The time is now

This is something fresh other than bugs and flowers.

I really really like this image. It almost looks like a convincing advert although I reckon the watch could do with some extra PP to make it stand out just a little more from the background.

I gather the surface was a chessboard? Either way it is a nice way to add an interesting element to the image.

Would love to see an edit of this as an actual advert.

The watch could indeed do with a bit more PP, it's a few years old now and worn daily so it's got some scarring :(

The checkers patten actually comes from a table place mat I picked up in Tesco for a couple of quid because I liked the way the light fell on it.

Thanks for the comments :)

I like it a lot, I've a few place mats myself that I like to use for this kind of thing, did you ever source your Perspex that you were after Brian? As to improvement I would like to see just the smallest bit of light to the left of the watch where the shadow causes the watch to be lost into the background (y) reminds me I really need to get a new battery in my watch :LOL:

No, never managed to find the perspex at a reasonable price :(

I did try and reflect a bit of light back onto the upper left shoulder of the watch using a white envelope that just happened to be on the table :D but found it brightened the place mat too much.......the matting itself has had no PP save for a few little bright specs, the fall off is as shot.

I did try and reflect a bit of light back onto the upper left shoulder of the watch using a white envelope that just happened to be on the table :D but found it brightened the place mat too much.......the matting itself has had no PP save for a few little bright specs, the fall off is as shot.

Well if I come across any at a good price I'll be sure to let you know :)

I suspect I'd have ending up doing the lighting in the form of a little bit of light painting, though I like the idea of a little bit of reflected light trouble is as it sounds like you've found all the the most minimal of light it's going to over power and spoil the natural fall off

Last edited:
Hard to light paint on a dining table with high ambient light levels :D

How much Perspex do you want - I use it for fronting interpretation boards quite a lot , so if its not massive I could get you an offcut.

Was looking for something to fit on a dining table, so maybe 3ft x4ft or there abouts.

too big for an offcut - I could get one at cost on the next order (we buy it in A0 sheets and break them down on with a plunge saw) but getting it from devon to Cheshire could be interesting as it would be a tad too big to post.

good point - but I'm not coming , swimbo has booked a holiday that week.

I got my A4 pieces on eBay for only a couple of quid each, but that was a few years ago. I'm sure the suppliers did quite large pieces at the time because I was going to get larger ones.

I thought I was supposed to be setting fire to you :(

I thought you were setting fire to chris while I watched out for the police ?? (or were we no supposed to mention that ? ) - I'm sure you'll find other volunteers.

as regards the perpex , it would be interesting to know what Brian considers a reasonable price - we get ours from a builders merchant , as I recall its about £15 ex vat for a AO piece

It the postage costs that make online purchase costs prohibitive. The suppliers I've checked want more for postage than they do for the plastic. Estimates have been the wrong side of 50 quid which for very occasional table top usage is a bit steep.

That is indeed ridiculous - you can get it in B&Q for about 20 odd quid for a 3x4 (Which I'd have said was expensive)

Really, I've visited 2 B&Q superstores and both have said they don't do it.

:cautious: I'm after gloss or piano black really, but at a push clear with coloured paper underneath would work.

they definitely do clear in the B&Q in Exeter and Wickes - I've used them in emergencies when we've run out - I dunno about black as we only ever use clear

Next time you go, see if you can get a photo of the barcode and FB it to me. :)

will do - alternately you could try a local sign makers - they often have offcuts they'll swap for a some beer vouchers off the books

Back