The stolen equipment discussion thread......

Admin #1

Edit My Images
No
For discussion in relation to stolen kit.....

For the stolen equipment list sticky go here.

The first entry in the list is from Chee. MOST people do not have a list of their serial numbers and it just goes to show how useful this is! Definitely worth making a note of them for future reference, just in case.

I have been offered a sigma lens for what seems a good price. I have asked the guy for serial number and he is getting it for me ( Won't hold my breath) is there any where I can check to see if a lens has been stolen? I would hate to think I was part of a scam

The first entry in the list is from Chee. MOST people do not have a list of their serial numbers and it just goes to show how useful this is! Definitely worth making a note of them for future reference, just in case.

Thanks, just reminded me that I need to update my list.

I keep a copy in a fireproof safe and also one at my parents house. I'm not even a pro but it took 10 minutes to photograph everything and note serial numbers "just in case"

Mine is encrypted on my server in Germany plus I have it on my local server and my local computer plus I have a backup at my day job - This goes for most of my files :)

All serial no. In two diarys and emailed to me and another trusted person just incase..... Encrypted obviously ;p

Perhaps I don't have a criminal frame of mind, but why encrypt them? What use are your serials to anyone else? They are in your EXIFs. Serial numbers are often visible when people sell kit on here. I think I've even seen people here list serial numbers on their "Camera Bag" page.

Perhaps I don't have a criminal frame of mind, but why encrypt them? What use are your serials to anyone else? They are in your EXIFs. Serial numbers are often visible when people sell kit on here. I think I've even seen people here list serial numbers on their "Camera Bag" page.

I started that, I think, by saying that my backups were encrypted on my server. The actual files aren't, within that backup. I still wouldn't advertise them but if people want them badly enough they can nick them from full exif data.

Great idea, didn't know about the stolen camera website so will save that one

i really must go through all my camera gear and save all the serial numbers on one of my archive HDD's as if i ever got robbed id be BUGGERED! neeeeed to get home insurance too cant keep gambling with no insurance :( i have to get bitten soon, have not had home insurance for atleast 5 years now, thats terrible :(

My insurance company has a record of mine but i keep a record of them as well.

How to recover your equipment

Simple tip make sure you have your name and phone number in the camera memory under copyright information.
If its is recovered you can easy prove to the police its yours.

Super Tip
In the vertical grip of my D800 I have a tracker . looks like a battery about the size of a matchbox. If I phone it on my smartphone I get a map on google with the street and house number where it is ..Cost £29 ..ok put it in your camera box or whatever..if you are quick it gives you a chance to find your gear.

Simple tip make sure you have your name and phone number in the camera memory under copyright information.

Super Tip
In the vertical grip of my D800 I have a tracker . looks like a battery about the size of a matchbox. If I phone it on my smartphone I get a map on google with the street and house number where it is ..Cost £29 ..ok put it in your camera box or whatever..if you are quick it gives you a chance to find your gear.

Name of said tracker..?
Where you got it from etc..

Some good advice on here. Never had anything stolen, would break my heart if I did. Even though all of my equipment is insured.

My biggest advice is purchase specific insurance that would replace your equipment with same model or the newer version if the model is no longer in production. As a former cop, I can tell you the chances of getting stolen equipment back is very slim with serial numbers or without serial numbers.

Super Tip
good idea

Regarding camera gear if travelling abroad using a hire car... as a close mate of mine learnt from recent experience in Athens March 2017 -

1. Have specific photography insurance in place covering all items - this is a must!
2. In tourist areas take note of the people around you and try not to be on your own. Not everyone will be a tourist!
3. Keep all gear in arms reach and in sight. For example don't leave unattended anywhere, even in the boot of a car. If it is left in the boot which is concealed - its very simple to force the drivers lock open on most cars, thus allowing boot to be accessed.
4. Park in designated car parks and try to be in a secure area. Street parking is not advised.
A few simple rules to follow. I'm sure many people can add to this...

Kind regards,
Chris

Hi folks.

I had some gear stolen from the boot of the car outside my front door a few months ago (actually saw the scrote at it though the window but didn't manage to catch him - longer story).

Anyway, about £2k+ worth taken including a top-end tripod/head combo, decent monopod/head & backup/smaller tripod/head.

This was back in Feb and although I was insured, I wasn't insured for the /time/ of night it was stolen so some lessons learned there (including not to be lazy & leave tripods in the boot, even though it's covered).

Anyway, that was in mid-Feb and by chance, a cursory search on ebay tonight has revealed some of my stolen gear! Primarily the most expensive bits (tripods etc.) which is the bulk of what I'd like to get back.

3 of the items are for sale and a further 2 were already sold in the last few weeks, all via the same ebayer (a reseller so to be fair were probably fenced off to them but the fact that my list of gear provided to place at the time matches a list of items for sale by the SAME ebayer should add to the evidence).

Anyway, although I don't have the serials (another lesson learned) I do have some *very* specific info (including photos of identifying marks/scratches etc.) to aid in 100% identifying the main tripod if the police follow up enough to get their hands on it, but I'm just curious about others' experience of getting their kit back in such situations? Thankfully ebay sales are very traceable so even the sold items should be recoverable if a) they believe they're mine and b) the buyer hasn't sold them on further.

So, has anyone else here had a similar experience, i.e. found your kit for sale on ebay & managed to get it back?

Fingers firmly crossed!

Years ago my bag got stolen with 2 cameras in it, one of them with a vintage lens attached. I looked at eBay and other sites for a long time, never found anything that looked like it could be my stuff.

Years ago when working in photographic retail we had a visit from the police regarding a prisoner who had boasted that they 'couldn't prove a thing as he'd sold the gear to *insert name of dealer here* Police officer asked to go through our purchase records as we'd bought other gear off said scrote. Whilst I'm in the basement with officer checking paperwork a colleague came down to announce scrote was back - officer walked upstairs and nicked him with more dodgy gear! We all stood and smirked at the mug while officer told him why he was in the store....

Yesterday was a bad day for me as I had my camera bag stolen from a pub on Blackfirars Bridge.

I was meeting a friend to organise some portraits for her and I had a ton of gear on the back of my chair. Apparently two guys came in with their baseball caps pulled down in their faces who managed to crab my camera bag.

I have now lost 5D3, 24-70 2.8, battery grip, 5 batteries, my universities 35mm, sd & cf cards, iPad pro, 85mm, canon 580ex 2, yongnuo yn600ex rt and 4 pks of enelope Panasonic 2500 mah rechargeable batteries and a charger

Yesterday was a bad day for me as I had my camera bag stolen from a pub on Blackfirars Bridge.

I was meeting a friend to organise some portraits for her and I had a ton of gear on the back of my chair. Apparently two guys came in with their baseball caps pulled down in their faces who managed to crab my camera bag.

I have now lost 5D3, 24-70 2.8, battery grip, 5 batteries, my universities 35mm, sd & cf cards, iPad pro, 85mm, canon 580ex 2, yongnuo yn600ex rt and 4 pks of enelope Panasonic 2500 mah rechargeable batteries and a charger

Oh dear thats terrible , I do hope you were insured , Bastards

Oh dear thats terrible , I do hope you were insured , Bastards

Unfortunately not and this month is my busiest ever. The bit that pains me is that photography is the only way that I can suppliament my basic income enough to support my family adequately.

But I just feel that it's going to work out. I'm seeking a second hand 5D3 to buy now. In the mean time a complete stranger from Facebook has offered to lend me a 5D2 and a 24-105 for the rest of month just to get me through.

I checked my inbox this morning and random people have been making all sorts of kind offers. [emoji22] its quite emotional to see how much support is out there in my local community of Croydon.

Just to see such amazing support from within my community, as foolish as it might sound makes this whole experiemce feel almost worth it.

In my world the cup is always half full [emoji6]

Sorry to read about your bad luck. Depending on the sort of work you do, could it be worth thinking about a mint, used 6D body instead of a 5D III, it will probably be cheaper (about £800 if you haggle hard, perhaps leaving more budget for lenses/flash, etc.) whilst giving similar looking results to get you up and running until you get back on your feet again? Then, by the time you're ready to upgrade it there might be a few more used 5D IVs knocking about. Anyway, just an idea for you to consider, best of luck. (y)

Last edited:
Have you got the serial numbers? Report the theft to all the local shops that would take second hand, CEX, London Camera Exchange etc

Our rental car was broken into in San Fran and my 5dmkii and 24-70 mkii were stolen from the boot. Wish I read this thread earlier!

Back