Edit My Images:
    Yes
  2. KIPAX

KIPAX Waldorf

Name:
    KIPAX
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Am about half way through and it seems to me all the extra bits, new innovations? are aimed at people who can't take a decent photo and the camera fixes it for you...

3. viewfromthenorth

viewfromthenorth

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That would be useful for 98% of the people who own cameras and smart phones then!

Bebop and jakeblu like this.
  4. LongLensPhotography

LongLensPhotography

Name:
    Truth Teller
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Well the likes of canon and Sony would be crazy not to replicate such features in their cameras. With like for like software larger sensors and better optics would always have the upper hand

petersmart likes this.
  5. HoppyUK

HoppyUK

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Cheers Stewart :) DPReview also video'd that interview and have now put it up here
    https://www.dpreview.com/videos/5389410276/google-pixel-3-camera-feature-deep-dive

There is no doubt that this is the new revolution in photography (mirrorless is just a minor divertion). It's as significant and 'disruptive' as the basic phone camera has already been to mass market photography, and now this new tech seriously threatens the enthusiast end - whether we like it or not. And it's advancing fast - we've seen nothing yet :eek:

What's not to like about that? Well, nothing for the 'greater good' but personally I hate the way that the knowledge and skills (and equipment) I've acquired over the last few decades are being increasingly eroded.

Exactly.

6. Willo

Willo

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Totally agree, they have pretty much seen off most the compact market and starting to nibble at the entry level market. Will I be getting rid of my A7iii? No, but I do use my phone much more as it's just more convenient and image quality is more than good enough.

7. petersmart

petersmart

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Unfortunately throughout history the superior technology has usually supplanted the inferior.

Which is why we now have the internet, cameras in smartphones, USB 3 etc etc.

But there will always be room for the truly great in any sphere.

8. StewartR

StewartR Efrem Zimbalist Jr Advertiser

Name:
    Stewart with a 'w'
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Phone camera "convenient"? I guess it is, so long as you're not trying to take pictures on a sunny day. That's the bug bear for me.

9. furq

furq

Edit My Images:
    No
    Wonder how long before computational photography can pull this off?

(Yeah, why would it want to etc etc)

x.jpg

LongLensPhotography likes this.
  10. Bearair

Bearair

Edit My Images:
    No
    The technology is incredible, for me though investing £700 in a phone is simply too much. My phones get abused and rarely last a year!

I do look forward to a couple of years time when I can buy this type of phone for a couple of hundred quid.

But as has been mentioned what destroys camera phones for me is the lack of a viewfinder. Are there any indications phone companies are developing tech to get around this?

11. frod

frod

Name:
    Kev
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    you mean, the same reason why people buy 35mm sensors and fast primes?