The state of television broadcasting....

Edit My Images
Yes
How bad is TV in the UK at the moment?

I cant stand it. Sure there are a few gems in there and I dont really watch TV but god it is bad at the moment. You cant turn the box on without some sort of celeb show. Both ITV And BBC showing 'celeb' signing at the moment which is awful. Big Brother on channel 4, again awful.

Daytime TV is as bad. The usual 'oversaturate' the market with the same idea syndrome. Bargain hunting, bargain hunting in the sun, antiques hunting, cash in the attic, all the same, different presenter, different clothes. House hunting, house doctors, home make overs. They are all the bloody same.

Then there are the dreaded daytime TV adverts. You know the ones -

'I was working up a ladder when it slipped ' :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :puke:

'Need finance - talk to blah blah blah' :thumbsdown: :puke:

Arrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh:bang: :bang:

Am I the only one who thinks it really is that bad?

Rant over.

You need to get kids TV mate. It's a whole new world :D

It was all Trisha, Home Loans, debt insolvency and celebrity reality shows.

Now I can sing along with Balamory, learn sign language with Balamory, and have some inappropriate extra-marital thoughts about some of the female 20 something presenters :D

Nope... it really is utter crap most of it, and an insult to your intelligence which is why I don't watch much at all these days. The only saving graces are the wldlife, history and discovery channels, but they get repeated to death anyway. :bang:

DG - Totally agree! - utter tosh on tv - if I didn't watch sport (loads of golf on Sky hehe) the odd comedy (QI HIGNFU etc) & the odd drama, it wouldn't be worth having one!
Paul (y)

I dont watch tv in the daytime as I agree with you... those house hunting/decorating shows annoy me so!!

All I will watch is National Geographic, UK TV History, UK Documentary, Animal Planet etc..

Only decent daytime show....Loose Women ! what a laugh. We time our lunch at work to coincide with it. :LOL:
Plus we learn so much about how the other half think ;) :D

Other great show is of course the one and only spongebob :woot: . but its only on kids chanells during the daytime - no Sky TV at work.:crying:

Other decent prog just started IMO is Ray Mears. Excellent :)

Agree - current UK TV is terrible at the moment, even the documentary channels on satellite which I used to watch most of the time are mostly repeats from 12+ months ago (and were not that interesting then), 90%+ of my viewing time is my DVD collection, would rather watch those than all these lack of any talent, celebrity who?, and dont get me started on soaps, etc :bang:

I like Coronation Street. But thats the only soap I watch. No time for any of the others, Eastenders is a visualisation of Radiohead for me, just makes me want to slit my wrists.

US tv I have a lot of time for 24, Lost (When it was good), Bones, House, CSI (all varieties), Angel and Buffy (oh how I miss angel).

British stuff I'm liking at the moment, Doctor Who, Torchwood, erm thats about it.

Only current stuff I really watch at the moment would be Scrubs and Galactica, never really got into Doctor Who or Torchwood, might have to start watching them.

Agree with everyone. Most everything I watch seems to be American.

Given they are supposed to be the main entertainment channels, the only time I watch ITV1 is "Harry Hill's TV Burp" (back in a few weeks), and BBC one just for "Dr Who", though I am looking forward to the return of "Life on Mars" after having seen it first on Bravo last year.

five US have started showing American episodes of "Whose Line is it Anyway?", aside from still being hilarious it is also depressing in that it reminds me just how good Channel 4 used to be. The only real place for decent British comedy now is Radio 4.

Incidentally, if you like "TV Burp" you might also be interested in a "Charlie Brooker's Screen Wipe" on BBC FOUR which is in a way like a less-family friendly version. Tomorrow at 10pm they are repeating the US special.

Michael (who also misses "Angel")

Daytime TV I never watch mainly because it is daytime tv :eek:

Off the top of my head I've enjoyed:

Brit: Dr Who, Torchwood, Spooks, Judge John Deed, Hustle, QI, Buzzcocks
US: Lost, Smallville, Battlestar Galactica, Scrubs, Malcolm in the Middle

Daytime tv, BB, I'm a celeb get me out of here, are the biggest pile of total tosh ever to have been broadcasted to date, total rubbish. As I do not watch them I wish I could get some of my tv license fee back!!!
As for Sky tv, History, Nat Geo, Discovery, motors tv are the only ones I tend to watch...

Neither of those were on the BBC though (obviously daytime tv is) so your license fee doesn't go towards them :thinking: It does however fund eastenders :(

Its always the same after Christmas. They put a few good films on over the festive season, so naturally your expectations are raised. Then when it goes back to the usual crap in the new year, it always seems to be much worse than it was before.

I recommend Pokoyo. It has a plasticine elephant in it.

Its always the same after Christmas. They put a few good films on over the festive season, so naturally your expectations are raised. Then when it goes back to the usual crap in the new year, it always seems to be much worse than it was before.

I recommend Pokoyo. It has a plasticine elephant in it.

Maybe, however, this 'celeb' drivel has been on far too long and no one is interested. Are they ?

I agree, but there are some good shows out there too..

My favourites are:
Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps
Scrubs
Green Wing
Shameless
Ugly Betty
Match of the day
Little Britain
Never mind the buzzcocks
Skins (not out yet but looks really good)
Street Crime UK
I could go on.. in the past there have been so many great shows like the Fast Show, Bottom and Harry Enfield.

There's always Neighbours around 1 or 2pm. :D

I'm completely with you - I HATE 'CELEBRETIES' and all they stand for, I'm not a soap fan and the rest of the inane bo******s the nation is spoon-fed is insulting.

There is honestly little difference between UK and US tv right now and its something we used to pride ourselves on. The only TV show I watch is Top Gear and like a true masochist I'll watch the rugby and cricket (y)

They put a few good films on over the festive season, so naturally your expectations are raised.

I must have missed those ;) :LOL:

I am desperately waiting the return of Top Gear! Othe than that the only British TV I watch is Torchwood. All the other things I seem to be hooked on are American. I love Extras as well but he only does a couple a year.

I cant remember the last time I turned my TV on, there is very very fews shows I want to see and I prefer to watch them at a time at suits me rather than at broadcast time.

i have to agree with the majority, most TV is abosoultely crap these day's, i find it so hard to comprehend show's like BB when you have the like's of jade goody absolute talentless morans that get air time, it just beggars belief, i tend to watch mainly wildlife and nature programs, and really appreciate how some of the camera work is done, particurly on "planet earth" where they used some of these micro video camera's to get unbelieveable close up shot's of insect's and various other wildlife, apart from that american show's like 24 great edge of the seat stuff, and NCIS as ducky and the rest of the team always use a nikon :D

Plus we learn so much about how the other half think ;) :D

Is that so??? :p

It's funny as we were just having this conversation last night about the total crap on tv, and the money's worth we're not getting from the BBC rip off license fee. If it was up to me, there wouldn't be a tv in our house as I so rarely watch it - even when I'm stuck indoors all day. I'd much prefer to listen to the radio (or PANDORA) or have a good cd playing. Like you say, it's just all the same rubbish - same show, different name kinda thing. The only channels I do tend to have on when I'm really bored are Kerrang and Scuzz, again....music :)

The other half however, is a bit of a tv junkie who is always getting nagged at for watching rubbish American sitcoms. I can't bear them :shake:

I watch a couple of hours a week, the rest is just not worth the effort.

It's all Rupert Murdochs fault, he insisted on starting 6 million tv channels, now there's no money anywhere to make a decent program.

Eastenders is a visualisation of Radiohead for me, just makes me want to slit my wrists.

Oh no Matt!!! Please, please do not use Eastenders and Radiohead in the same sentence...I beg you!!!

Radiohead are the greatest band this country has produced since the fab four (in my opinion of course) whilst Eastenders is, well, tripe squared!

If you think UK TV is bad, come across the pond and try and get along with US networks and then you'll realise how good the Beeb & ITV are.

Since October the major US networks have either pulled shows from the schedule or kept moving them to different times and day. The shows in question were Vanished, Kidnapped, Stand-Off, Day Break, Justice. They were pulled because they weren't pulling in the ratings :bonk: ,which is all the networks care about. The fact that they kept getting moved around to different days and times is never going to help ratings, is it; plus they started airing just before the baseball play-offs :wacky: and then they were put up against regulars like House, Prison Break, Lost & CSI:thinking: .

It's unbelievable to think that they spend all this money on shows, and more often then not they commission 13 episodes, and then never give them a chance. They then replaced proper TV shows with repeats of reality shows or crazy video shows. Pure dumb-Down telly :puke:

At least the UK viewer isn't messed around with new shows as you get them later in the season and also more likely to get a full season.

I really cant be doing with tv these days.
Only things Ive watched in the last year are Ideal (brilliant), Green Wing, & Little Britiain.

Emmerdale? :thinking:
Umm, err ... is that some sort of disease?

Everytime someone at work comes back from being sick they complain about the awful TV. Daytime TV is just a ploy to get you back to work sooner; as Pete is finding out.

Pete, hopefully it will encourage you to get well soon and get out taking pictures again.

Is that so??? :p

It's funny as we were just having this conversation last night about the total crap on tv, and the money's worth we're not getting from the BBC rip off license fee. If it was up to me, there wouldn't be a tv in our house as I so rarely watch it - even when I'm stuck indoors all day. I'd much prefer to listen to the radio (or PANDORA) or have a good cd playing. Like you say, it's just all the same rubbish - same show, different name kinda thing. The only channels I do tend to have on when I'm really bored are Kerrang and Scuzz, again....music :)

The other half however, is a bit of a tv junkie who is always getting nagged at for watching rubbish American sitcoms. I can't bear them :shake:

Min, I like Scuzz too but it is getting a little samey for me. That said the new Slipknot tune and video blew my mind.

Have you heard / seen it?

Pete.

Oh no Matt!!! Please, please do not use Eastenders and Radiohead in the same sentence...I beg you!!!

Radiohead are the greatest band this country has produced since the fab four (in my opinion of course) whilst Eastenders is, well, tripe squared!

Thats a fair shout James Cameron. I concur - though they are up there with many bands. Paranoid Android is THE tune to test any system on however and always blows my mind upon listen. The reverse melody is stunning. (y)

If you think UK TV is bad, come across the pond and try and get along with US networks and then you'll realise how good the Beeb & ITV are.

Since October the major US networks have either pulled shows from the schedule or kept moving them to different times and day. The shows in question were Vanished, Kidnapped, Stand-Off, Day Break, Justice. They were pulled because they weren't pulling in the ratings :bonk: ,which is all the networks care about. The fact that they kept getting moved around to different days and times is never going to help ratings, is it; plus they started airing just before the baseball play-offs :wacky: and then they were put up against regulars like House, Prison Break, Lost & CSI:thinking: .

It's unbelievable to think that they spend all this money on shows, and more often then not they commission 13 episodes, and then never give them a chance. They then replaced proper TV shows with repeats of reality shows or crazy video shows. Pure dumb-Down telly :puke:

At least the UK viewer isn't messed around with new shows as you get them later in the season and also more likely to get a full season.

OZ was the same mate. Scheduling was odd and neither here nor there really either. McLoeds Daughters was awesome though. (y)

You want to try Turkish TV (then again you probably don't). My Turkish in-laws are staying with us for a while over Christmas and the TV is driving me mad. :wacky:

My mother in-law watches Turkish soaps, there is a different one each night and they all last about 2 hours. They even have an X-factor knock-off and that is on for about 2/3 hours :shrug:

Sky has already shown the first six or so episodes of "Standoff" and "Bones" and are now on a mid-season hiatus for a few months. They have also shown the first six episodes of the current season of "Lost" that ABC aired. I am not sure, as I do not watch them, but I believe the "Stargate" series' sometimes get shown in chunks. They also did the same with shows last year, as have E4.

British broadcasters also pull programmes with poor ratings, or move them around the schedule to poor timeslots. Same with starting seasons only to drop them for a few weeks for some sport commitment or another.

Also British dramas tend to be shown in complete seasons because they are usually only about 6 episodes long, and the ones that are not tend to be glorified soaps like "The Bill".

Michael.

Amazing

Me and t'wife were just discussing this very subject last week when we found an old radio 4 tape of 'Sorry I haven't a clue'

It has transformed our evening entertainment.

I pay about £85 a month for full cable tv and broadband package and find ourselves listenening to the radio.

LETS START A SIMPSONS MOB TO GET THE TV SORTED :crowded: :crowded: :crowded: :crowded: :crowded: :crowded: :crowded: :crowded: :crowded:

Now't wrong with the radio mind you.

Ohh, one thing that does really annoy me about TV right now..

Celebrity Big Brother Live :razz:

E4 used to show something decent (usually Shameless) all night but now they show Big Brother all night (I wouldn't mind as much if they weren't asleep :cautious: ) . For someone who doesn't sleep much of a night this is a pain in the :help:

British TV has hit the dumps. It's a bit much when so many posters here prefer many of the US offerings.

When I do find time to watch it's usually one of:

Chelsea TV
House
NCIS
CSI

ummm. That's about it.

Back