The thread in the bottom of the camera

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
So many camera carry systems use the 1/4 inch thread socket on the bottom of the camera and I always wonder just how strong that little tripod mount actually is. I carry my Nikon D810 plus a 80-400mm lens (total weight about 2.75kg) and use a Black Rabbit Breathe (although I have just ordered a Peak Design Clip for when I go cycling) which uses the tripod mount hole and all seems fine, but there is always that nagging doubt about the strength of that little threaded mount.

Has anyone ever damaged the 1/4 inch thread in the bottom of the camera by applying too much force to it?

I've seen an Olympus one ripped out of a film camera, the mount was attached to the cameras frame with three tiny grub screws, nut much bigger than the ones you'd get in a pair of glasses. Not impressed, glad it wasnt my camera.
That was back in the days when cameras had a metal bottom plate that covered the frame.

I think you’re right to be concerned, it’s designed for securely holding a cameras weight towards the earth, while that’s already being pulled down by gravity.

If I was carrying that camera and lens though, I’d be mounting the strap to the tripod hole on the lens foot. Where the threads are more likely to be integral (rather than an insert). I’d also be adding a second anchor point for ‘just in case’.

But with all sling straps the likely fail point is elsewhere, with the over engineered metal fittings more likely to fail than plastic clips.

Reactions: Nod
I've had a 1DX body with 300 f2.8 lens hanging off the mounting hole using a black rapid strap for about 10 years now without any issues at all. I'm on my second black rapid strap, as the metal carabiner had started to wear after about 7 years, so I replaced it to erro on the safe side.

I think you’re right to be concerned, it’s designed for securely holding a cameras weight towards the earth, while that’s already being pulled down by gravity.

If I was carrying that camera and lens though, I’d be mounting the strap to the tripod hole on the lens foot. Where the threads are more likely to be integral (rather than an insert). I’d also be adding a second anchor point for ‘just in case’.

But with all sling straps the likely fail point is elsewhere, with the over engineered metal fittings more likely to fail than plastic clips.

I usually use the lens if carrying for a while, I bought an extra anchor for the purpose, but there are occasions when a lens gets changed so the whole lot uses the camera hole.

In my post above , I mention buying a Peak Design Capture Clip, at least then the camera combination is not hanging directly downwards so there is a shear force rather than a pulling force on the thread.

I seem to remember it being a problem occasionally on the Fujifilm X-T1? I'm guessing though that's with cameras that got heavy use.

If your lens has a "Foot" with a thread for mounting I would use that. It's designed to take the weight and will balance your camera / lens better.
A WORD OF WARNING! When you change lenses, the ususal thing is to hold on to the lens and let the camera hang on the strap...the camera is no longer on a strap and will fall to it's death if you let go! I haven't done it, but I'm sure I will! :eek:

Last edited:
A 1/4" thread is more than up to anything you can through at it, failure will normally occur where the threaded socket is attached to the camera chassis. I have seen a few instances where a tripod has been knocked over and ripped the bottom pout f the camera.

569e9f6e7ad4426d97e08879e20cb8df

I use a Joby sling strap and back it up with a little tether made from a black shoelace that I connect between one of the camera strap attachment points and the sling.

Ouch!
A 1/4" thread is more than up to anything you can through at it, failure will normally occur where the threaded socket is attached to the camera chassis. I have seen a few instances where a tripod has been knocked over and ripped the bottom pout f the camera.

569e9f6e7ad4426d97e08879e20cb8df

If your lens has a "Foot" with a thread for mounting I would use that. It's designed to take the weight and will balance your camera / lens better.
A WORD OF WARNING! When you change lenses, the ususal thing is to hold on to the lens and let the camera hang on the strap...the camera is no longer on a strap and will fall to it's death if you let go! I haven't done it, but I'm sure I will! :eek:
I can tell you all about that. My D750 hit the ground fairly hard and it shifted the AF sensors so focussing became a nightmare. Fortunately, Nikon were able to repair it :)

Back