The Speed Of Light

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
Not quite but I rather like the title anyway. :D Last night I took a short bike ride to The Warren between Folkestone and Dover and using my trusty D7000 with the bog standard kits lens, I have captured this speeding train. The light flare in the distance is a signal that went from green to red while the photo was being taken.

Settings are 18 mm at f7, ISO 500 for 20 seconds. Following the healthy response to my recent Warp Speed photo, I thought you might like to see this one. I'm rather chuffed (as so to speak) with the way this one went out. :cool:

Sat2023rd20May2015202.jpg~original

I think you should be rather chuffed with it too - I would be :)

Dave

:) It's where the telly was so rubbish last night so I thought I'd finally try and scratch this photography itch. I didn't know what to expect and had to wait 30 minutes in pitch blackness, occasionally checking the camera was primed and ready, and was starting to feel rather cold before I heard the welcoming sound of an approaching train. Upon seeing the preview image on the camera's LCD screen, I thought to myself "Oh yes, perfect, that will do nicely".

Last edited:
I really like the influence of the moon in the shot.

Small question. The train has red and yellow light streaks along the front carriages which suggest the light went from red to yellow but no sign of the green? (it could pass it ok at yellow though, the sequence and position is different to road traffic lights)

The bush to your right nicely finishes the frame off and creates a static point in the otherwise 'moving' scene.

Being 'chuffed' with what is probably a electric train is interesting!

Like the shot though.:)

I really like the influence of the moon in the shot.

Small question. The train has red and yellow light streaks along the front carriages which suggest the light went from red to yellow but no sign of the green? (it could pass it ok at yellow though, the sequence and position is different to road traffic lights)

The bush to your right nicely finishes the frame off and creates a static point in the otherwise 'moving' scene.

Being 'chuffed' with what is probably a electric train is interesting!

Like the shot though.:)

:) Glad you like it!

While the red lights will have come from the rear end of the train (the train was moving away from me when I took this photo), I think the orange part were side lights attached to the side of the carriages and only show up from a particular angle?.
The signal was green when I started on the exposure but changed to red in doing so and ended up with that purple mix on the photo.

Well captured, excellent (y)

yes the moon lends a hand and the flare an objective point
sort of starlight express...
guess the HS2 is being tested out!!

cheers
geof

Back