The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Only just updated to 3.20... quite a quick update, so good they're actively developing the firmware.

Still no re-design of the menu system though... despite all the grumbles.

I hope they don't re-design them, it's taken me months to get used to it and can find my way around now!

You can already

Please enlighten me? I can not find the setting.

I do hope you're not just going to say use manual mode? I want a proper option so that when I'm in A priority mode it doesn't use 60/1 as the base shutter speed, on Nikon and Canon you can customise this value.

Can't remember where but I can set mine up. I even have a custom button that dives into the minimum shutter speed setting

Thank you very much, I shall have a look tonight. It's been bugging me for ages!

I retract my previous comment where I said I know my way around the menu system!!

Just see Wizzels comment above, unfortunately I have the A7ii none R. Seems a strange feature to save for the top end camera?!

Right folks,
upgraded the firmware on the A7RII to v3.30, really pleased with the image review speed increase, it's better than before.

I did my first Sony firmware update on Tuesday that was v3.1 on the non R model

I'm still using v2 (I think). Didn't bother updating to v3.1 as couldn't see anything extra of benefit.

Is there any difference? (apart from lens compatibility)

On another subject, just seen a rumour on SAR saying the rumoured 16-35 f2.8 should be about the same price as the 24-70 f2.8. Not sure I believe that. My guess is a fair chunk more :)

I'm still using v2 (I think). Didn't bother updating to v3.1 as couldn't see anything extra of benefit.

Is there any difference? (apart from lens compatibility)

On another subject, just seen a rumour on SAR saying the rumoured 16-35 f2.8 should be about the same price as the 24-70 f2.8. Not sure I believe that. My guess is a fair chunk more :)
Sorry don't know I was still on v1 as you can see I keep current ;)

Damn. We need the a7ii updating

Don't think Sony is bothering with the A7II/A7SII as those bodies work with smaller file/data sizes etc.
Sony usually release firmware updates for the bodies all at once if they were going to do it.

It seems Sony has worked on the A7RII coding to speed up the general responsiveness, buffer offloading and the ability to continue shooting for longer once the buffer fills up.
Image reviewing is snappier too.

To me it seems very noticeable, anybody else noticed it or is it my mind and the placebo effect?

It may be Sony are trying to keep the R model more upto date in an effort that attempts justify the huge price hikes

Maybe but it's probably more to do with genuine complaints filtering to turn via professionals regarding buffer/review performance.......

Maybe but it's probably more to do with genuine complaints filtering to turn via professionals regarding buffer/review performance.......

The buffering issue I've read so much about was one of the reasons I went for the standard A7ii.

Well that and I have no need for the high mp, no need for continuous eye focus and liked that I'd read the A7ii was more forgiving lol. Oh, and the cost :D

Just downloaded the Time-Lapse app with the Angle-Shift add on from the app store, pretty impressed with it tbh.

Anyone else tried it?

Also, I didn't realise that once an app is bought can be uploaded to multiple cameras on the same account without extra cost which was a bonus :)

Just downloaded the Time-Lapse app with the Angle-Shift add on from the app store, pretty impressed with it tbh.

Anyone else tried it?

Also, I didn't realise that once an app is bought can be uploaded to multiple cameras on the same account without extra cost which was a bonus :)

Yes I have it and it's better than I expected, and the you said the added benift on using it and multiple compatible cameras is great.

Morning folks

Has anyone bought a cheap mic for the A7 ii yet please I am after a cheap but better than built in mic for very occasional use.

Also anyone bought maybe a small led lcd video light and I think they may be called cold shoe adapter so mic and light could be used together

Really looking at inexpensive solution as I think they would maybe only be used a couple or four times

Look forward for people's ideas

Morning folks

Has anyone bought a cheap mic for the A7 ii yet please I am after a cheap but better than built in mic for very occasional use.

Also anyone bought maybe a small led lcd video light and I think they may be called cold shoe adapter so mic and light could be used together

Really looking at inexpensive solution as I think they would maybe only be used a couple or four times

Look forward for people's ideas

Morning Allan, I have a Sony ECMCS3 lavalier that works really well. I usually use it plugged into a Zoom H1, but it's great plugged straight into camera as well. This is to record my voice, if I need to record a wider areas sound I use the H1 by itself. Here a link to the mic:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0058MJX4O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Video light wise, how small?

Just ordered a really small light that's been getting great reviews. Not sure how big an area it will illuminate yet, but can test tomorrow when it arrives if it helps.

The light is an Aputure AL-M9 which I ordered from eBay as they had it in stock for £50. It's available a lot cheaper though direct from China. Here's a link to it on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391156157457?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I wanted something really small for a project I'm working on that involves talking on camera in the dark. I saw a video where Jared Polin used this light to illuminate himself vlogging at it seemed to work great

Morning Allan, I have a Sony ECMCS3 lavalier that works really well. I usually use it plugged into a Zoom H1, but it's great plugged straight into camera as well. This is to record my voice, if I need to record a wider areas sound I use the H1 by itself. Here a link to the mic:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0058MJX4O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just ordered a really small light that's been getting great reviews. Not sure how big an area it will illuminate yet, but can test tomorrow when it arrives if it helps.

The light is an Aputure AL-M9 which I ordered from eBay as they had it in stock for £50. It's available a lot cheaper though direct from China. Here's a link to it on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391156157457?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I wanted something really small for a project I'm working on that involves talking on camera in the dark. I saw a video where Jared Polin used this light to illuminate himself vlogging at it seemed to work great

That Light looks pretty interesting I be interested yo here your though when you have tested it out. As I've been thinking of one wonder if it would work off camera too so i can light up subjects, mind you i use a LED torch for this..

Thanks David

I would like hearing how you find the light please, I am not looking for miracles in light output as I hope higher iso will help out if needed my main if not only use would be inside historic England castles say for roofs or closer detail some of that I am thinking I can use my Godox 685 flash just the ability of short video clip would be good. My main thought with the one you have selected is how long the battery may last for

The mic must run from the camera battery does it if so does it add much drain please

Many thanks for your help and links :ty:

I have recently bought an A7 II, and find it a bit bulkier/heavier than I had expected coming from a 5d3 and 6d.

The main issue is, it's started giving me Error - restart camera. Once the camera is restarted, it works absolutely fine. It's a quirk, some research indicates this is an IBIS initialisation issue but is there an easy fix? I don't know the warranty status.

I have recently bought an A7 II, and find it a bit bulkier/heavier than I had expected coming from a 5d3 and 6d.

The main issue is, it's started giving me Error - restart camera. Once the camera is restarted, it works absolutely fine. It's a quirk, some research indicates this is an IBIS initialisation issue but is there an easy fix? I don't know the warranty status.

Hi,

What lenses are you using with it, could it be a lens contacts issue?
Warranty can be transfered on Sony bodies so you could call / email Sony and check warranty status?
Sounds like it's got a possible component issue as I've never seen this error on my A7, A7II or my current A7RII's?

Hi,

What lenses are you using with it, could it be a lens contacts issue?
Warranty can be transfered on Sony bodies so you could call / email Sony and check warranty status?
Sounds like it's got a possible component issue as I've never seen this error on my A7, A7II or my current A7RII's?

I'm using an active Camdiox EF adapter, or a passive PK adapter. Both lenses show the same issue.

Will contact Sony now! Didn't know that warranty is transferable. Would I need the original receipt?

Thanks David

I would like hearing how you find the light please, I am not looking for miracles in light output as I hope higher iso will help out if needed my main if not only use would be inside historic England castles say for roofs or closer detail some of that I am thinking I can use my Godox 685 flash just the ability of short video clip would be good. My main thought with the one you have selected is how long the battery may last for

The mic must run from the camera battery does it if so does it add much drain please

Many thanks for your help and links :ty:

I'll give the light a try tomorrow and let you know what I think if it helps.

Battery wise, I did some checking on this before ordering and think it was 1 1/2 hours on full power and up to 13 hours on minimum power. It can also run whilst powered (and charging) from an external battery bank, the same as the A7 can.

As far as the mic's effect on camera battery, I've not noticed any drain at all (although it obviously does use some power). Little mic's don't use a lot of power I don't think anyway, I have an Audio Technica 3350 (from memory) that takes batteries in the cord. It's powered by a couple of watch batteries and they last ages.

A nice thing with the Sony mic is the cable is only about 1m long making it much more manageable imo. Plus the sound quality is really good for something so cheap.

I'll give the light a try tomorrow and let you know what I think if it helps.

Battery wise, I did some checking on this before ordering and think it was 1 1/2 hours on full power and up to 13 hours on minimum power. It can also run whilst powered (and charging) from an external battery bank, the same as the A7 can.

As far as the mic's effect on camera battery, I've not noticed any drain at all (although it obviously does use some power). Little mic's don't use a lot of power I don't think anyway, I have an Audio Technica 3350 (from memory) that takes batteries in the cord. It's powered by a couple of watch batteries and they last ages.

A nice thing with the Sony mic is the cable is only about 1m long making it much more manageable imo. Plus the sound quality is really good for something so cheap.
Excellent news re mic I have just pressed buy lol, I am going to use it on an old Panasonic standard def camera as well that was my main concern for battery use.

Are you using an external battery source for the a7 I ask as I have never bought a pack before but was considering one for my flash as AA batteries tend to go fast nanb nimh are never that good for me

Thanks re light some idea would be great though as you mention your research may have a look on YouTube later tonight :)

Excellent news re mic I have just pressed buy lol, I am going to use it on an old Panasonic standard def camera as well that was my main concern for battery use.

Are you using an external battery source for the a7 I ask as I have never bought a pack before but was considering one for my flash as AA batteries tend to go fast nanb nimh are never that good for me

Thanks re light some idea would be great though as you mention your research may have a look on YouTube later tonight :)

I've not tried an external battery pack on my camera, but I do have a Ravpower unit that I can try and see if it works. The one I have is this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-R...=UTF8&qid=1471871332&sr=8-1&keywords=ravpower

It should work, I remember seeing Lok from DigitalRev using a similar setup for filming with his A7sii, and my Rav unit can charge two devices at once so should work with camera and light at the same time (I hope).

Don't think it would power a flash though, think a far more powerful battery is needed for this?

I have two Godox TT685s and power these with Eneloop rechargeables. Expensive to initially buy, but with a spare set do a good job.

Menu help - I was playing around with lots of settings to get C2 setup for adapted 3rd party shooting. Can't remember what I've changed, but now, when "normal" shooting (i.e. A/S/M mode), I can't select Auto-lock-on eye tracking focussing. So it focusses on the eye/face, but if the subject moves, it doesn't track it.

Can't for the life of me remember what setting this was... Thoughts?

I'm using an active Camdiox EF adapter, or a passive PK adapter. Both lenses show the same issue.

Will contact Sony now! Didn't know that warranty is transferable. Would I need the original receipt?

It could well be the adaptors causing the issue as I've never used adapted lenses etc.
Yes, it's fully transferable, they original owner should have let Sony know.

There is yes, also the FE 24-240mm but doubt they are as sharp as the 70-200mm f4.
I remember somebody once mentioned that my cropped 70-200mm f4 images were as good as stuff they had shot with the Nikkor 300mm.

Or - Sigma 15-600 with adaptor? Or stick native...?

Don't think Sony is bothering with the A7II/A7SII as those bodies work with smaller file/data sizes etc.
Sony usually release firmware updates for the bodies all at once if they were going to do it.

It seems Sony has worked on the A7RII coding to speed up the general responsiveness, buffer offloading and the ability to continue shooting for longer once the buffer fills up.
Image reviewing is snappier too.

To me it seems very noticeable, anybody else noticed it or is it my mind and the placebo effect?
Buffer is still crap on this new firmware I'm afraid. I was out shooting all weekend and it slowed down when I was taking a few burst of shots

Back