The Space and Astronomy Thread

SGL is back! 7th January :D

Not sure if you've seen this Ricardo, but last week NASA's live feed of the ISS transmitted this footage of an unidentified object 'docked' at the space station:

Shortly afterwards the live feed got pulled apparently. :/

Last edited:
Channel 4 all this week at 9pm Astronauts - Living in Space. Living alongside the crew of the space station.

Channel 4 all this week at 9pm Astronauts - Living in Space. Living alongside the crew of the space station.
Watching it now. Surprised when the Jaxa guy said they don't see much of the Russians.

Russian - "Australia is one big flat boring place with crazy salt lakes" :LOL:

Just getting my head round the idea of a star that size hurts!

There is so much that is mind boggling in space.
Just read that the gravitational force of a typical neutron star is such that if an object could be dropped from one metre above the star's surface it would hit the surface at about 7.2 million km per hour.

Dave

There is so much that is mind boggling in space.
Just read that the gravitational force of a typical neutron star is such that if an object could be dropped from one metre above the star's surface it would hit the surface at about 7.2 million km per hour.

Dave

Amazing isn't it. I think Professor Cox illustrating the immense gravity of a neutron star like that in one of his Wonders tv shows.

Don't forget, Cosmos launches tomorrow on Sky 1, Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild and Fox.

Bruce Willis did that years ago, must be true saw it on tv

Actually was pretty good, bit surprised it took ten years, billions of pounds and never took a spare lander, that's confidence for you.

Last edited:
I feel the main experiment was landing the craft on the asteroid, Just in case we have a Bruce Willis moment in the future, NASA may think there's a comet out there with our name on it.:runaway::tumbleweed:

I feel the main experiment was landing the craft on the asteroid, Just in case we have a Bruce Willis moment in the future, NASA may think there's a comet out there with our name on it.:runaway::tumbleweed:

Brian Cox showed astronauts already training for such a mission at the NEEMO facility, in the last episode of Human Universe.

How amazing is it that today they landed a small craft on a Comet millions of miles away!

Yip. More than 500 million miles away. I can't really get my head around the distances and difficulties involved in this - and if it has any practical value at all - but it's a staggering achievement. I'm old enough to remember when space travel meant Dan Dare and Fireball XL5!

How amazing is it that today they landed a small craft on a Comet millions of miles away!

Fairly amazing they even managed to crash on a comet millions of miles away! (Not sure a couple of bounces and the probe ending up on its side counts as a "landing"...)

Fairly amazing they even managed to crash on a comet millions of miles away! (Not sure a couple of bounces and the probe ending up on its side counts as a "landing"...)

I just heard on the StarStuff podcast that it's on its feet. Great achievement nevertheless! X

Comet Lovejoy is visible this month, getting brighter and the month rolls on.

http://astronomynow.com/2014/12/29/get-ready-for-comet-lovejoy/

Also Stargazing Live is going to be on in March this year in case anyone had missed it, to coincide with a partial eclipse of the sun on 21st, should be visible from the UK weather permitting :)

Beagle 2 found!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30784886

It looks like it did indeed land successfully but for some reason some of the solar panels didn't deploy and the radio antenna couldn't be freed from under them.

Colin Pillinger would have been very glad that his baby 'almost' worked.

Comet Lovejoy is visible this month, getting brighter and the month rolls on.

http://astronomynow.com/2014/12/29/get-ready-for-comet-lovejoy/

Also Stargazing Live is going to be on in March this year in case anyone had missed it, to coincide with a partial eclipse of the sun on 21st, should be visible from the UK weather permitting :)

The eclipse is the 20th (Friday), starting about 0830 and lasting about 2 hours in all, with maximum around 0930. It should be pretty special (assuming it's not completely clouded out like I believe it was over Cornwall in 1999................)

Saw this doing the rounds today.

Rockets Of The World

c4fUpbl.jpg

Stargazing Live back tomorrow (Wednesday) and live on Friday morning for the Eclipse. Probably the only way most of us will get to see it :(

Back