to nil loss.
And the bonus is that if you do like it you can use your canon glass with The adapter.

Its certainly an option I could try out, I may possibly try and borrow one from a friend. Its a goo money saving exercise as well

I really couldn't get on with the A7II - and I so wanted to like it. More here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/moving-away-from-mirrorless.623379/#post-7382409

I did have a read through last night actually after a search, some very interesting points, It appears you use yours a lot in studios which would be the opposite to me. However you did raise some good points, especially about battery life etc.

Are you sure this isn't just G.A.S?

How much weight will a Sony A7-series outfit save? If you want to make a significant dent in the bulk of your outfit, you'll have to both downsize from full-frame format and rationalise your lenses or you'll be back at square one with a big hole in your wallet. No free lunch, you'll have to compromise.

If that's too much, how about a 40/2.8 pancake on the 6D, on a sling strap? Terrific little lens, and great value. The strap is the key to ease of portability for me.

I don't think its GAS, although it did cross my mind. If I can strip back my kit to a camera, a general purpose lens (24-70) and a prime or two it would save me money as well as weight.

My walkabout is Canon 6D (761g) plus 24-70mm F2.8 (950g) - Total weight of 1711g
If I changed to Sony - Sony A7 (474g) plus their 24-70mm lens (426g) - Total weight of 1000g

However I don't think it would be down to the weight, its also the portability of the whole system. Which I don't know regarding the A7 hence the question/thread. If its not much advantage the 6D will stay.

Its certainly an option I could try out, I may possibly try and borrow one from a friend. Its a goo money saving exercise as well

I did have a read through last night actually after a search, some very interesting points, It appears you use yours a lot in studios which would be the opposite to me. However you did raise some good points, especially about battery life etc.

I don't think its GAS, although it did cross my mind. If I can strip back my kit to a camera, a general purpose lens (24-70) and a prime or two it would save me money as well as weight.

My walkabout is Canon 6D (761g) plus 24-70mm F2.8 (950g) - Total weight of 1711g
If I changed to Sony - Sony A7 (474g) plus their 24-70mm lens (426g) - Total weight of 1000g

However I don't think it would be down to the weight, its also the portability of the whole system. Which I don't know regarding the A7 hence the question/thread. If its not much advantage the 6D will stay.

Like for like comparison, Canon 24-70/4 IS is 600g. Or 24-105/4 IS is 670g, 24-105/3.5-5.6 STM is 526g. You need to reduce format size to save significant weight.

As I said, my answer is a carrying solution and if you've never tried a sling strap then you won't know what a difference it can make. Heck, just get a cheapy Black Rapid clone for £6 off Amazon and see how you get on.

If you believe stats like this, either Sony 24-70mm on the A7r would provide sharper results than the 24-70mm on your 6D. However, this is slightly skewed somewhat as you're comparing it on two different resolution sensors and this makes a difference in DXO scoring
http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...SM-on-Canon-EOS-6D__1712_917_1253_917_165_836

In terms of size, here's the Canon and Sony with f2.8 and f4 variants
http://camerasize.com/compact/#380.286,488.515,380.367,488.393,ha,t

I'm some one for who weight and size are critical and have gone through several "down sizing" efforts over the last few years. From DSLR to Fuji to M43, compact, back to Fuji, now having a mix of Fuji X-Pro1 & Olympus M43.

I considered Sony but there are a couple of disadvantages, firstly your not getting lighter lenses, they are just as heavy as the DSLR ones as they are for FF and the newer A7ii range bodies are significantly heavier taking them to a similar weight to prosumer APSC Camera's, the second point is that the lenses apart from the primes aren't that sharp when compared to the competition and are expensive.

The Fuji's are probably your first port of call, either the X-Pro2 or XT-2 depending on what you prefer. The lenses are sharp, contrasty, well made and reasonably priced.

M43 is good, small, light, well made and good iQ but coming from FF you may miss the resolution as the sensor is half the size of FF and doesn't have the same headroom for high ISO/noise.

It's a tough decision.

I went from 5D2, 17-40L, 28/1.8, 50/1.4 & 135L [bit by bit] to Sony A7 - BUT, I got into old manual lenses so I have an even bigger weight/size advantage over someone who is after AF only lenses. My only AF lens is the FE35/2.8 & on the A7 there is no weight to it whatsoever. It is true that most of the Sony FE lenses are a fair size though which goes against it. IQ isn't an issue for me from 5D2 to A7 - If anything I prefer the files from the Sony.

Fuji & M43 are obviously smaller & lighter again but you're obviously loosing sensor size there & hence the IQ/resolution drop might not tick your boxes.

I think I weighed some gear a long time ago & the Sony A7, CV 40/1.4 & Leitz 90/2.8 together were just less than half the weight of the 5D2 & 135L....... Yes, I know that's not a completely fair comparison but it goes to show how small & light you can make things.

As I said, my answer is a carrying solution and if you've never tried a sling strap then you won't know what a difference it can make. Heck, just get a cheapy Black Rapid clone for £6 off Amazon and see how you get on.
I can't second this enough, really isn't tiresome at all carrying a DSLR with medium sized lens on a sling strap.

Well worth trying the M if you can. The only downside to it is the lack of a viewfinder. The LCD screen can be tricky to see in bright light, but the IQ, especially with the 22mm prime lens is impressive and it is HUGELY portable!

I can't second this enough, really isn't tiresome at all carrying a DSLR with medium sized lens on a sling strap.
I think that's fine when you decide 'today I'll schlepp my camera around with me'. For the/my everyday situation the size is most of the issue. I just can't cram my 5D (admittedly with a very small 35/2) into my bag on top of my laptop, the mandatory umbrella, water bottle, headphones, kindle, diary, and the odd pile of papers.

I've also been contemplating this downsize issue for a while. So far I've come up with the following:

Sony A6000/51000:
+ small and lightweight (esp with the kit zoom)
+ fast reliable autofocus
+ EVF (A6000)
+ decent for video
+ integrated into most third party flash producers
- either expensive or not so great lens lineup
- no hot shoe (A5100)

Fuji X100x:
+ 35mm equivalent lens with leaf-shutter (yeah! flash-sync all the way, sod HSS)
- I feel way larger and bulkier than it needs to be
- not getting along with the OVF, obviously the parallax can only be corrected upon focus, but it's still very annoying
- terrible, terrible video (which would be quite restricted with a fixed lens)

Other Fujis:
+ great lens lineup, though the f2 'budget' versions aren't all released yet
+ great EVFs
- video terrible (besides XT2 apparently)
- again, bulkier than they need to be (especially their cheapish X-E/A/Ms)
- no good HSS flash triggers

Canon M:
+ great size
+ tiny 22mm f2 (weeeeh)!
+ great touch screen
+ long established flash systems
- terrible autofocus
- no EVF (well at least not built-in)

m4/3 look great in terms of features and lens lineup, but I just don't want a sensor that small.

As is often said its not what you use its how you use it.It also matters what you shoot.

Lenses are where the biggest weight gains are to be made.

Go to a decent shop that has a few models take an SD card and try some stuff out is my advice.

Last edited:
I think that's fine when you decide 'today I'll schlepp my camera around with me'. For the/my everyday situation the size is most of the issue. I just can't cram my 5D (admittedly with a very small 35/2) into my bag on top of my laptop, the mandatory umbrella, water bottle, headphones, kindle, diary, and the odd pile of papers.

I've also been contemplating this downsize issue for a while. So far I've come up with the following:
Ahh, well that's a different thing altogether and can appreciate that size would make more of a difference (y)

What about trying an XT-10 ?

They are smaller, lighter and cheaper than the XT-1 and XT-2. I'm not going to say the IQ will be as good as FF but for APS-C its about as good as it gets and you get the great Fuji Colours and film modes. The lenses are fantastic and if you are careful about which ones you buy you can keep the weight down. I use the 14mm, 16-50 ii and 50-230 which are all light lenses.

The 35's are also light and then there is the 77g 27mm and the almost pancake like 18mm. Hopefully Fuji is bringing a 23mm f2 lens out soon in a similar size/weight to the 35mm f2 which could be a great walkabout 35mm equivalent lens.

Prices of the XT-10 are daft 2nd hand at the moment and you won't lose much on that or the lenses if it doesn't work out ?

I haven't looked into this at all, will it produce similar quality images to the 6D. The 22mm Lens certainly looks interesting!

Completely agree the A7II isn't a huge downsize in terms of weight. But I would be inclined to transfer to primes, and a single zoom. The A6000 i did look at, but something just drew me to the A7 line.

Thank you all for the input so far!

The Eos M won't get you IQ close to the 6d, it's more akin to a 650d (you're comparing Canon's best full frame sensor, in terms of IQ, vs a pretty standard crop sensor).

The 6d is probably the smallest and lightest full frame DSLR you can get, so you might not find a mirrorless with decent glass not much different in terms of overall size and weight.

Last edited:

Sony A6000/51000:
+ small and lightweight (esp with the kit zoom)
+ fast reliable autofocus
+ EVF (A6000)
+ decent for video
+ integrated into most third party flash producers
- either expensive or not so great lens lineup
- no hot shoe (A5100)

Fuji X100x:
+ 35mm equivalent lens with leaf-shutter (yeah! flash-sync all the way, sod HSS)
- I feel way larger and bulkier than it needs to be
- not getting along with the OVF, obviously the parallax can only be corrected upon focus, but it's still very annoying
- terrible, terrible video (which would be quite restricted with a fixed lens)

Other Fujis:
+ great lens lineup, though the f2 'budget' versions aren't all released yet
+ great EVFs
- video terrible (besides XT2 apparently)
- again, bulkier than they need to be (especially their cheapish X-E/A/Ms)
- no good HSS flash triggers

Canon M:
+ great size
+ tiny 22mm f2 (weeeeh)!
+ great touch screen
+ long established flash systems
- terrible autofocus
- no EVF (well at least not built-in)

m4/3 look great in terms of features and lens lineup, but I just don't want a sensor that small.

This is a very similar situation.
My 'day bag' / work bag is a Billingham Hadley Pro, although the 6D does fit in there, nothing else does. So size for me is definitely a factor as well as the weight.
Had a play with a Canon M and the viewfinder or lack of I find really difficult to work, although I have to admit it is neat and I'm glad the guys in this thread suggested it.
If you can get along without a viewfinder it really is quite a remarkable camera in the balance of money, size and portability.

What about trying an XT-10 ?

They are smaller, lighter and cheaper than the XT-1 and XT-2. I'm not going to say the IQ will be as good as FF but for APS-C its about as good as it gets and you get the great Fuji Colours and film modes. The lenses are fantastic and if you are careful about which ones you buy you can keep the weight down. I use the 14mm, 16-50 ii and 50-230 which are all light lenses.

The 35's are also light and then there is the 77g 27mm and the almost pancake like 18mm. Hopefully Fuji is bringing a 23mm f2 lens out soon in a similar size/weight to the 35mm f2 which could be a great walkabout 35mm equivalent lens.

Prices of the XT-10 are daft 2nd hand at the moment and you won't lose much on that or the lenses if it doesn't work out ?

The whole Fuji range is something I know nothing about, I would like to know more before either ruling it out or spending money elsewhere and regretting it.
Budget would allow an XT-1, if the image quality and IQ could be somewhat similar to the 6D?

The Eos M won't get you IQ close to the 6d, it's more akin to a 650d (you're comparing Canon's best full frame sensor, in terms of IQ, vs a pretty standard crop sensor).

The 6d is probably the smallest and lightest full frame DSLR you can get, so you might not find a mirrorless with decent glass not much different in terms of overall size and weight.

Thank you for the input Jim, it's a valid point and part of the reason for the thread was not only do I want to do it but is I physically possible? or will I effectively be switching systems and be back at square one in terms of weight and size of the overall lens and body combo.

For what you shoot, and X-T1 sounds about perfect. My 6D is going up for sale this weekend as I've barely used it since switching to Fuji in 2014.

However - the 6D gives better detailed RAW files by default (with a decent lens of course), and high ISO is significantly better as you'd expect from a full frame camera. I'd comfortably use the 6D at ISO 6400, whereas the Fuji is slightly worse at ISO 3200. BUT...those Fujinon lenses are lovely, even the cheap ones!

Edit: Also, don't discount the X-T10 or X-E2. Both are cheap used and very similar to the X-T1 functionality wise (now that the X-E2 has had a really good firmware upgrade). These two are even lighter than the X-T1, and despite what a poster above says, the X-E2 is NOT bulky! I have one in my car at all times :)

Last edited:
The whole Fuji range is something I know nothing about, I would like to know more before either ruling it out or spending money elsewhere and regretting it.
Budget would allow an XT-1, if the image quality and IQ could be somewhat similar to the 6D?

As far as I know image quality from the XT-1 and XT-10 are the same ? Same Sensor etc..

Last edited:
This is a very similar situation.
My 'day bag' / work bag is a Billingham Hadley Pro, although the 6D does fit in there, nothing else does. So size for me is definitely a factor as well as the weight.
Had a play with a Canon M and the viewfinder or lack of I find really difficult to work, although I have to admit it is neat and I'm glad the guys in this thread suggested it.
If you can get along without a viewfinder it really is quite a remarkable camera in the balance of money, size and portability.
Same bag here. Green fibernyte with tan? ;)

I think you will have a hard time replacing the 6D with something completely equivalent (if that is really important for you). Maybe you should just keep it and search for a cheap everyday camera. In which case, the Canon M with the 22mm pancake lens could be the right choice, as it would easily fit into one of the Hadley Pro's front pockets.

Similarly sized would be the Panasonic GM5, the Sony RX100s would be even smaller (but hell are they priced steeply).

Haha been having the same problem with my Hadley Pro daybag.... one of the reasons I got rid of the D750, that even with just a 35mm took up too much space!!
I now have an X-Pro 2 which to be fair even with the large 16-55 didn't take up quite so much space in the bag, but with a prime like the 23mm its soo much nicer to carry around than the old DSLR was and I can still get my lunch in!!!

I don't really get this post. Ignoring IQ, etc. and just looking at bulk I understand 7 lenses, gripped body, 2 flashes and not taking it out but that doesn't equate to A7R2 & 35. Ditching 6 lenses, 2 flashes and the grip and not being happy maybe but the bulk probably isn't that dissimilar? :thinking:

It made sense to me! In my scenario, I had all these lenses for all different scenarios; macro, sweeping landscapes, wildlife/birds, portrait, walkabout... it had become more about the gear than the joy of taking the photographs, and I don't currently have the time to go out and shoot insects, flowers, birds or indeed much else.

But now, I have a fantastic "go anywhere" camera, which takes phenomenal images, and means that when I am out and about (e.g. we took our daughter camping this weekend in the Peak District) I have a top-level camera with great optics than can make some beautiful images (let down most of the time by me!).

If I'd sold everything except the body and my Sigma 30mm, or even just bought a nice pancake lens, it would still have been bigger than my current combination. There's various size comparisons out there - http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-7D-vs-Sony-Alpha-7R-II - but even these don't convey the difference in "bulk".

I'd recommend going down the Sony A7II route as apposed to Fuji. The Fuji admittedly has its good points but when it comes to raw IQ, DR and ISO performance it's the full-frame system that's going to give the better overall performance.
The downside is that FF lenses aren't cheap but performance is a step above the Fujinon equivalents.

I'd say go with either the A7II or A7RII paired with the Sony FE 35mm f2.8 and FE 55mm f1.8

Everything depends on your budget.

Same bag here. Green fibernyte with tan? ;)

I think you will have a hard time replacing the 6D with something completely equivalent (if that is really important for you). Maybe you should just keep it and search for a cheap everyday camera. In which case, the Canon M with the 22mm pancake lens could be the right choice, as it would easily fit into one of the Hadley Pro's front pockets.

Similarly sized would be the Panasonic GM5, the Sony RX100s would be even smaller (but hell are they priced steeply).

All black mine with Fibrenyte, although it is green inside! I just didn't get along with the Canon M at all, although I take the point about keeping the 6D and having it as additional.

Haha been having the same problem with my Hadley Pro daybag.... one of the reasons I got rid of the D750, that even with just a 35mm took up too much space!!
I now have an X-Pro 2 which to be fair even with the large 16-55 didn't take up quite so much space in the bag, but with a prime like the 23mm its soo much nicer to carry around than the old DSLR was and I can still get my lunch in!!!

I take this bag to work, on city breaks as a day bag, sometimes even an overnight bag. So this would be a huge factor to fit a 'set-up' in here.

I'd recommend going down the Sony A7II route as apposed to Fuji. The Fuji admittedly has its good points but when it comes to raw IQ, DR and ISO performance it's the full-frame system that's going to give the better overall performance.
The downside is that FF lenses aren't cheap but performance is a step above the Fujinon equivalents.

I'd say go with either the A7II or A7RII paired with the Sony FE 35mm f2.8 and FE 55mm f1.8

Everything depends on your budget.

This is what I am leaning towards at the moment. I think I need to take one out for a test, to see how the AF compares to the 6D and how I get along with the EVF. They are my two biggest hold backs at the moment.

I have a Canon 5D3 and 7D2 and opted for an Olympus M5ii for holidays and non photography days. I was considering the Sony A7 route but decided the lenses meant I was still going to be carrying a fair weight.

I love the little Olympus. There are loads of custom function buttons, so I've set it up similarly to my DSLRs. There's also the articulated touchscreen for candid street shots. I've used it much more than I thought I would! It won't give the same quality/performance as a 6D though. If only you could have both.....:naughty:

Back