The Strobeam 120cm Octabox

Gone for the Strobeam now Michael but did take a look at the bessel softbox as well.Only thing that put me off about the Bessel was the grid...looks really wide compared to the one I've ordered from Wex.

Cheers for taking time to comment Michael. ;)

I have the lencarta profold 120 octa, great build and reasonably light weight.
It comes with a round masking strip but the grid is extra.

Look same as the Bessel grids.Not ever even used a grid but I'm presuming the tighter the honeycombs then the more control of the light....I think?

Having never used one, what should I look out for when buying one to ensure I don't waste my money?

The purpose of a grid is to 'channel' the light, so it goes where you want it, and not where you don't. Particularly useful when the light is behind the subject and therefore looking towards the camera where there is a danger of flare.

From that, it follows that an efficient grid will have a bit of depth, but more importantly for the squares to be closely spaced so there is much less chance of light shining through between the gaps.

Well looks like I won't be testing out my Octobox as Wex have sent me a Strip light softbox.

Not quite true as Essential supply two types of grid, those with a 4cm cube pocket (same as Lencarta) and those with a much bigger one which I'd agree is less than effective.

Paul
Fair enough then, I'll rephrase that.

The honeycomb grids shown in those photos are useless.

As Richard says, the pockets need to be both close together and deep, if they're not then they're useless.

Like most things in life, there are compromises. The very best ones I've seen were made by Chimera, they offer(ed) a range of different pocket sizes, so that when only a fairly mild effect was needed you could choose one type, and when ultra efficiency was needed you could choose the one at the other end of the scale - there are/were 4 different flavours I think. The tighter they are, the more light they 'eat'.

The problem is, the tighter the grid, the more it costs and the less light efficient it is, and the very tight ones are extremely expensive. It follows then that 'copycat' honeycomb grids, made cheaply by people who don't use them and don't understand their purpose , are going to skimp on design qualities, materials and labour.

Basically when they're included free, they're worth what they cost you.

Last edited:
Fair enough then, I'll rephrase that.

The honeycomb grids shown in those photos are useless.

As Richard says, the pockets need to be both close together and deep, if they're not then they're useless.

Like most things in life, there are compromises. The very best ones I've seen were made by Chimera, they offer(ed) a range of different pocket sizes, so that when only a fairly mild effect was needed you could choose one type, and when ultra efficiency was needed you could choose the one at the other end of the scale - there are/were 4 different flavours I think. The tighter they are, the more light they 'eat'.

The problem is, the tighter the grid, the more it costs and the less light efficient it is, and the very tight ones are extremely expensive. It follows then that 'copycat' honeycomb grids, made cheaply by people who don't use them and don't understand their purpose , are going to skimp on design qualities, materials and labour.

Basically when they're included free, they're worth what they cost you.

Yes, completely agree with all the above & the reason I know Essential do a 4cm pocket grid is that I ordered a strip box from them a few hours before I posted. I don't expect either the grid or softbox to be great quality, it's too cheap for that. Probably on a par with the Jinbei's ones I have - but that's OK they don't get heavy use.

Paul

Won't that mean you can't return it for exchange?

Paul

Everything is not really wrapped up...can put it all back in wrapping without it looking like it's been touched.Saying that I don't think I will bother touching it just in case they don't accept it back for exchange if it looks like I've used it...better safe than sorry.

Well have to wait even longer as WEX sent me another Strip light softbox instead of the Octobox.:bang: Seem a load of boxes have the wrong labels so told them to open my order a treble check it.:LOL:

Wonder if any people got Octobox's instead of stripboxes and decided to not bother telling WEX?:D

Received my Essentials (branded PixaPro) strip box today with 4cm grid and it is as far as I can tell made by Jinbei (materials, construction method, even down to the 'brand' stitching on the labels & the rather poor carry bag) this was in comparison to my Jinbei pro softbox - so an OK softbox for the money IMO.

Paul

As grabbed from Amazon advert ;-

EssentialPhoto PRO Rectangular Recessed Easy open Umbrella softbox with 4 mm honeycomgrid (30x140cm) by EssentialPhoto

As grabbed from Amazon advert ;-

EssentialPhoto PRO Rectangular Recessed Easy open Umbrella softbox with 4 mm honeycomgrid (30x140cm) by EssentialPhoto

Yes, I suspect that would be a typo :LOL: and for clarity, I didn't buy the pro folding ones or indeed from Amazon - !0% off currently on eBay.

Paul

Last edited:
Back