The steps to the church

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Was having a play about when wandering the town.
Just trying different stuff, and gave the up the stairs shot a try.
Thoughts please?

DSC00521 by TheBigYin1984, on Flickr

I have looked at this image for a while now trying to ascertain why I like it.

After some pondering I think it is the low shooting point and foreground steps filling the lower part of the frame contrasting with the bright church in the middle of the frame.

Nice shot all round, works for me!

It's sort of getting there BUT with this subject I would have been tempted to take it more centrally in order to avoid distortion. As it stands you can't get the steps straight without making the building wonky. It is also a bit of a shame you cannot see the church door. Had it been taken a little more centrally and JUST far enough back that you can see the actual door I think it would be a winner.

I would have liked to have seen the steps head
on.

Love the lighting though

It's sort of getting there BUT with this subject I would have been tempted to take it more centrally in order to avoid distortion. As it stands you can't get the steps straight without making the building wonky. It is also a bit of a shame you cannot see the church door. Had it been taken a little more centrally and JUST far enough back that you can see the actual door I think it would be a winner.
I'm quite new to this what do you mean by distortion?
I can't really go back as there is another two flights of stairs behind where I was crouched down, so would see even less of the church then. And the door is round the other side of the building. But I see your point on taking a more straight on shot:)

I would have liked to have seen the steps head
on.

Love the lighting though
It was the lighting that really cought my attention when I was walking about.

I have looked at this image for a while now trying to ascertain why I like it.

After some pondering I think it is the low shooting point and foreground steps filling the lower part of the frame contrasting with the bright church in the middle of the frame.

Nice shot all round, works for me!
This was actually my second shot. The first was taken from a standing position. This one when I was crouched.

Last edited:
This is a view from the bottom of the steps taken 5 minutes ago.
Taken with my phone.

IMAG1197.jpg

Last edited:
In #1 I maybe would have climbe the steps to just below the landing?? great light!!

Back