[The story So Far...........]

Superb, highly inspirational.

Do you have a favourite?

Not really Dominic, I remember each person and our interaction. Some were briefer than others.
That doesn't really answer your question but they were each memorable in their own way.

Great selection of characters there Iain. Do you tell them how to pose? I notice none are really smiling but this really works for the style imo.

I have a favourite, well, 3 to be exact :LOL:

Meh, Amber and Kate are the stand outs for me.

Great selection of characters there Iain. Do you tell them how to pose? I notice none are really smiling but this really works for the style imo.

I have a favourite, well, 3 to be exact :LOL:

Meh, Amber and Kate are the stand outs for me.

Thanks David.
Yes, I generally give suggestions about how I'd like them to stand. Turn shoulders this way, tilt head that way etc.
I prefer the non smiling shots to be honest, just something I've got in my head about how I want the whole project to look.
I think a cheesy smile comes across (at times) as a snapshot.
As I said, I don't really have a favourite but I am pleased more with the latest portraits as I can see some progression in my use of OCF.

@minnnt
Katie's (#25) portrait was simplicity in itself.
Everything just fell into place. I asked her to stand central in the alleyway, had my flash set on 1/32 power shooting through a small softbox.
I took a couple of shots with Katie standing square on, then a couple with her shoulders turned 3/4 position. It was the second shot I went with as both Katie and I chose that one.
It's not very often people ask to see the shot but as Katie is a photographer too, she was keen to have a look.

The quality of your work never ceases to amaze me! Really, really excellent!

Thanks Anthony, such kind comments.
I think the 'secret' to this photography thing is to find something that you love to shoot and hopefully it'll reflect back in your photographs.
I

@minnnt
Katie's (#25) portrait was simplicity in itself.
Everything just fell into place. I asked her to stand central in the alleyway, had my flash set on 1/32 power shooting through a small softbox.
I took a couple of shots with Katie standing square on, then a couple with her shoulders turned 3/4 position. It was the second shot I went with as both Katie and I chose that one.
It's not very often people ask to see the shot but as Katie is a photographer too, she was keen to have a look.

What were her thoughts?

Woz she impressed wiv ur mad skillz?

What were her thoughts?

Woz she impressed wiv ur mad skillz?

She seemed really pleased with the portrait.
Said it was unusual for her not to have her eyes closed in a photograph :D
It was just a great encounter, Katie was very engaging and said I'd given her a boost to her day by asking to make her portrait.

Excellent project and beautifully executed. Images in repose are always much more intriguing than a grin. Keep up the good work! Oh and I do love your use of vanishing point, the girl with the corridor behind being particularly good!

Last edited:
Excellent project and beautifully executed. Images in repose are always much more intriguing than a grin. Keep up the good work! Oh and I do love your use of vanishing point, the girl with the corridor behind being particularly good!

Thanks Nick.
I do like a good vanishing point in my portraits :)

Each and everyone is captivating in its own right, as a set just truly fascinating. Your use of lighting is superb, especially as you are out on the street.

Each and everyone is captivating in its own right, as a set just truly fascinating. Your use of lighting is superb, especially as you are out on the street.

Thank you.
Using the lighting has been challenging at times, I am on a steep learning curve but enjoying it all the same.

Always look forward to your posts Iain, and this doesn't disappoint :) Really brings the project into focus (deliberate pun btw - sorry) - faves? well apart from all of them ... Jagger, Christian and Kate, definitely Kate, what an enigmatic expression just fab.

Always look forward to your posts Iain, and this doesn't disappoint :) Really brings the project into focus (deliberate pun btw - sorry) - faves? well apart from all of them ... Jagger, Christian and Kate, definitely Kate, what an enigmatic expression just fab.

Thanks Paul, I enjoyed making Katie's portrait, the whole encounter was simplicity. The photographs were out of the way rapidly and she was very engaging.

Oddly I spent a little time just looking at the backgrounds and they're all really, really good. Shows that with a little consideration a good portrait can become a great one.

Oddly I spent a little time just looking at the backgrounds and they're all really, really good. Shows that with a little consideration a good portrait can become a great one.

Thanks Michael.
Every background was a considered choice, I've often waited some considerable time at a particular background for someone to come along.

Back