"The Stig" Just who is he??

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
As Joe mentioned in another thread that Top Gear was starting another series next week :woot:

Just who is The Stig, Did anyone ever find out..:shrug:

The Stig's true identity is never revealed on the show, and in order to maintain the secrecy, all shots show him wearing full racing overalls and matching helmet. All that can be seen from the gap between his helmet and jumpsuit is that he is a white male with dark hair. It is also known that he wears size 10 racing boots as discovered by the Sunday Times when the Driving section wrote an article about the show.[8] During an interview The Stig spoke to a Dutch reporter on camera, revealing a hint of a British accent.[9]

The identity of the first Stig was revealed to be Perry McCarthy when his book Flat Out, Flat Broke was published in 2003. McCarthy is a former Formula 1 driver and test driver for the Benetton, Arrows and Williams teams, and also tested for BMW F1.[2]

The identity of the new Stig has not been officially revealed. In a Winter Olympics special episode of Top Gear, the Stig was shown doing a ski jump using a snowmobile. According to the Swedish tabloid newspaper Aftonbladet, the driver performing the ski jump stunt was Dan Lang, a Swedish snowmobile cross driver.[10] In January 2006, a Daily Express article reported that Julian Bailey was secretly the Stig.[11] In January 2007, Russ Swift, a stunt driver that has appeared on the show a number of times, said in an interview that the Stig is not played by just one person.[12]

It can be confirmed categorically that the current (August 2007) 'main' Stig is Ben Collins, but there are at least two other 'minor' Stigs who have been seen carrying out various drives. Ben was seen repeatedly changing into the Stig suit at the Silverstone 24r Britcar race recently and then seen getting into the Top Gear BMW.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig

KIM - Great report. I think one of the reasons to keep the Stig unidentified is so that they can use great drivers throughout and perpetuate this myth of one great driver...... and it works!

I'm the stig!...... and so is my wife.

it would be great if the stig was james may 'captain slow'

I know for a fact that Stig was found in a dump and quite a successful book was written about his exploits....

:shrug:

;)

Yes, I can confirm this! I have read the book, they also made a TV series of his life.

I believe he may have had to shave off the large beard so he could see out of the racing helmet! :p

Didn't that German bird from the ring do a stint as the Stig(ess)?

Back